Reus still out for Dortmund ahead of Champions League trip to PSG

By Sports Desk March 05, 2020

Borussia Dortmund boss Lucien Favre remains unsure when Marco Reus will return from a muscle injury.

Reus was forced off during his side's DFB-Pokal loss to Werder Bremen on February 2, with the Bundesliga club initially announcing he would not return to training again for four weeks.

Favre confirmed on Thursday that while the Germany forward is now working indoors as he continues his recovery, he will not be involved when Dortmund travel to Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.

"I can't tell you the exact time when he will return. He started his indoor training yesterday, but that's all I can say about this," Favre told a news conference.

Reus' fitness is a major concern ahead of the Champions League last-16 second leg against Paris Saint-Germain next Wednesday.

They were without their captain for the first meeting at Signal Iduna Park, where Erling Haaland scored twice to secure a 2-1 victory over their French opponents.

With Reus still sidelined, Favre could turn to Mario Gotze ahead of a busy schedule that the Dortmund head coach described as an "English week" during his pre-match press conference.

Gotze has featured sparingly this season, making 13 league appearances, and is out of contract at the end of the season.

Asked if the 2014 World Cup winner may be more heavily involved, Favre replied: "We will see about that. But it is possible, because we are going to have an English week playing on Saturday, Wednesday and again on Saturday.

"It is going really fast and everybody has to prepare for this. We will already see about this tomorrow. He keeps going in the training and performs very well, so everything is possible.

"There are still 10 matches ahead of us in the championship, so everything can happen. Everything happens really fast in football."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano

    Liverpool are reportedly prioritising a new deal for Virgil van Dijk over Mohamed Salah, while they could be beaten to Dayot Upamecano by Manchester United.

    Salah's future has been a talking point in recent weeks, although the forward is contracted until 2023.

    Van Dijk also has an agreement at Anfield until 2023, but the injured defender is apparently Liverpool's focus.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PRIORITISE VAN DIJK DEAL OVER SALAH

    Liverpool are prioritising a new contract for Van Dijk over Salah, according to Eurosport.

    Van Dijk, 29, is recovering from a serious knee injury and his absence has been felt by the Premier League champions.

    Salah, meanwhile, has scored 13 goals in 18 league games this season, but in an interview with AS last month the 28-year-old refused to rule out a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

    The report also says Liverpool may look at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, with Georginio Wijnaldum set to leave as a free agent at the end of the campaign.

    ROUND-UP

    - With Van Dijk and Joe Gomez injured, Liverpool have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig defender Upamecano. But The Sun reports Manchester United are poised to sign the centre-back for £38million (€42.7m).

    - Amid uncertainty over his future at Barcelona, Ousmane Dembele is being looked at by numerous European giants. Sport reports Chelsea, Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich are monitoring the forward's situation. Dembele is out of contract in 2022 and the Catalan giants could sell him if he does not extend his deal.

    - Frank Lampard is under enormous pressure at Chelsea as the Premier League side struggle for form. The Mirror reports Chelsea could turn to Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers if they move on from Lampard.

    - Yet to re-sign with Southampton with his contract expiring next year, Danny Ings is linked with a move. 90min reports Leicester City and Everton have joined the race for the forward, who has also been linked to Tottenham.

  • Inter boss Conte: Milan not in our thoughts after Udinese draw Inter boss Conte: Milan not in our thoughts after Udinese draw

    Antonio Conte insists Inter will continue to focus on themselves and not Milan after missing out on the chance to leapfrog their rivals at the top of Serie A. 

    A week on from beating fellow Scudetto contenders Juventus 2-0, Inter failed to get going as they were held to a goalless draw away at lowly Udinese on Saturday. 

    Conte's side attempted just 10 shots at the Dacia Arena - their joint-fewest in an away league match this season - in a game that saw Conte sent off late on for dissent. 

    Milan lost 3-0 to Atalanta on Saturday but Inter could only close the gap on the leaders to two points at the midway stage in the campaign. 

