EFL

Coronavirus: Leeds to rename Elland Road stand in Norman Hunter tribute

By Sports Desk April 23, 2020

Leeds United are to rename a stand at Elland Road in honour of the late Norman Hunter.

The Championship club announced the news on Thursday, just under a week after the 76-year-old died after succumbing to coronavirus.

Hunter made 726 appearances for Leeds over a 14-year career with the club, proving integral to their success under Don Revie.

His wife Sue told the club's official website: "As a family we are touched by the club's decision to name the South Stand after Norman and we would like to take this opportunity to thank the supporters of the club and the game in general for the amazing messages of sympathy we have received in recent days.

"Finally, once again we would also like to thank all the doctors and nurses and everyone in the NHS who supported Norman too."

Hunter won two First Division titles, the League Cup and the FA Cup. He was a part of Leeds' Inter-Cities Fairs Cup-winning sides in 1968 and 1971 and tasted defeat in the final of the European Cup in 1975, having lost at the same stage of the European Cup Winners' Cup two years earlier.

A part of England's World Cup-winning squad in 1966, Hunter won 28 caps for his country, scoring two goals.

Related items

  • Coquelin completes Villarreal switch Coquelin completes Villarreal switch

    Villarreal have completed the signing of Francis Coquelin from rivals Valencia, with Dani Parejo seemingly set to follow.

    Former Arsenal midfielder Coquelin has signed a four-year deal with Villarreal, having spent two and a half seasons with Valencia, winning the 2018-19 Copa del Rey.

    It is anticipated Parejo, the Valencia skipper, will join his team-mate in making the short trip to El Madrigal.

    Parejo had previously spoken of retiring at Valencia but was subsequently criticised by new Manchester City signing Ferran Torres.

  • Joao Felix wants to grow like Griezmann under Simeone at Atletico Joao Felix wants to grow like Griezmann under Simeone at Atletico

    Joao Felix hopes to emulate Antoine Griezmann's rise under the stewardship of Diego Simeone, whose style of football the Portugal star insists he has no problem with at Atletico Madrid.

    Atleti stumped up €126million to sign the prodigious forward from Benfica after Griezmann departed for Barcelona, beating several suitors across European football to his signature.

    It has been a hit-and-miss debut campaign for Joao Felix, who has so far scored eight goals and provided three assists in 35 appearances across all competitions.

    Inconsistent form and injuries mixed with flashes of brilliance have been the story of his season, but the 20-year-old still harbours ambitions of becoming a star at Atleti like Griezmann before him.

    "If I can do what Griezmann has done or improve it, it will be fine because he has made history in this club," Joao Felix told Marca. 

    "He has done it very well, he has grown a lot with El Cholo [Simeone], and if I do it the same, better for me."

    Some pundits have suggested that Joao Felix's attacking nature is at odds with the rigid nature of Simeone's coaching style.

    Simeone has maintained Joao Felix will show his best form once he has fully adapted to LaLiga, though, which the Portugal international agrees with.

    "Many people say one thing, others say another, but I am here to play Cholo football and I do what he asks," he added.

    "Let's see. I'm adapting to Spain, doing my football, I'm meeting the club and always thinking of improving."

    Joao Felix's situation has been likened to that of Sergio Aguero, who scored just six LaLiga goals in 38 appearances in his debut campaign at Atleti before becoming a fan favourite and earning a move to Manchester City.

    "Kun is now a great player, but when he was at Atletico, I was five years old and I don't remember anything," Joao Felix, who overtook Aguero as the youngest Champions League goalscorer in Atleti history, said of such a comparison. 

    "It's good to break records, all the players like to make history and of course I'm happy to be part of Atletico's history and to have surpassed a player like Kun." 

    As for the criticisms, Joao Felix says the comments of others do not affect him.

    "No, you [the media] do your job and I try to do mine, if things don't go the way you like it, I don't care," he said.

    "As I said, I play because I like it and I am not worried about what the press or others think.

    "I try not to see [the criticism], but there are some that I hear or come to me, but what am I going to do? Listen and follow my work."

    There is high interest in Joao Felix this week as he returns home with Atleti to complete a Champions League campaign disrupted by coronavirus with the tournament being finished in a one-match knockout format in Lisbon.

    Atleti face RB Leipzig in the quarter-finals on Thursday and Joao Felix is excited to be playing on home soil.

    "Yes, the Champions League is always the high point of any player and even more so playing it here in Lisbon, at home, I am very happy and it is very good for me," he said.

  • Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele

    Kai Havertz is reportedly still pushing for a move to Chelsea, while Manchester United are considering their options.

    Havertz has been heavily linked with a move to Chelsea after an impressive season with Bayer Leverkusen.

    The attacker may be getting closer to a switch to Stamford Bridge.

     

    TOP STORY – HAVERTZ STILL PUSHING FOR CHELSEA MOVE

    Havertz is still pushing for a move to Chelsea from Leverkusen, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    The Germany international would join Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech in heading to Chelsea ahead of 2020-21.

    Havertz scored 18 goals and provided nine assists in 45 games for Leverkusen this season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - With Jadon Sancho potentially staying at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United could look elsewhere. Sport reports United are insisting on Barcelona's teenage forward Ansu Fati and are willing to pay more than £90million (€100m). Meanwhile, ESPN reports United are looking at another Barcelona attacker in Ousmane Dembele.

    - Real Madrid are considering their options ahead of next season. AS reports the LaLiga champions will bring back Martin Odegaard, who has been on loan at Real Sociedad, and Dani Ceballos, the latter having spent time on loan at Arsenal.

    - Chelsea are linked with numerous moves ahead of 2020-21. However, The Guardian reports they are yet to make a bid for West Ham star Declan Rice.

    - After a fine career at Manchester City, David Silva is leaving the Premier League giants. The Guardian reports Silva, 34, will join Lazio on a three-year deal.

    - Quincy Promes has caught the eye at Ajax. The Sun reports Arsenal are eyeing a £25m (€27.8m) move for the forward, who netted 16 times in 28 games in 2019-20.

    - Mario Gotze is set to have plenty of interest after leaving Borussia Dortmund. However, Sport Bild reports the 28-year-old has rejected a move to MLS side Inter Miami.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.