Favre not giving up on Reus despite reports he'll miss rest of season

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is not giving up on Marco Reus playing again this season despite reports claiming his 2019-20 campaign is already over.

Reus suffered a groin injury during a DFB-Pokal match in February, and although he was only thought to be facing a month out, the 30-year-old still has not been able to return to full training.

It was reported earlier in the week that Reus will definitely miss next Tuesday's Klassiker against Bayern Munich, and an absence until the end of the season is likely.

Favre, speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Wolfsburg, refused to openly confirm or contradict those claims, though he did appear hopeful that Reus would be able to feature again this term as Dortmund challenge Bayern for the Bundesliga title.

"He hasn't trained with the team yet," Favre told reporters.

"We hope that he will come back as soon as possible and can help us until the end of the season."

There was positive news with respect to Emre Can and Giovanni Reyna. The midfield pair missed the 4-0 win over Schalke as Dortmund resumed their season last Saturday, and they are due to be involved in team training on Friday.

Dortmund have had to contend with numerous injuries of late, with Axel Witsel still out with a muscular problem and Dan-Axel Zagadou set for a long absence due to a knee ligament injury, but Favre feels such issues were to be expected following the coronavirus-enforced pause.

"We trained first in groups of two, then in groups of four. There is a certain danger," he said. "We all did not train normally and then had to train properly four or five days before a championship game, duels. This is not a big surprise for me."

Related items

  • Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern

    Diego Costa is set to miss Atletico Madrid's Champions League opener against Bayern Munich after suffering a left thigh injury. 

    Atleti striker Costa partnered Luis Suarez in attack against Celta Vigo in LaLiga on Saturday but had to be substituted in the 50th minute of the 2-0 victory at the Balaidos. 

    The 32-year-old, whose only goal this season was in the 6-1 win over Granada in September, is not expected to feature in the trip to Champions League holders Bayern on Wednesday, though no time frame for his recovery was provided. 

    A statement published on Atleti's website on Monday read: "Diego Costa underwent tests at the Clinica Universidad de Navarra that confirmed he has suffered a muscle injury in the left thigh. The striker is pending response to treatment."  

    Costa managed just one shot on goal during his time on the pitch against Celta but boss Diego Simeone was impressed with his link-up play with Suarez, who reached 150 LaLiga goals with an early strike.  

    "I liked the mix of the two. The characteristics of the two allow them to play together," he said. 

    "They give us strength in attack, and presence and personality in the penalty area. It's one of the options the team has." 

  • Van Dijk was too lazy and too arrogant but now he's one of the best - Koeman Van Dijk was too lazy and too arrogant but now he's one of the best - Koeman

    Virgil van Dijk used to be "a little bit too lazy" and "a little bit arrogant" on the pitch but has become one of the world's best defenders, according to Ronald Koeman. 

    Koeman was Southampton manager when Van Dijk arrived in the Premier League from Celtic in 2015 and also worked with him during his time as head coach of the Netherlands.

    The Dutch defender established himself as one of the division's best centre-backs at St Mary's Stadium and in the January transfer window of 2018 completed a £75million move to Liverpool, making him the most expensive defender in the world at the time. 

    Van Dijk was not dribbled past by a top-flight opponent between March 2018 and August of the following year, while last term he became only the fifth outfield player in Premier League history to contest every minute in a season for the title-winning side. 

    Koeman, who now coaches Barcelona, praised Van Dijk for erasing the negative aspects that existed in his game when he first arrived at Southampton. 

    "I think it was great to work with Virgil because he was an open guy in communication. He liked to learn from everybody," Koeman told UEFA.com 

    "He had to change his personality a little bit because sometimes he was a little bit too lazy. Maybe people will tell you that he was a little bit arrogant in his football. 

    "We worked really hard, but the credit is for the player. He is now, in my opinion, one of the best defenders we have in football." 

    Van Dijk is expected to miss the majority of the rest of the 2020-21 season after sustaining knee ligament damage in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Everton that will require surgery. 

    The 29-year-old has only previously missed one Premier League game for Liverpool since signing. 

  • Rumour Has It: Traore to extend Wolves stay despite Barcelona, Liverpool interest Rumour Has It: Traore to extend Wolves stay despite Barcelona, Liverpool interest

    Adama Traore is reportedly set to snub Barcelona and Liverpool to extend his stay at Wolves.

    Traore has been linked with a move away from Wolves, where he arrived from Middlesbrough in 2018.

    But the winger is seemingly happy at the Premier League club.

     

    TOP STORY – TRAORE TO EXTEND WOLVES STAY DESPITE BARCELONA, LIVERPOOL INTEREST

    Traore is set for a pay rise and is close to agreeing to a four-year deal with Wolves despite interest from Barcelona and Liverpool, according to The Sun.

    The three-time Spain international is reportedly set for the new contract despite having a deal until 2023.

    Barcelona and Liverpool have been linked with Traore previously.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Paulo Dybala's Juventus future is again a talking point. An unused substitute against Crotone on Saturday, Dybala reportedly clashed with Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A champions are preparing for Dybala to exit amid links to Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, and they are eyeing Salzburg teenager Luka Susic.

    - Manchester United missed out on Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho during the close season, but there is a belief the Premier League giants will target the attacker again in January or next year, according to the Daily Star.

    - Marcelo Brozovic could be set for an Inter exit. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A club are prepared to sell the midfielder in January, with interest from Tottenham and Monaco.

    - As he continues to impress at Salzburg, Dominik Szoboszlai is linked with a move. Football.london says the Hungary international is a target for Arsenal.

    - Compared to Portugal great Luis Figo, Sporting CP teenager Luis Gomes is a target for Manchester United, according to the Mirror.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.