Hazard injury 'doesn't look good', admits Madrid boss Zidane

By Sports Desk February 22, 2020

Eden Hazard's availability for Real Madrid's crunch fixtures against Manchester City and Barcelona appears in doubt after Zinedine Zidane admitted his latest injury "doesn't look good".

The Belgium forward hobbled off in the second half of the 1-0 loss to Levante on Saturday and he could be seen on the bench receiving treatment on his lower right leg.

Hazard only recently returned from a fractured right ankle so the sight of him appearing to have another problem in the same area was alarming for Zidane.

Madrid face Pep Guardiola's City in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday before a Clasico date with new LaLiga leaders Barcelona next weekend.

"It doesn't look good," Zidane told reporters at a news conference.

"It can become weak where you've had an injury. It is a blow, let's see.

"It's sore now but we'll see tomorrow when we do more tests."

It was a thoroughly miserable outing for Madrid as they suffered a surprise defeat thanks to Jose Luis Morales' stunning late effort.

Madrid drew 2-2 with Celta Vigo at home in their previous outing and they will host Barcelona next Sunday knowing they are now two points behind their great rivals in the title race.

Captain Sergio Ramos revealed the level of frustration he was feeling in a social media post.

"We're p***ed off," he wrote on Twitter.

"But we can't allow our heads to drop.

"We have to reset now and tomorrow push harder than ever before for a very important week. We're counting on you."

Related items

  • Lionel Messi will renew Barcelona contract – Bartomeu Lionel Messi will renew Barcelona contract – Bartomeu

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu insisted superstar Lionel Messi will sign a new contract with the LaLiga giants.

    Messi, 33, has been linked with an exit amid reports the Barca captain is ready to quit Camp Nou once his contract expires in 2021.

    The six-time Ballon d'Or winner has reportedly halted contract negotiations due to his frustrations with Barca – who are on track to be dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga this season.

    But Bartomeu is confident all-time leading goalscorer Messi will retire at the club after making his debut in 2004.

    "We have talked, we are talking and we will talk to Messi," Bartomeu told TV3.

    "He wants to finish his career here. We will renew it [contract] for sure, I have no doubt that he will continue here."

    Messi set up Arturo Vidal for the match-winning goal in Saturday's 1-0 victory at Real Valladolid.

    It was Messi's 20th assist of the LaLiga season as he reached a notable double in the league, becoming the first player since Thierry Henry in 2002-03 to score and create 20-plus goals in a single campaign across Europe's top five leagues.

    The victory kept Barca's slim title hopes alive amid doubts over the future of head coach Quique Setien.

    Setien replaced Ernesto Valverde in January but the former Real Betis boss has struggled to convince, with Barca one point behind leaders Madrid – who can restore their four-point lead atop the table against Getafe on Monday.

    Barca are also preparing for next month's Champions League last-16 second leg against Napoli following the coronavirus-enforced break. The first leg ended 1-1.

    Asked about Setien, Bartomeu said: "Quique Setien will be on the team for the Champions League. The will is for him to be the coach next season, our intention is to fulfil the contracts."

    Barca great Xavi had been linked to the hot seat prior to Setien's appointment and before signing a new contract with Qatari outfit Al-Sadd.

    "Xavi will be a coach for Barca sooner or later but now we are not looking for a coach, we are with Quique," Bartomeu added.

  • Tuchel not focused on 'very difficult' Atalanta clash just yet Tuchel not focused on 'very difficult' Atalanta clash just yet

    Paris Saint-Germain head coach Thomas Tuchel expects a tough Champions League clash against Atalanta, but his focus is elsewhere for now.

    Around 5,000 fans were in attendance as PSG thrashed Le Havre 9-0 in a friendly on Sunday.

    PSG have been drawn to face Atalanta in the Champions League quarter-finals, but have a Coupe de France final against Saint-Etienne and Coupe de la Ligue decider against Lyon prior to that.

    Tuchel said he knew PSG would be tested by Atalanta in Lisbon in August, but he is focused on domestic matters.

    "It will be difficult but it's not a surprise because we will play a quarter-final. There are eight teams that want to win this competition. Every team can win their three games," the PSG coach said.

