Setien calms Messi fitness fears as Barca prepare for Getafe

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Barcelona will not take unnecessary risks with Lionel Messi's fitness, head coach Quique Setien has assured.

Barca are light on options in attack as they battle to defend their LaLiga title, with Luis Suarez set to be sidelined until May following knee surgery, while injury-plagued winger Ousmane Dembele will miss the rest of the campaign after an operation on a torn hamstring this week.

Reports earlier this month suggested Messi was playing through pain but Setien insisted he had no concerns over the six-time Ballon d'Or winner ahead of Saturday's home match against high-flying Getafe.

"Messi, like a lot of other players, knows what he can do and what he can’t do," he told a news conference.

"If he's on the pitch it’s because he's able to be. He's okay, there's no problem.

"Like any other players, there will be a time when we have to rest him. I haven’t spent so much time here to be able to evaluate this.

"These players are so used to playing Sunday to Wednesday for many years that in some cases it is not necessary for them to rest, but we will have a look as it goes on."

The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga granted Barcelona special dispensation to sign a replacement for Dembele, with Real Sociedad's Willian Jose among those touted as a possible target.

Setien refused to be drawn on links to Loren Moron, who he coached at Real Betis, with his successor at the Seville club, Rubi, saying such a deal is a non-starter.

"What I've done all of my life is adapt to what I have," Setien said. "If a player arrives then that's preferable.

"Dembele’s injury affects us a lot and puts us in a risky situation. In the end, you have to play with 11 men and that's what we're going to do

"We'll adapt. We'll find a solution and the way forward."

An unlikely solution might have already presented itself in Rey Manaj, the 22-year-old forward signed for Barca B from Albacete during the January transfer window.

Albania international Manaj has trained with the first team over recent days and certainly made an impression with Setien.

"We don’t know Rey completely. We haven’t seen everything he can do because he's spent little time here," he added.

"His willingness is extraordinary and if he's here it's because he is going to help us."

Related items

  • Zidane hoping for Odegaard impact but uncertain on Hazard return Zidane hoping for Odegaard impact but uncertain on Hazard return

    Zinedine Zidane does not know when Eden Hazard will be fit to play for Real Madrid as the Belgium star's struggles in the Spanish capital continue.

    Although Madrid successfully wrested control of LaLiga from Barcelona last season, it was a campaign of personal frustration for Hazard following his initial €100million switch from Chelsea.

    He managed a solitary goal and struggled to regain top condition after undergoing surgery on a broken right foot.

    Hazard signed off his season with a lacklustre showing in Madrid's Champions League last-16 loss to Manchester City.

    The 29-year-old went on international duty during the recent break for Nations League matches against Denmark and Iceland but did not play a single minute and reports from Madrid suggested he returned to pre-season training overweight.

    Before the start of his team's title defence at Real Sociedad on Sunday, Zidane confirmed Hazard would not feature in San Sebastian.

    "I can't tell you when he'll be able to return, just that he's better," he said.

    "The important thing is how the player feels. We have time to prepare for the season.

    "The only thing he has to do is be at 100 per cent and we'll get to work."

    One creative talent ready to play a part is Martin Odegaard, who is back in the Madrid ranks after impressing on loan at Real Sociedad last season – to the extent that Los Blancos opted to recall the 21-year-old Norway international instead of allowing him to spend another campaign at the Anoeta.

    "He's our player and he can contribute to the team," Zidane said of Odegaard, who also spent time on loan with Heerenveen and Vitesse after joining Madrid as a 16-year-old in January 2015.

    "Players that come to Real Madrid are the best. We have another player and he's a player that can be very important in this squad. I know I have the best players here.

    "The important thing for the players is to be prepared and I think Martin, like the others, is prepared.

    "Martin has changed because his trajectory has been phenomenal and he's improved each year. He's a more complete player now."

  • Pirlo scotches prospect of Suarez joining Ronaldo at Juventus Pirlo scotches prospect of Suarez joining Ronaldo at Juventus

    Andrea Pirlo confirmed it is "unlikely" Luis Suarez will join Juventus from Barcelona but vowed the Serie A champions remain in the hunt for a new striker. 

    Although there is much about Suarez that appeals to Juventus, the process of securing an Italian passport for a player who turns 34 in January is a complication that Pirlo addressed on Saturday. 

    Suarez needs that citizenship to be eligible for a move, given the Bianconeri have filled their quota of non-EU players, and he is reportedly eligible to apply because of his wife's family background. 

    The prospect of Suarez teaming up with former Real Madrid rival Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus would have been tantalising, with Pirlo having allowed Gonzalo Higuain to join Inter Miami. 

    But Juventus have questions over how long the passport process for Suarez might take, and Pirlo said, quoted in Corriere dello Sport: "It is difficult because looking at the times for the passport ... it is unlikely he will be our centre forward." 

    Suarez has been left out of Barcelona's squad for Sunday's Joan Gamper Trophy match against Elche, with incoming coach Ronald Koeman looking keen to offload him.

    Speaking in a news conference, Juventus head coach Pirlo said: "We are all waiting for the central striker. The transfer market is long. 

    "We are calm and happy with what we have. There is no rush." 

    Pirlo's first competitive game in charge comes on Sunday when Juventus face Sampdoria in Serie A, the Turin giants launching their quest to secure a 10th consecutive Scudetto.

  • Zidane: I have no problems with spectacular Bale Zidane: I have no problems with spectacular Bale

    Gareth Bale's return to Tottenham is yet to be finalised, according to Zinedine Zidane, who hailed the Wales international's "spectacular" contribution to Real Madrid.

    Bale's loan move to Tottenham, who he left to join Madrid in 2013, is expected to be confirmed after he flew to London on Friday and was seen entering the Premier League club's training ground.

    The 31-year-old was an increasingly marginalised figure under Zidane as Madrid won LaLiga last season, cutting quite the contrast to his goalscoring turns in the 2014 and 2018 Champions League finals.

    An apparent breakdown in relations with his coach has been accepted as the main reason for Bale seeking an exit from the Spanish capital but, speaking ahead of the start of his side's LaLiga defence at Real Sociedad, Zidane insisted there was no personality clash.

    "I'm not annoyed that people are blaming me for his departure because it's not like that," the France great told a Saturday news conference.

    "The matter is more complicated than that. What I can say is that we didn't have any problems between us.

    "No one is going to take away what he's done at Real Madrid. We didn't have any problems, it wasn't like that.

    "I wish him the best. I haven't spoken to him. What he's done here has been phenomenal - you can't dispute that because he's won a lot and shown his quality."

    The lack of confirmation of Bale's signing has caused a measure of anxiety among the Tottenham fanbase and Zidane suggested there are still some details to be ironed out.

    "For now, Bale is one of our players," he said "The matter still has to be finalised.

    "We're not going to talk about things that don't make sense. Bale has been spectacular."

    Sergio Regulion is another player set to move from Madrid to Spurs, having travelled alongside Bale.

    The left-back's impressive season on loan with Europa League winners Sevilla was not enough to earn another chance at the Santiago Bernabeu, despite a poll run by newspaper Marca revealing 70 per cent of fans wanted him to stay.

    "The first thing I have to do is congratulate him on last season," Zidane said.

    "We have two players for each position - no more. I have two left-backs and I can't have more because then it's a lot.

    "I wish him the best because he had a good season at Sevilla."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.