Man City suffered in EFL Cup triumph – Rodri

By Sports Desk March 01, 2020

Rodri conceded Manchester City "suffered" in their pursuit of a third successive EFL Cup title, which his controversial goal ultimately secured.

Pep Guardiola's side earned a 2-1 win over Aston Villa at Wembley on Sunday, Rodri having headed in his side's second from a corner that should not have been awarded.

Mbwana Samatta's goal before the interval – following a calamitous error from John Stones – ensured it was no walk in the park for City, who survived a late Villa barrage that included an almighty scare when Claudio Bravo turned Bjorn Engels' late header onto the post.

It would have been harsh for City to concede a leveller given their general dominance of the match, but Rodri confided that it had been a tough battle.

"We know they are a really tough team because they are really tall and strong, so we knew we could never give up," he told Sky Sports.

"I'm happy for the team because it's tough being here. I think they scored because of our mistake.

"At the end, we suffered a little bit but I think we had enough chances to score more goals, but we are happy for the team.

"It's the second title for us [after the Community Shield] so we are very happy."

Phil Foden, who was excellent for City, echoed his team-mate's sentiments regarding the challenge posed by relegation-threatened Villa, and rejoiced in his own input, which included an assist for Sergio Aguero's opener.

"I have to say fair play to Aston Villa, they gave us a really good game," he said.

"When I play, every minute counts, so I try and do my best and I'm very proud of my performance.

"You look at players like Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva, who are great, so when I get into the team I have to make the most of it."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Pochettino and Raul waiting in wings for Madrid job, Man Utd in Camavinga battle Rumour Has It: Pochettino and Raul waiting in wings for Madrid job, Man Utd in Camavinga battle

    Is Zinedine Zidane's second spell in charge of Real Madrid coming to an end?

    Zidane guided Madrid to three successive Champions League titles in his first stint, and last season's LaLiga crown after returning to the Santiago Bernabeu in 2019.

    But the Los Blancos great is under mounting pressure amid the club's struggles this season.

     

    TOP STORY – ZIDANE IN DANGER

    Mauricio Pochettino and Raul are waiting in the wings to replace Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid, according to widespread reports in Spain.

    Madrid head coach Zidane is in danger of losing his job following Tuesday's Champions League loss to Shakhtar Donetsk.

    Los Blancos have suffered back-to-back defeats and three in their past five outings across all competitions to be seven points adrift in LaLiga and on the cusp of Champions League elimination.

    Thursday's Mundo Deportivo, Diario AS and Sport report former Tottenham boss Pochettino and Madrid Castilla coach Raul are eyeing the hot seat.

    ROUND-UP

    - Calciomercato claims the race to sign Rennes and France sensation Eduardo Camavinga is down to Madrid and Manchester United. Serie A champions Juventus had also been linked, though there has been talk of Paul Pogba returning to Turin after leaving for Old Trafford in 2016.

    - Bayern Munich star David Alaba is hoping to strike a January agreement with Chelsea, according to Fabrizio Romano's 'Here We Go Podcast'. Alaba is a free agent at the end of the season and he has been linked to the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

    Juventus have shown an interest in Barcelona centre-back Samuel Umtiti, according to Calciomercato. Arsenal's Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic are also on the shortlist.

    Madrid are eyeing Benfica forward Darwin Nunez, reports Calciomercato. The Uruguay international has also caught the attention of LaLiga rivals Barca.

    - What does the future hold for Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland? Heavily linked to United, Madrid, Liverpool, PSG and even Barca, Calciomercato says Juve are monitoring the Norwegian closely.

  • Haaland ruled out until January as Favre admits to overplaying star striker Haaland ruled out until January as Favre admits to overplaying star striker

    Erling Haaland has been ruled out until January with a torn hamstring that head coach Lucien Favre has suggested could have been avoided had the striker not been overused.

    The Norway international was left out of Dortmund's squad for Wednesday's 1-1 Champions League draw with Lazio as a result of the injury he sustained in training.

    He has featured 14 times for Dortmund in all competitions this term, starting 13 of those games and scoring 17 times.

    However, BVB will now have to make do without the 20-year-old for the remainder of 2020 in a major blow for Favre.

    "He won't play before the beginning of January. He may have played too much," Favre told Sky Germany. "At first we thought it wouldn't be that bad. But he can't play now."

    Dortmund sit four points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich and face Eintracht Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen and Union Berlin before the end of the year.

    They also have a trip to Eintracht Braunschweig in the DFB-Pokal second round and a Champions League meeting with Zenit next week in what is a hectic month.

    Haaland, who netted 16 goals in just 18 appearances for the club last season, will hope to be back for Dortmund's trip to high-flying RB Leipzig on January 9, which comes six days after they host Wolfsburg to begin 2021.

    Since Haaland's debut, Dortmund have been without the star for just three Bundesliga matches – but they have won all of them while scoring nine goals. With Haaland, Dortmund have recorded 16 wins and seven losses since his debut in January.

  • ‘It’s annoying’ – top keeper Miller irked by Reggae Boyz constant wage battle with JFF ‘It’s annoying’ – top keeper Miller irked by Reggae Boyz constant wage battle with JFF

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.