    The Nerazzurri have now triumphed in only one of their last four Serie A matches, having won their previous eight in a row, and Conte accepts an improvement is needed. 

    "As I always say, we need to think only of ourselves and not others, such as Milan. We just have to focus on improving our performances and results," he told Sky Sport Italia. 

    "We just try to work and get the best out of ourselves. I think that amid the many, many difficulties we had this year, Inter are having their say and are real protagonists. 

    "Inter deserve that for their history. The second half of the season is still to play, but what we've done for the last year and a half has been wonderful." 

    Conte was issued a yellow card and then a swift red by referee Fabio Maresca as the game entered added time, while team manager Lele Oriali was dismissed after the final whistle. 

    Explaining the touchline commotion during a game otherwise devoid of many talking points, Conte said: "We had a disagreement over the amount of stoppages awarded. 

    "The referee booked me and then chose to send me off. I thought four minutes weren't enough to add on in the circumstances.  

    "Then the referee makes his decisions and we have to accept them, even if we do not agree with those decisions." 

    A number of visiting players had an off day against an Udinese side without a goal in six successive league games against Inter - their longest such streak against any side in the division. 

    Achraf Hakimi in particular struggled, losing possession more times (23) than any other player, with Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku failing to get on the end of balls into the penalty box. 

    "We could've been more precise today and lacked quality in the final ball," Conte admitted. "When we put crosses in, we usually have four players push into the box.  

    "That's usually the intent, then it's about the accuracy of the cross. For instance, Nicolo Barella's cross was what created the goal for Arturo Vidal against Juventus.  

    "You need both the cross and to get bodies into the box." 

    Focus for Inter now switches to Tuesday's derby with Milan in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals, though Conte is prioritising the league over domestic cup success. 

    "We know that Serie A represents something important for the club and on an economic level, so winning the Scudetto or qualifying for the Champions League is more important than the Coppa Italia," he said.  

    "Having said that, we still respect the tournament and want to do well. Inevitably, we will evaluate the situation, see who has recovered and who needs more playing time.  

    "Nobody is underestimating this match and we'll try to win, as we always do. We don't put limits on ourselves, but we must find the right approach to beat Milan and go into the semi-finals."

  • Phil has to be Phil - Guardiola plays down talk of Foden filling De Bruyne void Phil has to be Phil - Guardiola plays down talk of Foden filling De Bruyne void

    Pep Guardiola praised the personality Phil Foden gave to Manchester City as they came from behind to beat Cheltenham Town 3-1 in the FA Cup, but insisted he does not have to fill Kevin De Bruyne's shoes.

    Foden was instrumental as City avoided a huge shock in the fourth round on Saturday, which looked on the cards when Alfie May prodded fourth-tier Cheltenham ahead.

    But the England international equalised by turning home at the far post nine minutes from time before Gabriel Jesus and Ferran Torres sealed progression to the fifth round.

    City could have been out of sight by the time May put Cheltenham in front, with Guardiola's men wasteful in front of goal.

    Foden played five key passes, with the fact none resulted in an assist indicative of the poor finishing displayed by City.

    With De Bruyne out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury, Guardiola was asked in his post-match media conference if Foden can help fill the void.

    "Phil has to be Phil, Phil does not have to be Kevin De Bruyne," he replied. 

    "Phil has to do what he is doing in terms of the bad moments when we were losing, the personality that he gave to the game.

    "Phil can play in the middle, can play winger, can play in a false nine position up front. He's playing really well, again in the right moment he scored a goal."

    Joao Cancelo played the cross for Foden's equaliser after coming off the bench, while fellow substitute Ilkay Gundogan pulled the ball back for Torres to tap in City's third.

    Asked to explain their introductions, Guardiola said: "When you make a change you try to look for something.

    "The young two players [Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Tommy Doyle] played really well but the quality of Gundogan and Joao in the final third was so important.

    "Gundogan has the sense to score and with Phil and Riyad [Mahrez] in the final third we had the quality for the final pass and dribble and that's why they came in."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.