Man City UEFA ban: A timeline of events

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Manchester City face an uncertain immediate future in European competition after UEFA announced a two-season ban for the Premier League club on Friday.

European football's chief governing body, who also administered a €30million fine, ruled City were guilty of "serious breaches" of its Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

It marked the end of a lengthy probe into City's financial affairs, which was launched following a series of allegations made by German publication Der Spiegel in November 2018.

City denied any wrongdoing throughout the process and immediately announced their intention to appeal against the decision.

Below we take a look back at how this point was reached.

 

November 2018: Football Leaks allegations emerge

It has been 15 months since Der Spiegel published a host of articles claiming the defending Premier League champions flagrantly flouted UEFA's FFP laws. The German publication purportedly gained the information from whistleblowers Football Leaks and claimed Sheikh Mansour's City regime topped up multi-million-pound sponsorship deals with Abu Dhabi companies, using their owner's fortune, to meet the financial rules. It was also claimed City were cut a favourable deal by UEFA for overspending in 2014. City said in response: "The attempt to damage the club's reputation is organised and clear".

November 2018: UEFA warns City FFP investigation could reopen

UEFA said it would consider reopening a 2014 probe, which saw City fined and have restrictions on the size of Champions League squad imposed, if "new information comes to light". Early in December, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "We are assessing the situation. We have an independent body working on it. Very soon you will have an answer on what will happen in this concrete case."

March 2019: UEFA launches formal investigation

It was almost a year ago UEFA formally started an investigation into Der Spiegel's allegations, with Club Financial Control Board chairman and former Belgium prime minister Yves Leterme warning the "heaviest punishment" City face is "expulsion from UEFA competitions". City said: "The accusation of financial irregularities are entirely false. The club's published accounts are full and complete and a matter of legal and regulatory record".

May 2019: City respond to ban reports

After reports emerged in the New York Times that City were facing the prospect of a one-year UEFA ban, the club released a statement registering concern that their "good faith" in UEFA's investigation into their financial affairs could be "misplaced". 

May 2019: "Hostile process" slammed by City

Leterme had earlier in the year told Belgian magazine Sport and Strategy that City should face a ban from UEFA competition if the allegations were proven. A strongly worded club statement slammed the CFCB investigation as a "hostile process" after the probe was referred to the body's adjudicatory chamber for a final decision after the completion of Leterme's inquiry. The club said they were "disappointed but regrettably not surprised" by the decision.

November 2019: Reports say City set to avoid ban

Towards the back end of last year, it was reported UEFA were struggling to enforce its FFP regulations and City could avoid a ban and escape only with a fine.

November 2019: CAS deems City appeal 'inadmissible'

In June last year, City appealed against UEFA's investigation into alleged breaches of FFP to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). However, five months later CAS ruled City's appeal as "inadmissible" because UEFA had not reached a final decision on the case.

February 2020: UEFA announces ban

After a lengthy process, UEFA announced City have been hit with a two-year ban from European competition and a hefty €30million fine. The Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB found City guilty of "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016". City again questioned the process of the investigation and announced their intention to launch an appeal with CAS "at the earliest opportunity".

Related items

  • Rookie coach Pirlo demands 'desire and ferocity' from Juve against Ranieri's Samp Rookie coach Pirlo demands 'desire and ferocity' from Juve against Ranieri's Samp

    Andrea Pirlo has vowed to prove his doubters wrong at Juventus, demanding "desire and ferocity" from the Italian champions in his first Serie A match in charge. 

    The former midfield maestro knows there are questions over his credentials for such a first major coaching job, which he was surprisingly handed when Maurizio Sarri was sacked in August. 

    But Pirlo was a prince of a ball-player with Milan, Juventus and Italy, and the 41-year-old says past playing experiences will be reflected in how he now leads a team from pitchside. 

    On Sunday, his first test comes when Juve go up against Sampdoria, a team led by the vastly experienced Claudio Ranieri. 

    "Doubts? I don't have any," Pirlo said. "Certainties? I'm at Juve, I coach a team of champions, it was easy for me to fit in and I'm fine. 

    "I don't have to show the differences with Sarri's Juve: we have the same goals." 

    He added: "I carry on my idea of football, which must be aggressive and based on mastery of the game. 

    "This period has not changed me; like I was a footballer, I'll be a coach. There are those who speak well of me and those who have doubts, but for me nothing changes: I am sure of what I am doing."

    He is clearly talking a good game already, demanding his team show their hunger from day one, but nothing less than another Scudetto will suffice as Juve chase a 10th successive league title. 

    New recruit Dejan Kulusevski and veteran Cristiano Ronaldo are set for roving attacking roles as Juventus target a flying start. 

    "A new season is beginning, we start from scratch and we'll have to face it with desire and ferocity," Pirlo said. "This is what I'm going to tell the lads tomorrow. We have to start well." 

    Pirlo said it was "easy to settle back in" at Juventus, five years after he left for a playing stint with New York City FC. 

    Experienced former team-mates Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci and Gianluigi Buffon are "behaving very professionally", Pirlo said. 

