Manchester City may discipline Walker after alleged party and lockdown breach

By Sports Desk April 05, 2020

Kyle Walker risks punishment from Manchester City following allegations about his private life that included a breach of the UK's coronavirus lockdown.

City said they were "disappointed" following Sunday newspaper claims that Walker hosted a party with a friend and two women at his home in Cheshire on Tuesday.

The club said Walker's behaviour "directly contravened" their efforts to support key public services during the pandemic, and said he would face a disciplinary investigation.

Walker's alleged breach of social distancing guidelines follows a separate episode involving Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, who apologised after visiting a friend last weekend.

City said in a statement: "Manchester City FC are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules.

"Footballers are global role models, and our staff and players have been working to support the incredible efforts of the NHS and other key workers in fighting the effects of the COVID-19 coronavirus, in any way we can. Kyle's actions in this matter have directly contravened these efforts.

"We are disappointed to hear the allegations, note Kyle’s swift statement and apology, and will be conducting an internal disciplinary procedure in the coming days."

Walker, 29, has made 21 Premier League appearances during the current campaign, his third season at City.

The England full-back won back-to-back titles during his first two seasons after joining the club from Tottenham.

He expressed regret for stepping out of line amid the allegations against him.

"I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week," Walker told The Sun.

"I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model.

"As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down."

Related items

  • Kane hopes focus on Premier League is advantage for Spurs Kane hopes focus on Premier League is advantage for Spurs

    Harry Kane hopes being able to focus solely on the Premier League sees Tottenham produce a strong finish to the season.

    Sitting eighth in the table, Spurs are set to restart their campaign with a clash at home to Manchester United on June 19.

    Tottenham are out of the Champions League and FA Cup, and Kane hopes that can work to their advantage.

    "From our point of view we are not in any of the other competitions so we have got nine games to concentrate on picking up as many points and try and get into the Champions League spots," the forward told Sky Sports on Friday.

    "So at least all our focus is going to be on one competition."

    The Premier League season was suspended in March amid the coronavirus pandemic, with Spurs seven points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea.

    Kane, who has scored 17 goals in 25 games this season, last played on New Year's Day after suffering a hamstring injury and the England international is ready to go.

    "It feels like a pre-season, it has been good so far. I was doing individual training for a while and almost got to a stage where I was back with the team and then we had to stay at home," he said.

    "It's been a chance for me to get fit, it has been six months since I have played a game so I haven't done that since I was about five years old."

  • Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso

    Napoli players showed their support for Gennaro Gattuso by holding a minute's silence on Friday as the grieving head coach returned to training.

    Gattuso is mourning after it was announced on Tuesday that his sister Francesca had died at the age of 37 following an illness.

    She had worked as a secretary with Serie A club Milan, where Gattuso spent 13 years as a player and was later head coach.

    Gattuso, 42, has been in charge of Napoli for almost six months, after succeeding Carlo Ancelotti in December.

    The bond between the coach and his players, led by skipper Lorenzo Insigne, was made clear by the players' response to Gattuso at the Castel Volturno training ground on Friday.

    "The day began with a very touching moment: the team wanted to express their closeness and make Gennaro Gattuso feel all their affection with a virtual hug," Napoli's website announced.

    "Captain Insigne and the whole team observed a minute of recollection in memory of the Azzurro coach's sister before the start of training."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions

    Serie A will allow teams to make five substitutions during games for the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.

    It brings Italy's top flight into line with a temporary law amendment announced by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) last month.

    World football's pre-eminent rule-making body made the alterations as a means to ease the strain on players returning to action following the extended coronavirus hiatus.

    If a team wishes to make all five changes, they must come in no more than three match interruptions, aside from half-time.

    Serie A is set to resume on June 20, more than three months after the league was suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.