LaLiga president condemns 'step back' after Williams makes racism complaint

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

LaLiga president Javier Tebas condemned an awful day for Spanish football after Inaki Williams reported racist abuse while Barcelona and Valencia fans clashed at Mestalla.

Athletic Bilbao striker Williams said he was racially abused by Espanyol supporters during their top-flight match on Saturday.

The forward passed on a complaint to Athletic captain Iker Muniain, who in turn spoke with referee Jose Maria Sanchez Martinez, while Williams appeared to clash with fans as he was substituted.

Elsewhere, supporters of Barca and Valencia were involved in violent confrontations ahead of a match the home side won 2-0, handing Blaugrana head coach Quique Setien his first defeat.

Tebas vowed LaLiga would investigate both incidents, posting on Twitter: "Today we have taken a step back in the work started years ago.

"The violent incidents of Barcelona and Valencia, the racist insults to Inaki Williams, they do a lot of damage to all of Spanish football.

"LaLiga takes responsibility. We will look with the clubs where the error is."

Williams posted a message on his official Twitter account, writing: "It is very sad that today we continue to see racism in football. We have to end it among EVERYONE. Thanks for your support."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles

    Manchester United's problems in the transfer window have reportedly continued as they target Federico Chiesa and Alex Telles.

    The Premier League giants have had a tough window so far, with only Donny van de Beek arriving from Ajax.

    That is their only inclusion despite links to the likes of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and Telles, and their progress is still seemingly slow ahead of the window closing on Monday.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD'S CHIESA BID REJECTED, SNUBBED OVER TELLES

    Manchester United had a loan enquiry for Fiorentina attacker Chiesa turned down, according to The Telegraph.

    As they struggle to land a deal for Sancho, United have been linked with Chiesa and Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.

    Chiesa, a 22-year-old Italy international, has made a fine start to this season, scoring once and providing an assist in two Serie A games.

    United seemed closer to bringing in Telles, but O Jogo reports Porto did not even respond to their first bid for the left-back – believed to be around £11.8million (€13m) – as the Portuguese giants see it as unrealistic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - After Luis Suarez's arrival at Atletico Madrid, Diego Costa is linked with a move away. AS reports Paris Saint-Germain are considering a move for the forward, and it adds Atletico could look to replace him with free agent Edinson Cavani.

    - Manchester City's transfer business in this window could be done. The Sun reports any plans for the Premier League side to bring in a left-back – either Bayern Munich's David Alaba or Ajax's Nicolas Tagliafico – are reliant on a late bid being received for Oleksandr Zinchenko.

    - Are Bayern Munich looking for a back-up for star Robert Lewandowski? Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sign Hoffenheim forward Andrej Kramaric. The Croatia international scored twice against Bayern in the Bundesliga on Saturday and is up to seven goals in three games in 2020-21.

    - Tottenham are reportedly looking at Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius. Football.London says Spurs are hoping to loan the striker with an option to buy for £36.3m (€40m). Carlos Vinicius scored 24 goals in 47 games in all competitions last season.

    - Staying at Spurs and Sky Sports reports Celtic have made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon. However, it says finances are problematic, while multiple Premier League clubs are also keeping an eye on Sessegnon.

    - Andreas Pereira is set to leave Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports a deal between United and Lazio has been signed for a loan with option to buy for €27m (£24.5m).

  • Zidane unsure how long 'upset' Hazard will be sidelined Zidane unsure how long 'upset' Hazard will be sidelined

    Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane is unsure how long Eden Hazard will be sidelined, but said the attacker was "upset" after another injury setback.

    Hazard, 29, is enduring a torrid run in Madrid, and is yet to make an appearance this season.

    The Belgium international was ready to return from an ankle problem, but suffered a muscle injury that saw him miss Wednesday's 1-0 LaLiga victory over Real Valladolid.

    Zidane is unsure how long Hazard, signed for a reported €100million from Chelsea last year, will be unavailable.

    "I can't tell you how long it'll be. He picked up a bit of a knock in training before the game," he told a news conference.

    "It looked like a muscle spasm but in the end it turned out to be a bit more than that. It's something muscular. It's nothing to do with the injury he's had and these things happen.

    "He's been out for a long time. I don't think this one will be long but I can't tell you exactly."

    Hazard has struggled to impress since arriving at Madrid, where he scored one goal and provided three assists in 16 LaLiga appearances last season.

    Zidane said the former Lille star was disappointed after his latest injury.

    "He's upset because he was all right. We talked about it at the press conference before the match, but he's had a setback and these things can happen," he said.

    "He's not happy, he knows that it's not a big thing and we have to take it easy with him. It's a question of little time, I'm sure."

    After earning seven points from their opening three LaLiga games, Madrid visit Levante on Sunday.

  • Zidane: 'Anything can happen' with Man Utd target Jovic Zidane: 'Anything can happen' with Man Utd target Jovic

    Zinedine Zidane says "anything can happen" with Luka Jovic ahead of the transfer deadline after he struggled in Real Madrid's win over Real Valladolid.

    Jovic has been consistently linked with a loan departure in the current window, having netted just twice for Madrid in all competitions since signing last year.

    Manchester United have been mentioned as potential suitors this week, yet the Serbia striker was in Zidane's XI for a second consecutive match.

    Jovic had three shots in total but could not find the net, missing the target with his first two before the break when he looked set to score from the start for the first time in his Madrid career.

    With the deadline now just days away, Zidane appeared open to either keeping or loaning the forward.

    "I can't confirm anything until October 5," the coach said of Jovic. "He is a player in the squad. I decide and that's it.

    "I'm not going to say anything about what's going to happen. Anything cran happen. He's here and he played today."

    Zidane introduced Vinicius Junior in place of Jovic and the Brazil winger netted the winner in a 1-0 success.

    But Madrid and their coach were also grateful to goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois for a string of good stops.

    "He saved us last week and today too," Zidane said. "That's what Thibaut is for."

    Courtois added to Movistar+: "We knew it was a difficult game against a team that drew with us last year.

    "We had chances in the first half and they did not create danger. In the second, I had to make good saves but then we finished the game.

    "What counts are the three points. We have to keep improving."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.