De Jong can be 'a great successor to Busquets' at Barcelona - De Boer

By Sports Desk May 12, 2020

Frenkie de Jong can be pleased with his first season at Barcelona and has the potential to successfully replace club legend Sergio Busquets, according to Ronald de Boer.

Netherlands international De Jong has faced criticism from some sections since joining Barca from Ajax in a reported €75million transfer last year.

De Boer believes his compatriot has adapted well to life at Camp Nou, however, with former team-mate Matthijs de Ligt's early struggles at Juventus being held up in comparison.

"People said he didn't reach the level he reached with Ajax last season in Europe or with the national team," De Boer told BarcaBlog. 

"But not everyone can say that they play so many minutes with such a strong team, so I think he's doing well.

"You see how another young player like De Ligt had a harder time, while everyone thought he would play regularly from the start. 

"He is doing very well when you consider that this is his first season."

De Jong has two goals in 37 games this term, but De Boer insists it is better comparing him to Busquets, who is regarded as arguably the finest holding midfielder of his generation.

"If he's going to play as a central midfielder, I'm sure he'll be successful," said De Boer, who won the LaLiga title with Barcelona in 1998-99 before joining Rangers the following year..

"He is a controller, you should not ask him to score 20 goals, he is not such a player. 

"I am sure he will be a great successor to Busquets in the future."

Related items

  • Isco wants to try another league – agent Isco wants to try another league – agent

    Isco wants an exit from Real Madrid and LaLiga, according to his agent.

    The 28-year-old, who is contracted at Madrid until 2022, has struggled for game time, making just three league starts so far this season.

    Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City have been linked with the 38-time Spain international, who has been at Madrid since 2013.

    His agent and father, Francisco Alarcon, said Isco was seeking a move, but would have no problems staying at Madrid.

    "Right now, we have no offers, but Isco wants to try another league," he told Cadena SER on Monday.

    He added: "Staying in Madrid would not be a problem."

    Isco has won two LaLiga titles and four Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies since joining Madrid from Malaga.

    However, he last made at least 20 league starts in a single campaign in 2017-18.

  • Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo insisted Cristiano Ronaldo does not receive any special treatment at the Serie A giants.

    Ronaldo has made a fine start to the season for Juve, scoring eight goals in his first six games.

    His brace guided Juve past Cagliari 2-0 on Saturday, and Ronaldo has scored 29 of Juve's 59 Serie A goals in 2020.

    Ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash against Ferencvaros, Pirlo discussed Ronaldo – and said the five-time Ballon d'Or winner was treated like any other player.

    "I haven't challenged [Ronaldo] on set-pieces yet. I treat him like I treat all the other players. I'm always available on and off the pitch," he told a news conference.

    "It's easy to have a good relationship between humble people. I'm like that.

    "I behave with him – a champion – like I do with [Gianluca] Frabotta or [Manolo] Portanova, who are two young players.

    "I do the same things I was used to doing when I was a player."

    All eight of Ronaldo's Serie A goals this season have come from inside the box, while he has converted 75 per cent of his big chances.

    Ahead of hosting Ferencvaros, Juventus are second in Group G, three points adrift of Barcelona.

  • I haven't been at my best – Griezmann I haven't been at my best – Griezmann

    Antoine Griezmann admitted he was yet to get to his best at Barcelona and said he needed more time.

    Griezmann has struggled to make his mark at Barca since arriving from Atletico Madrid for €120million last year.

    The forward has scored just 17 goals in 58 games in all competitions for the LaLiga giants, who are struggling in 13th in the table.

    Griezmann said he was prepared to accept criticism of his performances, but highlighted it had been a difficult period for the club.

    "I accept them because I know that we are not seeing the best Griezmann," he told Movistar on Monday.

    He added: "In a year and a half I have had three coaches ... that's not easy. I need time to adapt to my colleagues and they to me, and on top of system changes.

    "In addition, the candidates for the presidency also talk about me. I don't think it's the best thing for me for them to talk about whether or not I'm a good signing."

    Griezmann has scored two goals and provided one assist in eight LaLiga games so far this season.

    His big chance conversion (50 per cent) is at its highest since 2017-18, when it was 59.3 per cent and he netted 19 league goals for Atletico Madrid.

    However, his involvement at Barca compared to Atletico is down. Only once during five seasons at Atletico – in 2014-15 – did he have fewer successful passes per 90 minutes than so far this season (28.4). His 43.4 touches per 90 this campaign are lower than he had in any of his seasons at Atletico.

    Griezmann has also created just 0.7 chances per 90 minutes in LaLiga in 2020-21, and not once did he have a lower figure at Atletico.

    Coming off a 1-0 loss to Atletico, Barcelona visit Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Tuesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.