EPL

Sane moving 'surprisingly well' but Guardiola won't put a timescale on return

By Sports Desk January 31, 2020

Leroy Sane is moving "surprisingly well" but there is no timescale for his Manchester City return.

Sane is back in full training for Pep Guardiola's men having been on the sidelines since August after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the Community Shield.

Guardiola was pleased with what he saw from the former Schalke forward on the training pitch but would not commit to a concrete date for Sane's first appearance of the campaign.

"He moves surprisingly really well," Guardiola told a media conference ahead of City's Premier League clash with Tottenham.

Asked for a timescale, he added: "I don't know, he needs a little bit more time I think so, but we'll see."

Sane was heavily linked with a move to Bayern Munich when he injured his knee, having rejected the offer of a new contract from City, and talk of a switch has never really subsided.

However, there have been some suggestions that a move back to his homeland is not as sure fire as it once seemed.

"I don't have any new news," Guardiola replied when that speculation was put to him.

"You have to ask to [director of football] Txiki [Begiristain]. The last info I had, we offer him from long time ago, an offer, and all the time he reject it. After that, I don't know any news."

Centre-back Aymeric Laporte missed the last two games after making his return from a knee injury against Sheffield United on January 21.

"Laporte is okay, he had fatigue - he wasn't injured. Maybe he can play against Spurs," added Guardiola.

Pressed on his confidence Laporte will not have a setback, Guardiola said: "I would tell you if he had a problem I would tell you. I answer what is the truth."

Related items

  • Juventus not signing Barca's Suarez, insists Paratici Juventus not signing Barca's Suarez, insists Paratici

    Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed Barcelona star Luis Suarez will not be joining the Serie A champions, while insisting the club are not only eyeing Roma striker Edin Dzeko.

    Reportedly told he can leave embattled LaLiga giants Barca, veteran forward Suarez had been heavily linked with Cristiano Ronaldo's Juve following Gonzalo Higuain's move to David Beckham's Inter Miami in MLS.

    But a delay in securing an Italian passport for the 33-year-old Uruguay international has scuppered those plans, Paratici confirmed prior to Sunday's season-opening 3-0 win over Sampdoria.

    "Suarez can be removed from that list, because the time it takes to get the passport is longer than the transfer deadline or the moment we can hand in the Champions League lists," said Paratici, whose Juve have already filled their non-European quota.

    "We evaluated the Suarez option when it was proposed to us. He was in the process of getting Italian citizenship, so we evaluated the possibility of registering him in time.

    "It is not possible, so he was never really close."

    While Suarez is off the list, Juve – led by rookie head coach Andrea Pirlo – continue to be linked with Roma's Dzeko.

    Dzeko's proposed move to Juve is reportedly tied to Roma signing Napoli forward Arkadiusz Milik as a replacement in the Italian capital.

    Amid uncertainty over this future, Dzeko was an unused substitute in Roma's goalless draw at Hellas Verona on Saturday.

    "Let's say there isn't a Dzeko situation, it's a striker situation, as Juventus need a centre-forward," Paratici said as Juve reportedly try to re-sign Moise Kean from Everton. "We know what we want and are working towards that calmly, there are 15 days to go in the transfer window and we're in no rush.

    "There are other situations, not just Dzeko. We know what we want. We're working for a striker who can work with Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala.

    "At this moment, we are seeking one striker, we have our objectives and will try to pursue them calmly, regardless of the names."

  • Montreal Impact 1-4 Philadelphia Union: Przybylko nets brace in comfortable win Montreal Impact 1-4 Philadelphia Union: Przybylko nets brace in comfortable win

    Philadelphia Union thrashed a 10-man Montreal Impact 4-1 to move into second position in the Eastern Conference in MLS.

    Romell Quioto had given Thierry Henry's Montreal an early lead at Red Bull Arena on Sunday, but his first-half red card proved costly.

    Alejandro Bedoya levelled before Kacper Przybylko's brace either side of half-time, and Anthony Fontana sealed the win.

    Quioto found the bottom corner with a 25-yard free-kick in just the fifth minute, but he was sent off 11 minutes later for elbowing Mark McKenzie.

    Quioto's goal was the first time Montreal had scored from a direct free-kick shot since 2018, according to Opta.

    Philadelphia quickly took advantage of the sending off as Bedoya drove home a powerful finish from inside the area to make it 1-1 midway through the first half.

    Przybylko headed in Matt Real's cross on the stroke of half-time and the forward put away a Brenden Aaronson pass early in the second half.

    Fontana's low 20-yard effort in the 65th minute sealed the win as Philadelphia returned to second, three points behind Columbus Crew, while Montreal are sixth.

    As per Opta, Philadelphia have scored eight goals from outside the box this season, which is three more than any other MLS team.

  • Klopp hails 'outstanding' Fabinho performance against Chelsea Klopp hails 'outstanding' Fabinho performance against Chelsea

    Jurgen Klopp lauded Fabinho for an "outstanding" performance at centre-back in Liverpool's 2-0 Premier League win over Chelsea on Sunday.

    With Joe Gomez and Joel Matip injured, Fabinho moved into the centre of defence alongside Virgil van Dijk and produced a fine display at Stamford Bridge.

    Sadio Mane's second-half brace lifted Liverpool to a second straight win to begin the Premier League season, with the attacker earlier brought down by Andreas Christensen that led to the defender being sent off.

    Klopp hailed Fabinho for his performance, although Liverpool needed a penalty save from Alisson to deny Jorginho to keep their clean sheet.

    "If Sadio wouldn't have scored two goals, I think Fab would be a proper contender for man of the match," the Liverpool manager told a news conference.

    "I loved his performance, he played outstanding. He helped us a lot with the ball and in defending as well, so yes, a proper performance."

    Fabinho made a game-high four interceptions and gained possession 12 times, while completing 86 of his 89 passes.

    In a further boost for Liverpool, Thiago Alcantara made his debut, replacing Jordan Henderson at half-time.

    But Mane starred with his brace and Klopp said the attacker's second goal, when he dispossessed Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, highlighter Liverpool's hunger.

    "It says everything about that and it says everything about the team as well. I love that because we have these situations quite a lot – that we chase the goalie," he said.

    "I think in the first half Sadio was really close to blocking it there already but you just have to do it. I love it when we get the rewards for these kinds of situations.

    "The first goal was a nice piece of football, everybody involved pretty much. [Roberto] Firmino cross and then Sadio comes in front of his man, so it's really difficult to defend. Good goal and gave the game the right direction. That's exactly what we have to show all the time, that's what we wanted to show today.

    "I saw us today, I saw us playing football today and I'm completely fine with that. I loved it."

    Liverpool face Lincoln City in the EFL Cup on Thursday before hosting Arsenal in the Premier League four days later.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.