EPL

Sometimes you want to try something new – Eriksen explains Spurs exit in farewell letter after joining Inter

By Sports Desk January 29, 2020

Christian Eriksen put his decision to leave Tottenham for Inter down to a desire to "try something new" after six and a half years in London.

Eriksen joined Spurs in 2013 from Ajax and enjoyed a productive spell with the club, swiftly establishing himself in the starting XI and becoming a key player.

During his time in the Premier League, Eriksen developed into one of English football's most acclaimed playmakers, with Manchester United and Real Madrid said to have been long-term admirers.

It became apparent Eriksen was not going to sign a new contract with Spurs during pre-season and, with speculation around his future, the Denmark international subsequently struggled for form.

He eventually sealed a move to Inter on Tuesday, with Spurs reportedly receiving €20million for him despite his contract expiring at the end of the season, and Eriksen explained his departure in a letter.

It read: "Dear Tottenham fans, I don't know where to start! I didn't have the time to say goodbye to everyone, even though it felt like I played a lot of games where everyone said and thought I would be gone the next day.

"I have so many unbelievable memories over the last six and a half years I was at Spurs. I enjoyed being at the training ground everyday and playing games in the stadium so much, but sometimes you just want to try something new!

"So, Spurs fans, it has been a pleasure to play at your club and hopefully we meet again in the future!"

Eriksen signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with Inter, while Spurs confirmed the permanent signing of Giovani Lo Celso from Real Betis essentially as his replacement almost straight after the Serie A club made their announcement.

Spurs then followed that up with the acquisition of Netherlands international winger Steven Bergwijn on Wednesday.

Related items

  • Milan in no hurry to agree new contract with Donnarumma, says Maldini Milan in no hurry to agree new contract with Donnarumma, says Maldini

    Milan will do their all to agree a new contract with Gianluigi Donnarumma but are in no rush to do so, according to technical director Paolo Maldini.

    Donnarumma made his debut for Milan as a 16-year-old in 2015-16 and has already appeared more than 200 times, but his current deal is due to expire next year..

    The Italian side revealed last month talks are ongoing with the young goalkeeper over extending his stay at San Siro beyond the end of this season.

    Maldini has hailed the growing influence of Donnarumma on the field and is hopeful the contract saga will soon come to an end.

    "Gigio is becoming more and more of a leader and is growing game after game," Maldini told Sky Sport Italia. "He is just 21 but already has over 200 appearances for Milan.

    "This is why it is a duty to try to close the renewal When will that happen? Let's see, there is no rush. Ten or 15 more days will certainly not change anything."

    Milan managed to finalise a new deal for Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the end of last month, tying the veteran striker down for an additional season.

    And Maldini has hailed the impact made by the ex-Sweden international, who has scored 14 goals in 22 appearances since returning to Milan on a free transfer in January.

    "The first positive things of last season came after the winter break when Zlatan arrived," he said. 

    "His presence was essential to give energy to his team-mates. They were the youngest team in the league and this year they have grown even more. 

    "The matches for him are like Champions League finals. He is like a champion [in how he] behaves. 

    "He is not the only one I have seen in my career, I was like that too. It's an innate competitiveness that makes him a champion."

  • Wolves sign right-back Semedo from Barcelona Wolves sign right-back Semedo from Barcelona

    Wolves have completed the signing of right-back Nelson Semedo from Barcelona on an initial three-year deal.

    Semedo arrives at Molineux in a reported £32.2million (€35m) transfer as a replacement for Matt Doherty, who joined Tottenham last month.

    The Portugal international, who spent three years at Camp Nou after signing from Benfica, posted a message to Barca on his Instagram page on Tuesday before Wolves confirmed his arrival the following day.

    Semedo wrote: "Thank you very much Barcelona for giving me the dream of wearing this shirt. Thank you for making me grow as a player and as a person.

    "I've had three wonderful years that I won't forget. I want to thank my team-mates, the staff, the fans and all the people who have helped me from the moment I arrived until today."

    Semedo is the latest player to leave the Blaugrana as new coach Ronald Koeman overhauls the first-team squad following a dismal 2019-20 campaign.

    The 26-year-old featured 42 times in all competitions last season, scoring once, as Barca lost their LaLiga crown, failed to win a trophy and crashed out of the Champions League in humiliating fashion, going down 8-2 to Bayern Munich.

    Arturo Vidal has left for Inter, while Luis Suarez is also expected to depart. The club blocked captain Lionel Messi's exit.

    Semedo's departure had been anticipated, with Barca linked with bids for alternative right-back options - including Arsenal's Hector Bellerin, Norwich City's Max Aarons and Ajax's Sergino Dest.

    Contrasting reports have Aarons and Dest close to moves to Catalonia.

    Semedo was welcomed at Wolves, where his new contract has the option for a further two years.

    "It isn't often that we have the opportunity to sign a world-class player from a world-class club," executive chairman Jeff Shi said. "Nelson's signing shows we will never stop progressing and we are still hungry and humble in our heart."

    Semedo, a two-time LaLiga winner, added: "I'm very excited to be here. It's a very good team. To play in the Premier League is a dream from me, too."

  • Real Madrid announce no new positive coronavirus tests Real Madrid announce no new positive coronavirus tests

    Real Madrid have announced that no players or staff members have tested positive for coronavirus.

    News emerged on Tuesday that midfielder Martin Odegaard had reportedly returned a positive test after Madrid's goalless draw with Real Sociedad.

    The 21-year-old took part in training on Tuesday and was also in close contact with Sociedad's players at the weekend.

    However, Madrid released a statement on their official website on Wednesday to announce no members of their squad have contracted COVID-19.

    "Real Madrid communicates after the latest COVID-19 tests carried out on our first football team and their coaching staff, all the results have been negative," the statement read.

    Madrid return to action on Saturday with a trip to Real Betis, who have won their opening two games to occupy second place in the division.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.