Bayern drive Neuer mole back under ground after captain's complaint

By Sports Desk April 26, 2020

Bayern Munich are confident they have scared off the mole whose leaks threatened to scupper crunch contract talks with captain Manuel Neuer.

Star goalkeeper Neuer had revealed his irritation at news of negotiations reaching the German media, even if the details were not always accurate.

The Germany international scoffed at talk of him demanding a five-year deal but appeared to indicate there were accurate aspects of private negotiations reaching the public domain.

In an interview last weekend, Neuer said his long-held sense of "appreciation" at Bayern was being affected by details emerging in the press.

Alarmed by the prospect of skipper Neuer having his trust in the club affected, Bayern have taken steps to quash the prospect of any further leaks.

"We have clarified this internally," said sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic. "And since nothing has become known since then, I assume that the mole has moved on."

Speaking to the Welt am Sonntag newspaper, Salihamidzic underlined Bayern's desire to see 34-year-old Neuer commit to the club beyond his current deal, which expires after the 2020-21 season.

"Manuel knows that we really appreciate him," Salihamidzic said. "I played with Oliver Kahn. I know how good a world-class goalkeeper is for a team.

"Manuel is a world-class goalkeeper. He is highly valued in our club. I hope we can extend the contract with Manuel."

Bayern head coach Hansi Flick has vowed Neuer will remain his first choice next season, despite the impending arrival of Alexander Nubel from Schalke.

Related items

  • Davies will take care of Messi, claims Bayern chief Davies will take care of Messi, claims Bayern chief

    Alphonso Davies is capable of managing Barcelona talisman Lionel Messi in the Champions League quarter-finals, according to Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

    Davies, still just 19, joined Bayern from Vancouver Whitecaps in January 2019 but has forced his way into Hansi Flick's first team this season.

    The speedy Canada winger has forged a starting role at left-back, meaning David Alaba has played in the centre of defence while Lucas Hernandez has spent much of his first Bundesliga campaign injured or on the bench.

    Davies was named the German top flight's Rookie of the Season and particularly excelled in both legs of the Champions League last-16 tie with Chelsea.

    Now, in the final eight in Lisbon, Davies might be tasked with handling six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi.

    But Rummenigge told Sky Sport: "Alphonso had a great season and was rightly voted Rookie of the Season.

    "Should Messi play on his left side, Alphonso will take care of him. It will be a difficult but interesting task. Davies hasn't been dribbled past or overrun much this season."

    Davies is certainly relishing the prospect of taking on his boyhood idol, telling UEFA.com: "Growing up, I used to watch him all the time and now I'm defending against him; it's going to be a whole different ball game.

    "But for me, it's just playing my game, changing nothing on my side and just hopefully doing my best against him.

    "We know that he's a great player - we're not going to take that away from him - so the best you can do is try, I guess."

  • Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli

    Mario Balotelli looks to have no hope of a move to Besiktas after club president Ahmet Nur Cebi said the Italian is not wanted by coach Sergen Yalcin.

    The Turkish Super Lig giants were reported to have offered Balotelli a lucrative contract, with the striker likely to be on the move again after a turbulent first season with Brescia.

    Brescia president Massimo Cellino revealed in May he expected Balotelli to leave his hometown club at the end of the season as the 30-year-old "no longer has his head with us".

    Cellino's comments came following reports the former Italy frontman failed to attend training, claims which were denied by Balotellli before Brescia suffered relegation from Serie A.

    Cebi suggested Balotelli's name cropped up when transfer targets were discussed, but Yalcin does not want to take the former Manchester City man to Istanbul.

    Cebi, quoted widely by Turkish media, said: "Sergen Yalcin does not consider Mario Balotelli as one of his options for the striker position. He told me that.

    "Executives usually have initial talks with players and listen to them. This doesn't mean that a move is bound to happen.

    "We will make the signings Sergen Yalcin has asked of us but, I want to put it frankly, we will not compromise our financial situation."

    As well as Cellino's criticism of Balotelli, the Italy international was reported to have clashed with former head coach Fabio Grosso at Brescia's training ground in November.

    He was given permission to leave the club in January, only to stay put before the coronavirus pandemic caused the suspension of the season in March.

  • Coutinho wants Premier League return but could stay with Barca, claims agent Coutinho wants Premier League return but could stay with Barca, claims agent

    Philippe Coutinho wants to return to the Premier League after his Bayern Munich loan finishes but could yet remain with parent club Barcelona, according to his agent Kia Joorabchian.

    Coutinho left England for Barca in 2018 having spent five years with Liverpool, with the Catalans bringing him in to help alleviate the loss of Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain the previous year.

    The move did not work out, with his first full season at Camp Nou marred by poor form, which in turn led to jeers and criticism from Barca fans.

    He left for Bayern on loan last year, with the German champions given the option to purchase him for €120million, but having only made 15 Bundesliga starts in 2019-20, it came as little surprise when club CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed in May that they let the clause expire.

    Coutinho does not appear to have a future at Barca, while several English clubs have been credited with an interest, though Joorabchian says no decisions have been made.

    "At the moment, with Coutinho, he is so focused on getting through the next stage of the Champions League," the agent told TalkSPORT.

    "He has got a massive game - the club that owns him against the club he is playing for. So, he is in a massive situation at the moment.

    "He is going to play Barcelona, he is looking forward to it. He is looking forward to winning the Champions League. I think they [Bayern] have a side that has the potential to be there, definitely a potential to be there.

    "And I think after the Champions League is finished, and whatever happens, then we will sit down.

    "I haven't even spoken to him about it actually. It could be that Barcelona is the ultimate destination.

    "He loves the Premier League, he wants to come to the Premier League, but finances and the numbers and the situation of COVID-19 are all going to play a big part, because he is a big player with big numbers."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.