EPL

Coronavirus: Norwich City players and coach pledge donation of over £200,000

By Sports Desk April 02, 2020

Norwich City's squad, head coach Daniel Farke and executive committee will donate a percentage of their salaries to support people during the coronavirus crisis.

In total, over £200,000 will be donated, with Norwich also confirming the club's owners and directors have pledged to contribute.

Earlier this week, Norwich were one of a number of Premier League clubs to place non-playing staff on furlough, taking advantage of the UK government scheme in response to COVID-19 that will pay employees 80 per cent of their wages up to £2,500 per month.

The fund will be used to purchase and distribute food and essential toiletry packages for those in need in the Norfolk community, while some Norwich-based charities are also set to benefit.

Grant Hanley, Norwich's club captain, told the side's official website: "There are clearly a lot of complexities and discussions happening at this time, but right now this absolutely is the best thing we can do for our community.

"As a group of players, we wanted to stand up and do our bit. The lads have heard at first-hand stories and challenges that some of our supporters are currently facing. We need to make sure were reaching out and helping those who have been hit hard and are struggling at this time.

"It's clear the club are doing everything possible to help both staff, fans and the wider community at this challenging time, and we want to make sure we're also contributing."

The Premier League and the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), along with representatives from the English Football League (EFL) and League Managers Association (LMA), are currently in discussions over player wages.

Professional football in England has been suspended until at least April 30, with the season able to be completed beyond June 1 if necessary.

Related items

  • Mbappe and Neymar are 'very happy' at PSG, says Herrera Mbappe and Neymar are 'very happy' at PSG, says Herrera

    Ander Herrera insisted Kylian Mbappe and Neymar were "very happy" at Paris Saint-Germain and said the Ligue 1 giants were more likely to buy stars than sell them.

    Mbappe and Neymar have been linked with moves away from PSG, with Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively reportedly interested in the forwards.

    But Herrera said both forwards looked happy at PSG, who claimed a third straight Ligue 1 title when this season was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Asked who would be harder to retain if PSG had to sell one of the stars, the midfielder told AS: "I don't know, because I don't know what they earn or the income they generate for the club, which is still a company.

    "But I do know that both are key in the project and I see them very happy and involved with PSG."

    PSG landed Neymar for a world-record €222million from Barca in 2017, while Mbappe joined permanently from Monaco the following year for a reported €135m.

    Herrera said the French giants were more accustomed to buying stars than selling them.

    "You have to take into account a fundamental aspect, and I have discussed it with Kylian, that PSG is not a club that sells its stars, on the contrary, it buys them," he said.

    "It has enough economic muscle to support both of them."

  • Rose frustrated and annoyed by Gladbach's Freiburg loss Rose frustrated and annoyed by Gladbach's Freiburg loss

    Borussia Monchengladbach coach Marco Rose was left frustrated and annoyed after his side's 1-0 loss to Freiburg in the Bundesliga on Friday.

    Nils Petersen's 58th-minute goal lifted Freiburg to a surprise win and left Gladbach, who finished with 10 men after Alassane Plea's red card, in fourth in the table.

    Rose rued the defeat as his team were left in danger of falling out of the Champions League qualification places.

    "I'm incredibly frustrated after any defeat. Of course they're even more annoying when you're pushing hard for your goals at the end of the season and the way the game played out doesn't help either," he said, via the club's website.

    "We had a very good first half and then in the second half we defended one set-piece very badly and got a red card, so it's a defeat that we could certainly have done without.

    "We showed a lot of desire, invested a great deal and dominated Freiburg. We knew that they're dangerous from set-pieces, so we shouldn't even be giving away the free-kick in the first place.

    "The lads have high aspirations and are of course disappointed with the result as well. We have to digest it first and then come Monday we will start to look ahead to the game in Munich."

    The game's only goal came via Petersen, who headed in a Vincenzo Grifo set-piece, before Plea picked up a second yellow card with 23 minutes remaining.

    Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer lamented the way his side switched off for Petersen's winner.

    "We played well in the first half and had a number of good chances. Unfortunately, we didn't get a goal. After the break, Freiburg made the most of a free-kick and took the lead," he said.

    "The result is obviously anything but ideal, but we will push on. We invested a lot into the game, playing with real energy and power.

    "We actually put in a good performance I thought, but we went to sleep for one minute. We still have four more games and want to bounce back next week in Munich by picking up points."

    Borussia Monchengladbach make the trip to Bayern Munich on June 13, while eighth-placed Freiburg visit Wolfsburg on the same day.

  • Di Maria happy at PSG, glad he didn't join Barcelona Di Maria happy at PSG, glad he didn't join Barcelona

    Angel Di Maria insisted he wanted to finish his career in Europe at Paris Saint-Germain, saying he was happy he did not leave for Barcelona in 2017.

    Di Maria, 32, was linked with a switch to Camp Nou three years ago after just two seasons at PSG and with Neymar arriving from the LaLiga giants.

    But the Argentina attacker ended up staying in Paris, and said he was happy that had been the case.

    "I was very happy in Paris, but people at the club at the time told me some things, which turned out to be lies in the end," Di Maria told L'Equipe.

    "Barca tried to get me to come. The two clubs discussed it, but PSG did not want to sell me and it ended there.

    "These lies annoyed me a lot but, in the end, not leaving was a good thing because I am very happy in Paris today."

    Di Maria, who has scored 12 goals in 37 games this season, is out of contract at PSG next year.

    The former Real Madrid and Manchester United attacker said he wanted to stay at PSG.

    “Ending my career in Europe with PSG is the only thing I want and have in mind," Di Maria said.

    He added: "As for the rest, I don't know for the moment. No discussions have been initiated and this is not my intention at this time."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.