Dortmund boss Favre staying cautious with hotshot Haaland

By Sports Desk February 06, 2020

Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland must still convince Lucien Favre of his match fitness despite a sensational start to life in Germany.

Haaland arrived at Signal Iduna Park from RB Salzburg last month, billed as one of the hottest properties in European football, and the teenage striker has certainly not disappointed.

He scored a hat-trick from the bench to inspire a 5-3 comeback win over Augsburg on debut and followed that with a brace in a 5-1 rout of Cologne.

The Norway international was at the double once more on his first start, with Union Berlin dismissed 5-0, although he was a substitute once more for the DFB-Pokal tie at Werder Bremen in midweek.

Naturally, Haaland scored after his introduction, although BVB fell to a 3-2 defeat.

Asked whether he regretted not starting the in-form forward, Favre kept his sights trained on the bigger picture at a Thursday news conference.

"As I said, I am the first one to [know whether to] let him play from the beginning," he said.

"You don't know his fitness like I do. So, we have to be careful. We have to be reasonable.

"Of course, I would like to let him play all games, but we still have to be careful with him sometimes.

"He is 19 years old and I speak about the pre-season and old injuries. We have to be reasonable."

Favre's hand might be forced, however, given his forward line will be without Marco Reus when they travel to face Bayer Leverkusen this weekend. 

"Unfortunately, Marco is injured now. It happened in the last minute. I am very sorry for him," said Favre, with his captain set for a four-week spell on the sidelines due to a muscular complaint that will cause him to miss the Champions League showdown with Paris Saint-Germain on February 18.

"But Marco is still very important and will be important for the team. There are several options how to replace him, but it depends on the system. Today it’s still not decided."

Emre Can, a deadline-day arrival on an initial loan from Juventus, made a substitute cameo against Werder and could make his league debut for Dortmund against old employers Leverkusen.

"We have to see him in training, how he feels. He did not play a lot [at Juventus this season]," Favre added.

"He made a good impression yesterday. The training was very long and intense. He did very well.

"He has to show in training what he is able to do. We know he can play as a defender with a back three but also in the midfield as six or eight, also in a 4-3-3.

"We will see because right now I cannot tell you exactly."

Related items

  • Premier League COVID-19 cases drop again with eight new positives Premier League COVID-19 cases drop again with eight new positives

    The Premier League has announced eight new positive cases from its most recent two rounds of coronavirus testing, half the amount of players and club staff who tested positive the previous week.  

    Testing was ramped up to twice a week earlier this month due to a rise in the infection rate across the league and the United Kingdom in general.  

    A record 40 positives were identified between December 28 and January 3, with a further 36 cases confirmed the following week.  

    However, the number dropped by 20 between January 11 and 17 and has seen another significant decrease this time around.  

    Across the two rounds carried out between January 18 and 24, 2,518 players and staff were tested for the virus – eight returned positive results.  

    The Premier League does not provide specific information over who the individuals are who test positive, nor which clubs they are associated with.

  • Dardai back in charge at struggling Hertha Berlin Dardai back in charge at struggling Hertha Berlin

    Pal Dardai had no doubts about stepping back up to coach Hertha Berlin again following his appointment on a deal that runs until the end of the 2021-22 season. 

    Having played for the club between 1997 and 2012, the former Hungary international was head coach from 2015 through to 2019. 

    Since then, Ante Covic, Jurgen Klinsmann and, most recently, Bruno Labbadia have been in charge, the latter fired - along with sports director Michael Preetz - following Saturday's 4-1 home loss to Werder Bremen that left Hertha down in 14th position in the Bundesliga table. 

    The club have moved quickly to find a replacement, returning to a familiar face by promoting Dardai, who had been working in the academy. 

    "It certainly wasn't my plan to move from the under-16s back to being first team coach, but nobody needs telling what Hertha means to me, so there was no doubt in my mind that I would be ready to help out in this situation," Dardai said.  

    "I am looking forward to the challenge and working together with the team."

    Dardai's former assistants Andreas Neuendorf and Admir Hamzagic have also returned to their previous roles, joining fitness coaches Henrik Kuchno and Hendrik Vieth, plus goalkeeping coach Zsolt Petry, on a new-look staff. 

    Hertha - who are winless in four games, scoring just once during that run - are next in action on Saturday, travelling to in-form Eintracht Frankfurt.

  • Scolari leaves Cruzeiro after steering them to safety Scolari leaves Cruzeiro after steering them to safety

    Veteran head coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has left Cruzeiro after steering them to safety in Brazil's Serie B.

    Cruzeiro were shockingly relegated from the top flight for the first time in their history in 2019, and in October appointed World Cup-winning coach Scolari on a contract until the end of 2022.

    When the 72-year-old took over, the four-time Brazilian champions were second-bottom due to a poor start and a six-point deduction after being found guilty of an unpaid transfer debt by FIFA.

    A seven-game unbeaten run at the start of Scolari's tenure got them out of the relegation zone but back-to-back defeats to Oeste and Juventude this month put them back in danger of dropping into Serie C.

    A 2-1 victory over Operario-PR last week finally secured their safety, and Scolari has subsequently stepped down.

    A club statement read: "Cruzeiro Esporte Clube and Luiz Felipe Scolari mutually decided to finish the second passage of the multi-champion coach.

    "Collaborating with the club in the most challenging moment in its history, Scolari and his coaching staff fulfilled the important mission of maintaining Cruzeiro in Serie B, having led the team in 21 matches and accumulating nine wins, eight draws and four defeats.

    "Cruzeiro is grateful and recognises all the work, dedication and professionalism of Felipao and his staff for the club at this important moment, and wishes luck and happiness to the world champion coach and his staff."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.