    "They call me 'Coach', out of respect for their team-mates as well," Pirlo said, speaking in Saturday's pre-match news conference. 

    Swedish winger Kulusevski, so impressive for Parma last season, is primed for his Juventus debut and the 20-year-old will be expected to show flexibility within the team. 

    Pirlo said: "Kulusevski is an intelligent player. He finds space by himself and is showing a lot of openness to play in different roles. 

    "We are inventing something. Neither Ronaldo nor Kulusevski will start central, they will move and rotate."

  • Zidane hoping for Odegaard impact but uncertain on Hazard return Zidane hoping for Odegaard impact but uncertain on Hazard return

    Zinedine Zidane does not know when Eden Hazard will be fit to play for Real Madrid as the Belgium star's struggles in the Spanish capital continue.

    Although Madrid successfully wrested control of LaLiga from Barcelona last season, it was a campaign of personal frustration for Hazard following his initial €100million switch from Chelsea.

    He managed a solitary goal and struggled to regain top condition after undergoing surgery on a broken right foot.

    Hazard signed off his season with a lacklustre showing in Madrid's Champions League last-16 loss to Manchester City.

    The 29-year-old went on international duty during the recent break for Nations League matches against Denmark and Iceland but did not play a single minute and reports from Madrid suggested he returned to pre-season training overweight.

    Before the start of his team's title defence at Real Sociedad on Sunday, Zidane confirmed Hazard would not feature in San Sebastian.

    "I can't tell you when he'll be able to return, just that he's better," he said.

    "The important thing is how the player feels. We have time to prepare for the season.

    "The only thing he has to do is be at 100 per cent and we'll get to work."

    One creative talent ready to play a part is Martin Odegaard, who is back in the Madrid ranks after impressing on loan at Real Sociedad last season – to the extent that Los Blancos opted to recall the 21-year-old Norway international instead of allowing him to spend another campaign at the Anoeta.

    "He's our player and he can contribute to the team," Zidane said of Odegaard, who also spent time on loan with Heerenveen and Vitesse after joining Madrid as a 16-year-old in January 2015.

    "Players that come to Real Madrid are the best. We have another player and he's a player that can be very important in this squad. I know I have the best players here.

    "The important thing for the players is to be prepared and I think Martin, like the others, is prepared.

    "Martin has changed because his trajectory has been phenomenal and he's improved each year. He's a more complete player now."

  • Rashford could be first Man Utd player to get Anfield ovation! – Robertson Rashford could be first Man Utd player to get Anfield ovation! – Robertson

    Marcus Rashford's charity work might see him become the first Manchester United player to get a round of applause at Anfield, said Liverpool defender Andy Robertson.

    United attacker Rashford successfully lobbied to have the free school meal voucher scheme extended to help families hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, with the United Kingdom government making a U-turn and agreeing to cover the summer months.

    The England international also partnered with charity FareShare and helped raise £20million to provide free meals to vulnerable families, before setting up a task force with a group of supermarkets, businesses and charities to call on the government to ease child food poverty in the UK.

    Robertson has started the AR26 charity to help underprivileged kids and released a book about Liverpool's historic Premier League title triumph last season to raise funds for it.

    The Scotland captain was irked by health secretary Matt Hancock calling on footballers to "take a pay cut and play their part" during the early stages of lockdown and thinks Rashford's accomplishments should be applauded by fans across the country.

    "In the lockdown period I decided to set up my own charity, AR26, which is going to help underprivileged kids, which is really important to me," Robertson told Sky Sports News.

    "I have a football academy already up in Glasgow which is going to now not exist and come under the charity, so we're hoping to provide football and potentially other sports up for hopefully free up and down the country and get kids playing sport and staying active.

    "I was watching the TV when Matt Hancock said what he said during lockdown and I couldn't believe it, and then a couple weeks later Marcus Rashford does what he does. And to be honest what he did was remarkable, he got something overturned in government, which doesn't happen for footballers very often. He's an absolute inspiration to all of us.

    "I hope that when fans are allowed back into the grounds that that man gets a standing ovation off every fan, because what he's done to provide food for kids that might not get it is an absolute inspiration.

    "He might just be the first Man United player to get a round of applause at Anfield! Let's see if that happens, but he certainly deserves it and all the plaudits he gets because what he did was phenomenal."

    The Players Together initiative to help generate funds for the NHS, which Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson spearheaded, was launched by Premier League players shortly after Hancock's comments sparked widespread debate.

    "Hendo and all the other captains ended up raising a fund for the NHS, who are the real heroes in all this, who fought the pandemic when a lot of us hid away from it," said Robertson.

    "Hendo was the driving force behind that. These things were all bubbling away when Matt Hancock called us out, and it felt as if we were probably getting attacked when other industries, other sports people were getting attacked.

    "It didn't sit right with me and it didn't sit right with many footballers because I believe we're all very active in what we do and try and help, whether it's family that maybe need charity or it's proper charities.

    "I believe we're all active and I felt it was a wee bit harsh what he said."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.