PSG-Dortmund to be played behind closed doors

By Sports Desk March 09, 2020

The second leg of the Champions League last-16 tie between Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund will be played behind closed doors.

The Paris prefecture of police confirmed on Monday that the decision had been taken as part of measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

In a statement, PSG said they accepted the decision and assured that each team remained "fully mobilised to organise the meeting in the best possible conditions".

They added: "Supporters who have purchased their tickets, as well as members, will be informed very soon of the measures proposed by Paris Saint-Germain.

"The club thanks all supporters for their understanding and their support for the team."

The regional government of Catalonia has also recommended that Barcelona's match with Napoli on March 18 be held behind closed doors.

France has 1,116 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, with 19 people having been killed.

Speaking last week, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin called for people not to obsess over "dark scenarios" as European football's governing body considered the ramifications for the Champions League and Euro 2020 amid the outbreak.

"We are dealing with it and we are confident we can deal with it," he said. "You don't know how many big concerns we have: we have security concerns, political instability and one is also the virus.

"Let's try to be optimistic, not think about dark scenarios – there's time for that later."

Later on Monday, RB Leipzig confirmed that their last-16 second leg at home to Tottenham was presently neither at risk of being called off nor of having to be held behind closed doors.

"The game is currently not at risk of cancellation due to the recent coronavirus outbreak," the Bundesliga club said on Twitter.

"We remain in close contact with health authorities and the match will go ahead as planned, with the fans being able to enjoy the match in the ground."

Related items

  • Wellington Phoenix 1-2 Newcastle Jets: O'Donovan reaches landmark as Newcastle win at last Wellington Phoenix 1-2 Newcastle Jets: O'Donovan reaches landmark as Newcastle win at last

    Newcastle Jets claimed their first victory of the A-League season at the fifth time of asking with a 2-1 triumph at Wellington Phoenix.

    Wellington are still without a win this term and now sit a place below Newcastle in 11th, although they have two games in hand.

    The Jets came into the match on a run of four defeats from four but at least boasted a man in form in Valentino Yuel, and the forward was played through by strike partner Roy O'Donovan in the eighth minute to clip home a fine finish off the left post for a third goal in three outings.

    O'Donovan got in on the act six minutes into the second period, keeping his composure to net a 50th A-League goal after Wellington goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic charged out of his area.

    Marinovic's opposite number Jack Duncan excelled throughout the contest, making seven saves, although he was beaten from the penalty spot in the 85th minute - Phoenix captain Ulises Davila sending him the wrong way after substitute Blake Archbold made a rash sliding challenge on Cameron Devlin.

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano

    Liverpool are reportedly prioritising a new deal for Virgil van Dijk over Mohamed Salah, while they could be beaten to Dayot Upamecano by Manchester United.

    Salah's future has been a talking point in recent weeks, although the forward is contracted until 2023.

    Van Dijk also has an agreement at Anfield until 2023, but the injured defender is apparently Liverpool's focus.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PRIORITISE VAN DIJK DEAL OVER SALAH

    Liverpool are prioritising a new contract for Van Dijk over Salah, according to Eurosport.

    Van Dijk, 29, is recovering from a serious knee injury and his absence has been felt by the Premier League champions.

    Salah, meanwhile, has scored 13 goals in 18 league games this season, but in an interview with AS last month the 28-year-old refused to rule out a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

    The report also says Liverpool may look at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, with Georginio Wijnaldum set to leave as a free agent at the end of the campaign.

    ROUND-UP

    - With Van Dijk and Joe Gomez injured, Liverpool have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig defender Upamecano. But The Sun reports Manchester United are poised to sign the centre-back for £38million (€42.7m).

    - Amid uncertainty over his future at Barcelona, Ousmane Dembele is being looked at by numerous European giants. Sport reports Chelsea, Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich are monitoring the forward's situation. Dembele is out of contract in 2022 and the Catalan giants could sell him if he does not extend his deal.

    - Frank Lampard is under enormous pressure at Chelsea as the Premier League side struggle for form. The Mirror reports Chelsea could turn to Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers if they move on from Lampard.

    - Yet to re-sign with Southampton with his contract expiring next year, Danny Ings is linked with a move. 90min reports Leicester City and Everton have joined the race for the forward, who has also been linked to Tottenham.

  • Butragueno: Everyone knows what Zidane means to us Butragueno: Everyone knows what Zidane means to us

    Real Madrid director of institutional relations Emilio Butragueno backed Zinedine Zidane, saying he wanted the coach to return as soon as possible.

    Zidane is under pressure at the helm of Madrid after a humiliating Copa del Rey loss to Alcoyano on Wednesday.

    The Frenchman did not oversee Saturday's 4-1 LaLiga win over Deportivo Alaves after testing positive for coronavirus.

    While Zidane has come under fire, Butragueno defended the 48-year-old, who has led Madrid to two LaLiga titles and three Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies across two spells in charge.

    "Everyone knows what Zidane means to us. What we want is for him to return to us as soon as possible," he told Movistar+.

    "We know what football is like. We have been around for many years.

    "When the team doesn't win we have to listen to comments and rumours of all kinds. You have to be united and work."

    Luka Modric has also faced an uncertain future at Madrid, with the Croatian midfielder's contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Butragueno hinted Modric was set to stay at Madrid as reports suggest the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner had agreed to a one-year deal.

    "There are players like Modric who make this sport better. His pass to [Ferland] Mendy in the first half was a fine thing. It's a luxury for us to have him," he said.

    "He's given us so much. He's still giving us so much and he'll continue to do so."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.