    "It will be a very difficult game [against Atalanta], it will be very tough. They have many qualities. We have seen that when they played against Juventus [on Saturday]. It is a balanced and offensive team. It is a very physical team. But now, we can't think about that.

    "Our challenge is to arrive in Lisbon with two titles. Now we are going to prepare our game against Saint-Etienne. It's the only game that is in my head right now. Then, we will think about Lyon. Then I think we will have 12 days to get ready for our game against Atalanta. We have to go step by step. The first step will be our game against Saint-Etienne."

    PSG will be without Edinson Cavani (free agent), Thomas Meunier (Borussia Dortmund) and Tanguy Kouassi (Bayern Munich) for the remainder of the Champions League after the trio departed.

    Tuchel said it made life harder for PSG, but he urged his players to push on.

    "I am sad that we have lost three key players for this competition – Tanguy, Edi and Thomas Meunier," he said.

    "That makes things harder for us. PSG need qualities and a great squad. But all the players did good [against Le Havre] and we have to keep going.

    "We all have good relationships. We are ready to continue. Today was a good start."

    Neymar, Mauro Icardi and Pablo Sarabia scored braces against Le Havre, while Kylian Mbappe, Idrissa Gueye and Arnaud Muinga were also on the scoresheet.

  • Pioli not thinking about Milan future as Rangnick's shadow looms Pioli not thinking about Milan future as Rangnick's shadow looms

    Milan head coach Stefano Pioli reiterated that he is not thinking about his future as Ralf Rangnick reportedly prepares to take over at San Siro.

    Pioli's 10-man Milan extended their unbeaten run to seven matches in all competitions with a 2-2 draw away to Napoli in Serie A action on Sunday amid mounting speculation regarding Rangnick.

    Former RB Leipzig boss Rangnick has agreed to replace Pioli – who was only appointed in October – in 2020-21, according to widespread reports.

    Pioli, however, is not paying attention to the growing rumours over his future in Milan following the stalemate at Napoli.

    "Everyone asks me that, but I am not thinking about the future," Pioli told Sky Sport Italia. "I am at a big club, I am training players who are doing so much and the decisions will be made in August.

    "It's too important to focus now on ending the season on a high note. It's tough for coaches too with a game every three days, so I cannot be wasting energy on something that is frankly out of my control.

    "I prefer to focus on what I can control, so training these lads and preparing for the games."

    Franck Kessie's 73rd-minute penalty secured a point for Milan, who had opened the scoring through Theo Hernandez's fine strike after 20 minutes in Naples.

    Giovanni Di Lorenzo restored parity 14 minutes later and Dries Mertens put Napoli ahead on the hour-mark before Kessie converted a spot-kick.

    Milan substitute Alexis Saelemaekers was sent off with three minutes remaining following two bookings in as many minutes but the Rossoneri held on for a point.

    Pioli, whose Milan had beaten leaders Juventus and challengers Lazio heading into the contest, said: "It was tough, really tough, as after Lazio and Juventus, we've had a really difficult run of games against the best teams in the league, but we showed that we were up to the task.

    "When you get results and put in strong performances against this kind of opponent, it really boosts your confidence. We scored a great goal to take the lead, we fought back to equalise and a point is a good result."

    Coppa Italia champions Napoli remain sixth in Serie A with six matches remaining, two behind Roma and two clear of Milan.

    Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso faced former club Milan for the first time as a coach and he lamented his team's wastefulness in the final third.

    "What I do get angry with is my players for needing six or seven chances to score," Gattuso said. "It's not just the strikers, but also the wide men, the midfielders. We create so many opportunities and don't finish enough of them off. That is where we must improve.

    "If we analyse the post-COVID period of the season, we have the chances, but aren't scoring as regularly as we should. That is obvious. It's called a hot zone in the statistics, you can see Milan had very few scoring opportunities and yet they converted both of them.

    "Considering what we create, we score too few goals and concede too many. That is happening fairly regularly. If the first press doesn't work after seven or eight seconds, we have to track back and make it solid, which we don't do enough.

    "We're trying to do something a little different and we're not perfect yet, as we tend to risk waves of counter-attacks, so we end up four against four, or five against five."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.