Liverpool have 90 minutes to set it right after 'unlucky' defeat to Atletico – Van Dijk

By Sports Desk February 18, 2020

Virgil van Dijk put Liverpool's 1-0 Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid down to bad luck and warned the Spanish club there is still another 90 minutes of the last-16 tie to play.

Saul Niguez's early strike in Tuesday's Champions League clash gave Atletico a slender lead to take into the return fixture against holders Liverpool at Anfield on March 11.

Saul poked home from close range with four minutes played after a corner fell kindly into his path and Diego Simeone's Atletico kept their advantage intact in Madrid.

Reigning champions Liverpool dominated possession in the Spanish capital but failed to register a single attempt on target, with Mohamed Salah and Jordan Henderson squandering their best chances.

Despite the defeat at the Wanda Metropolitano, however, defender Van Dijk is remaining upbeat ahead of the second leg in a little over three weeks' time.

"We conceded the goal from the corner, first chance for them, not even a chance. Bit of luck," he told BT Sport.

"The message at half-time was to keep playing. We had the ball most of the game but unfortunately could not create massive opportunities. We still have another 90 minutes to set it right.

"It is the way they play. It is a bit of the Spanish football as well and you have to adapt but we knew it and I feel we handled it pretty well."

Echoing his team-mate's views, full-back Andy Robertson felt the wild celebrations in the stands at full-time were premature given Liverpool's impressive home record.

"We put in a decent performance and we know we can be better. We've got a second leg to put it right," Robertson said.

"They celebrated as if they won the tie after the game. They are coming to Anfield and we know our fans will be there.

"We gave them the best possible start and that get the fans behind them and then they start falling over and getting under the skin a bit."

Related items

  • Bayern president expects transfer fees to dip after coronavirus pandemic Bayern president expects transfer fees to dip after coronavirus pandemic

    Bayern Munich president Herbert Hainer expects a significant decrease in transfer fees following the coronavirus pandemic.

    Deals worth in excess of €100million have been commonplace in the past four years, with Neymar becoming the world's most expensive player when he joined Paris Saint-Germain for €222m in August 2017.

    Bayern have been more conservative but broke their transfer record by splashing out €80m on Lucas Hernandez last year.

    Links to Leroy Sane and Timo Werner led to suggestions the Bavarian giants were willing to break the bank again, but Hainer believes the inflation in the market will have been stemmed by the proliferation of COVID-19.

    Revenues have dried up for clubs across the world, with players at Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus and Atletico Madrid among those to take pay cuts while football is on hiatus.

    Asked about the potential impact of the coronavirus crisis on transfer fees, Hainer told Bayern's 51 magazine: "As I said, although serious predictions are difficult to make, it's obvious there'll be changes. I agree with Uli Hoeness' assumption that transfer fees will decrease. That's just logical.

    "When income decreases, there's less money in circulation. And given the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis on people's everyday lives, outrageous sums in the millions are even less justifiable than they already were.

    "My hope is that more common sense will be applied here as well. I have to take my hat off to Hasan Salihamidzic and our sporting leadership. They're handling the coronavirus situation very well."

    Bayern players agreed to a 20 per cent wage reduction during the Bundesliga suspension, which is scheduled to last until at least April 30.

    Hainer acknowledged the situation has put clubs in precarious financial positions, but he is confident Bayern will be able to get through the crisis without "any major damage".

    "Of course, the situation is very tense. It's about the existence of individual clubs. And even FC Bayern faces a major financial challenge – that's no secret," said Hainer.

    "But our club is in an excellent position. We work day after day to ensure that FC Bayern can navigate through this phase without any major damage.

    "Despite this immense task, we're looking to the future with confidence."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief Coronavirus: Serie A season could finish in October, suggests FIGC chief

    Serie A clubs could be allowed to finish the 2019-20 season as late as October, according to Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina.

    Italy's top flight was suspended indefinitely last month due to the spread of coronavirus, and the FIGC stated on Friday that the season would not be resumed until the health and safety of all concerned could in some way be guaranteed.

    Italy has been the country hardest hit by COVID-19 in Europe, with close to 129,000 confirmed cases and more than 15,800 deaths, although official figures over recent days have indicated strict lockdown measures are having an effect on the spread of the virus.

    Gravina says the proposed date of May 17 to restart Serie A remains a possibility, but he insists it would be best to allow 2019-20 to finish much later this year if necessary, rather than declare the season cancelled.

    "It's a hypothesis," Gravina told RAI when asked if a September or October finish had been put forward. "At the moment, a possible date to restart could be May 17, but I want to clarify that this is only a hypothesis.

    "Finishing the season would be the best way not only so the 2019-20 season is not compromised, but also to avoid compromising the 2020-21 season in any way."

    There are signs Italy's stringent measures to enforce social distancing and limit all non-essential travel are working, with the number of new deaths falling over the past three days, while the rate of confirmed new cases also appears to be going down.

    However, prime minister Giuseppe Conte admitted earlier on Sunday that he cannot offer any guarantee when lockdown measures will be eased.

    "Right now, I can't say when the lockdown will end. We are following the directions of the scientific committee, but Italy was the first nation [in Europe] to face the emergency," Conte said.

    "Our response was maybe not perfect, but we have done our best based on the knowledge we have.

    "The validity of the measures we have taken has been recognised by the World Health Organization and the results indicate we're on the right path."

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool asked to explain furlough decision by supporters' group Coronavirus: Liverpool asked to explain furlough decision by supporters' group

    Supporters' group Spirit of Shankly has called on Liverpool to explain the decision to furlough a number of staff amid the coronavirus crisis.

    Members of the workforce that are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic can claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the United Kingdom government under the scheme.

    While the Premier League leaders will top up any shortfall in earnings, the move has been heavily criticised, including by ex-players Jamie Carragher and Dietmar Hamann.

    Liverpool announced a pre-tax profit of £42million in February, with the annual accounts showing a record £223m was spent on the addition of new players in 2018-19.

    In an open letter to CEO Peter Moore, Spirit of Shankly has raised concerns over the damage caused by the choice to furlough employees while the season remains on hold due to coronavirus.

    "We understand this is essentially an employee/employer issue, but as LFC's recognised official supporter representatives, we are concerned about the damage this is causing to our club's reputation and values," the letter - signed by chair Joe Blott - read.

    The fan group has also asked for clarity on a variety of details, among them the number of non-playing employees involved, while adding they "look forward to a speedy and comprehensive response".

    Carragher declared the "respect and goodwill" earned following efforts made by manager Jurgen Klopp and captain Jordan Henderson - who is reportedly spearheading an attempt from Premier League players to raise funds for the National Health Service - earlier during the pandemic had now been lost.

    Former team-mate Hamann, meanwhile, was "astonished" by the move, writing it was "contrary to the morals and values of the club I got to know" on Twitter.

    Liverpool sit 25 points clear at the top of the table, leaving them on the cusp of being crowned champions for the first time in the Premier League era.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.