There is nothing to announce - Neuer denies Rummenigge's suggestion Bayern deal is close

By Sports Desk May 17, 2020

Manuel Neuer denied Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's suggestion that he is close to signing a contract extension at Bayern Munich.

Germany international Neuer is contracted to Bayern until the end of next season and negotiations over a renewal have become tense.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper last month denied reports he was demanding a five-year deal worth €20million annually and expressed his disappointment that details from the talks had been leaked in the media.

Bayern have a deal in place to sign Alexander Nubel from Schalke at the end of the season but Rummenigge remains confident fresh terms with Neuer will be agreed.

"I'm cautiously optimistic that Manuel will soon accept FC Bayern's offer," Rummenigge told Sky ahead of Bayern's 2-0 win over Union Berlin on Sunday, their first game since the Bundesliga was suspended amid the coronavirus pandemic in March.

"Manuel Neuer knows what he has at FC Bayern and FC Bayern knows what it has in Manuel Neuer. Therefore, it is a marriage that will continue in the future."

However, Neuer painted a different picture after the match.

He insisted confirmation of the extension was not imminent but still believes an agreement can be reached.

"I think Karl-Heinz Rummenigge knows what's going on. There is nothing to announce at the moment," said Neuer.

"There is no ultimatum. It is not necessary to make such a decision at the moment.

"We are both optimistic, of course, but it is still not clear at all."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen

    Philippe Coutinho's move to Arsenal is seemingly getting close.

    The Brazil international has been on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona in 2019-20, but is expected to leave Camp Nou permanently.

    A return to the Premier League has been mooted.

     

    TOP STORY – ARSENAL DEAL FOR COUTINHO IS 'ADVANCED'

    A deal sending Coutinho to Arsenal from Barcelona is "more advanced", according to Sport.

    The former Liverpool star would head back to England less than three years after leaving Anfield.

    Coutinho has scored nine goals in 34 games for Bayern in 2019-20.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There could be good news coming for Barcelona. Mundo Deportivo reports Marc-Andre ter Stegen has agreed to extend his deal at the club for five years, but there is still no financial agreement between the parties.

    - Jerome Boateng's Bayern Munich future seems uncertain. Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sell the defender, who would like to extend his contract beyond 2021.

    - Takefusa Kubo looks set for another loan spell away from Real Madrid. AS reports Kubo will join Villarreal on loan for 2020-21, having spent this season at Mallorca.

    - Are Liverpool looking for a back-up for Andy Robertson? The Athletic reports the Premier League champions value left-back Jamal Lewis at £10million, but Norwich City will not even enter talks for less than £20m.

    - Contracted at Manchester United until 2022, Tahith Chong could be heading elsewhere to gain experience. Sport Bild says Werder Bremen are in talks with United over a loan deal for the attacker.

    - After losing the Championship play-off final, Brentford may also see a star depart. The Guardian reports Crystal Palace are battling with Aston Villa to sign Ollie Watkins, who scored 26 goals in 49 Championship games in 2019-20.

  • Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke

    Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insisted there had been "no contact" with Manchester United about Jadon Sancho.

    Sancho, 20, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League giants, with recent reports suggesting a £108.5million (€120m) deal was close.

    However, Watzke dismissed those reports, saying there had been no contact between the clubs regarding the England international.

    "So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung on Wednesday.

    "Also not directly or through alleged intermediaries."

    United are reportedly prepared to walk away from the Sancho deal amid an unwillingness to meet Dortmund's asking price.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said he expected Sancho to be at the club in 2020-21.

    "I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

  • Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Alexis Sanchez will join Inter on a permanent deal but would not be drawn on Manchester United's pursuit of Jadon Sancho. 

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said on Wednesday that he expected to announce the signing of Sanchez, who has been on loan at San Siro this season, on a three-year contract on Thursday. 

    Speaking after United's 2-1 win over LASK in the last-16 second leg of the Europa League, Solskjaer wished Sanchez well in Italy, where he has begun to rediscover his form after a torrid time at Old Trafford. 

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed," Solskjaer said. "Alexis enjoyed his time there. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football. 

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best." 

    With Sanchez leaving, the number seven shirt will become vacant at United as they attempt to strike a deal to bring in Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. 

    The England star is said to be keen on a move to the Premier League, but Dortmund have been holding out for a sizeable transfer fee, reportedly at least €110million. 

    United are believed to be unwilling to sanction such spending amid the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and are eager to reduce Dortmund's asking price, while hoping to pay some of the fee in installments or bonuses. 

    Solskjaer insisted there was no update in terms of United's pursuit of transfer targets, though. 

    "We're looking into all transfers differently," he said. "I'm not going to speak about individuals that are not our players, so no news, no updates. 

    "We'll update you if something happens."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.