Tuchel admits to being 'very surprised' by leaked party footage

By Sports Desk February 22, 2020

Thomas Tuchel admitted he was "very surprised" by leaked footage that showed Paris Saint-Germain's players partying into the early hours of the morning this week.

A number of PSG's first-team stars attended a lavish joint-birthday party for Edinson Cavani, Mauro Icardi and Angel Di Maria in Paris on Thursday.

The extravagant bash was held two days after the French champions' 2-1 loss to Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

Footage on social media showed some players, including forward Neymar, topless and bouncing around the room.

And with a Ligue 1 clash against Bordeaux to come on Sunday, Tuchel has questioned the actions of his players.

"I was really surprised yesterday afternoon when watching the video," he said at Saturday's pre-match news conference. 

"You can be sure that we talked internally. I don't want to talk about it now, but we talked about it within the club and it has to stay that way."

He added: "You can be sure that we are not happy with this image. We talked together as a team and it is now an internal matter.

"I am here to improve my group. I cannot give advice to the club, that is not my role."

Marquinhos was in attendance at the exclusive Pavillon Dauphine and defended the decision to throw the triple birthday party.

"The leaked footage was a mistake," he told reporters. "However, it had been planned for a long time. We needed to get together. 

"We must be careful, though, as there are people who travel miles to follow us.

"There has been frustration at the result and poor performance [against Dortmund]. We know our strengths, especially at home.We must work hard and with a good mentality."

Neymar suggested after the loss to Dortmund that he has been unhappy with PSG's management of his rib injury, insisting he was ready to return to action earlier.

However, Tuchel has reiterated that he cannot risk the Brazil international's fitness at a key point in the season.

"As I said before, it was a discussion between the club, medical staff and myself. With each injury we have to make many decisions, that's the way it is," he said.

"Imagine if we let him play, the injury got worse and he was out for three months. You would have asked the same questions, whether it was a mistake to play him.

"We have to think about why we are making these decisions and you have to trust me. We have talked a lot and it is the same with every player.

"Obviously I want him to play every game and we have to make decisions together. This is the decision we made between us. Now he needs to regain his rhythm."

Tuchel also confirmed Thomas Meunier and Colin Dagba are out of Sunday's clash with Bordeaux at the Parc des Princes, where he is hoping for a quick response from his side.

"It is never easy to start again after a defeat, but that is the challenge," he said. "I have the impression that all the players want to prove themselves.

"Sometimes the players are more competitive when things aren't comfortable. That is exactly the mindset we are looking for."

Related items

  • Benzema's agent believes Madrid star will return to Lyon Benzema's agent believes Madrid star will return to Lyon

    Real Madrid star Karim Benzema will return to Ligue 1 side Lyon, according to his agent Karim Djaziri.

    Benzema came through Lyon's academy and spent five years with the senior side until joining Madrid in 2009, having established himself as one of Europe's most promising young players following four successive Ligue 1 crowns.

    Since moving to Madrid, Benzema has won four Champions League titles and three LaLiga trophies among 18 pieces of silverware in the Spanish capital.

    But Djaziri hinted at a return to boyhood club Lyon for the 33-year-old striker.

    "Will Karim Benzema return to Lyon? Yes, I honestly think he will," Djaziri told Inside Gones.

    "He talks to me constantly and he watches all of the team's matches.

    "On top of that, he has never been to the Groupama Stadium and in his mind it is something he wants, he has Lyon in his heart."

    Benzema has scored 10 LaLiga goals for defending champions Madrid this season after his double inspired a 4-1 rout of Deportivo Alaves on Saturday.

    In total, Benzema has netted 15 goals across all competitions in 2020-21.

    Benzema has scored at least 15 goals in 10 out of his 11 seasons for Madrid in all competitions.

    Madrid, meanwhile, are second in the table and seven points adrift of neighbours Atletico Madrid – who have a game in hand.

  • Premier League COVID-19 cases drop again with eight new positives Premier League COVID-19 cases drop again with eight new positives

    The Premier League has announced eight new positive cases from its most recent two rounds of coronavirus testing, half the amount of players and club staff who tested positive the previous week.  

    Testing was ramped up to twice a week earlier this month due to a rise in the infection rate across the league and the United Kingdom in general.  

    A record 40 positives were identified between December 28 and January 3, with a further 36 cases confirmed the following week.  

    However, the number dropped by 20 between January 11 and 17 and has seen another significant decrease this time around.  

    Across the two rounds carried out between January 18 and 24, 2,518 players and staff were tested for the virus – eight returned positive results.  

    The Premier League does not provide specific information over who the individuals are who test positive, nor which clubs they are associated with.

  • Dardai back in charge at struggling Hertha Berlin Dardai back in charge at struggling Hertha Berlin

    Pal Dardai had no doubts about stepping back up to coach Hertha Berlin again following his appointment on a deal that runs until the end of the 2021-22 season. 

    Having played for the club between 1997 and 2012, the former Hungary international was head coach from 2015 through to 2019. 

    Since then, Ante Covic, Jurgen Klinsmann and, most recently, Bruno Labbadia have been in charge, the latter fired - along with sports director Michael Preetz - following Saturday's 4-1 home loss to Werder Bremen that left Hertha down in 14th position in the Bundesliga table. 

    The club have moved quickly to find a replacement, returning to a familiar face by promoting Dardai, who had been working in the academy. 

    "It certainly wasn't my plan to move from the under-16s back to being first team coach, but nobody needs telling what Hertha means to me, so there was no doubt in my mind that I would be ready to help out in this situation," Dardai said.  

    "I am looking forward to the challenge and working together with the team."

    Dardai's former assistants Andreas Neuendorf and Admir Hamzagic have also returned to their previous roles, joining fitness coaches Henrik Kuchno and Hendrik Vieth, plus goalkeeping coach Zsolt Petry, on a new-look staff. 

    Hertha - who are winless in four games, scoring just once during that run - are next in action on Saturday, travelling to in-form Eintracht Frankfurt.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.