Neymar determined to give everything for PSG - Navas

By Sports Desk January 26, 2020

Neymar is "determined to give everything" for Paris Saint-Germain, according to goalkeeper Keylor Navas.

Brazil international Neymar was heavily linked with a return to Barcelona in the close season, just two years after leaving them for a world-record fee of €222million.

But the 27-year-old has scored 64 goals in 74 appearances for PSG and this season formed a key part of the 'Fantastic Four' with Kylian Mbappe, Mauro Icardi and Angel Di Maria.

Neymar has reportedly cancelled a party for his upcoming birthday in order to focus solely on PSG, a mentality Navas has taken note of.

Asked about the club's formidable attacking line-up, Navas told Telefoot: "These are players with an incredible level and, for me, it is a privilege to be able to play with them.

"We feel calmer and we believe in them. We know that they will do good work.

"Neymar is a player at a whole different level, in a different world. We are very happy to have him in our team because he helps us a lot, he makes us stronger. And we know that he is determined to give everything."

After being eliminated from the Champions League at the quarter-final stage for four straight seasons from 2012-13, PSG have exited the competition at the last 16 in their three most recent campaigns.

Thomas Tuchel's side have a tricky tie with his former team Borussia Dortmund in the first knockout round coming up this term, but Navas believes they are ready to break new ground.

"We have a very good squad, all the conditions are there, we are ambitious and we want to win titles," said the Costa Rica international, who arrived from Real Madrid in September.

"This team is of a very high calibre, with players who achieve incredible things individually but the most important thing is that the squad is united 100 per cent.

"I am very happy, everyone here welcomed me really nicely, my family feels good and I have great team-mates. I am really enjoying myself. However, that is never sufficient.

"I always want to win, again and again. I did not come to PSG to have a good time, but to work with humility, desire and above all to win titles because that's what we love."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles

    Manchester United's problems in the transfer window have reportedly continued as they target Federico Chiesa and Alex Telles.

    The Premier League giants have had a tough window so far, with only Donny van de Beek arriving from Ajax.

    That is their only inclusion despite links to the likes of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and Telles, and their progress is still seemingly slow ahead of the window closing on Monday.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD'S CHIESA BID REJECTED, SNUBBED OVER TELLES

    Manchester United had a loan enquiry for Fiorentina attacker Chiesa turned down, according to The Telegraph.

    As they struggle to land a deal for Sancho, United have been linked with Chiesa and Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.

    Chiesa, a 22-year-old Italy international, has made a fine start to this season, scoring once and providing an assist in two Serie A games.

    United seemed closer to bringing in Telles, but O Jogo reports Porto did not even respond to their first bid for the left-back – believed to be around £11.8million (€13m) – as the Portuguese giants see it as unrealistic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - After Luis Suarez's arrival at Atletico Madrid, Diego Costa is linked with a move away. AS reports Paris Saint-Germain are considering a move for the forward, and it adds Atletico could look to replace him with free agent Edinson Cavani.

    - Manchester City's transfer business in this window could be done. The Sun reports any plans for the Premier League side to bring in a left-back – either Bayern Munich's David Alaba or Ajax's Nicolas Tagliafico – are reliant on a late bid being received for Oleksandr Zinchenko.

    - Are Bayern Munich looking for a back-up for star Robert Lewandowski? Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sign Hoffenheim forward Andrej Kramaric. The Croatia international scored twice against Bayern in the Bundesliga on Saturday and is up to seven goals in three games in 2020-21.

    - Tottenham are reportedly looking at Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius. Football.London says Spurs are hoping to loan the striker with an option to buy for £36.3m (€40m). Carlos Vinicius scored 24 goals in 47 games in all competitions last season.

    - Staying at Spurs and Sky Sports reports Celtic have made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon. However, it says finances are problematic, while multiple Premier League clubs are also keeping an eye on Sessegnon.

    - Andreas Pereira is set to leave Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports a deal between United and Lazio has been signed for a loan with option to buy for €27m (£24.5m).

  • Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas claims three major clubs are interested in signing star midfielder Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have emerged as favourites to prise Aouar from Lyon, though the Premier League club are yet to agree a fee as the Ligue 1 side hold out for £55million (€60m).

    French outlet Telefoot reported on Friday that Aouar has agreed personal terms with Arsenal, who are reportedly willing to pay £36m (€40m) for the 22-year-old.

    Aouar, however, has also been linked to the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain following Lyon's memorable run to the 2019-20 Champions League semi-final.

    "Things haven't really advanced. We know that three major clubs – two in the short term and one in the medium term – are interested in Houssem," Aulas told reporters on Wednesday when asked about Aouar following the arrival of Lucas Paqueta from Milan.

    "They are some of the biggest clubs. They have all been in the Champions League and have performed well. Talks are difficult. The clubs are not able to provide us with financial commitments.

    "Some, like I have said with Barcelona, are in great difficulty. That is the difficulty. We are all working, night and day."

    Lyon have struggled for form since kicking off their 2020-21 season, managing just one win from five games in Ligue 1.

    Rudi Garcia's Lyon are 11th in the table, seven points behind unbeaten leaders Rennes.

  • Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is "never surprised" to see Juan Mata take control of matches after the midfielder scored one and set up another in Manchester United's 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Mata picked out Scott McTominay from a free-kick for United's opener in Wednesday's last-16 tie before profiting from a brilliant Donny van de Beek assist to bring up his 50th goal for the club.

    The 32-year-old also scored in the third-round win over Luton Town and has now been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 15 starts for United.

    He has not been part of Solskjaer's squad for the opening two rounds of Premier League fixtures, but the United head coach is happy with the Spaniard's latest contribution in the cup competitions.

    "It was a great performance by Juan Mata," Solskjaer told Sky Sports. "He was the one who got on the ball and calmed us down. He was composed. 

    "He more or less creates the first goal himself. I am never surprised when he plays like this.

    "He has been around the block and knows football. He does his work and is at the back stick to shield the ball from Dan Burn at a corner in the second half."

    Victory for United was their third in a row in all competitions, four days on from snatching a last-gasp 3-2 win over Brighton at the same venue in the Premier League.

    Paul Pogba rounded off the scoring for United 11 minutes after being brought off the bench in a morale-boosting win for Solskjaer's side following some below-par performances to begin the campaign.

    "We needed the first 20-25 minutes to get our confidence and get on the ball. We have worked on set-pieces. You keep a clean sheet and this is important for a back four," he said.

    "We wanted to bring on Pogba for 25-30 minutes for a workout. The game was there for him. Paul and Marcus [Rashford] found some good positions."

    United continue to be linked with Jadon Sancho - left out of Borussia Dortmund's squad for Wednesday's 3-2 DFL-Supercup loss to Bayern Munich because of illness - with five days of the transfer window to go.

    And while remaining tight-lipped on speculation that United have had another bid knocked back, Solskjaer is confident his bosses are doing all they can to bring in additional quality.

    "I can't give you any news," he said when asked directly about the Sancho situation. "We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad. 

    "We changed 10 players from Saturday. If there is any update, we will let you know. I don't comment on other teams' players. I can't concern myself with other clubs. 

    "I know the club is working well and hard to have a strong squad as possible. Sometimes speculation is there and we can't control that."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.