EPL

Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

Jose Mourinho says the form of Giovani Lo Celso is giving Tottenham "an easy decision" to sign him on a permanent basis.

A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton on Saturday.

The 23-year-old also had a goal disallowed and Mourinho is sure he has done enough to earn a permanent place at Spurs, having initially joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis, with an option to buy.

Mourinho said: "It's not an obligation, it's an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. 

"He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

"Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

"But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

Son, meanwhile, has netted in back-to-back matches at a time where star striker Harry Kane is out injured.

Mourinho, whose side will now play an FA Cup replay against Saints, added of Son: "All of the attacking players need this happiness of scoring goals. 

"In the first half he had one easier than the goal he scored, facing the keeper the angle was good, the shot was good but for inches he missed. 

"It is a good goal, an important goal, so it is good for him.

"Playing a replay will affect [our mid-season break] a little bit. There is one more match we have to play. It is not a personal situation, Ralph Hasenhuttl was telling me the same, we don't need one more match. 

"But I think both me and him prefer to play again than to be out. No drama, let's go."

Related items

  • Simeone: Congratulations to Leipzig, Atletico went out fairly Simeone: Congratulations to Leipzig, Atletico went out fairly

    Diego Simeone had no complaints about the manner of Atletico Madrid's Champions League exit, insisting his team gave their all but RB Leipzig deserved victory.

    Leipzig stunned Atletico with a 2-1 triumph in Lisbon on Thursday as Tyler Adams hit a late, deflected winner.

    Joao Felix had earlier cancelled out Dani Olmo's opener from the penalty spot, but Atletico struggled to break down the Bundesliga side and were carved open too often going the other way.

    Simeone simply offered his congratulations to Leipzig as they advanced to set up a semi-final meeting with Paris Saint-Germain.

    "We gave it everything we had," he told Movistar. "It was difficult for us to win the duels and they were faster.

    "It has been a long year, with those 60 days off. Then there was pressure coming back to the Champions League. We had one week off then back to training.

    "We haven't been able to play the way we wanted. I liked Leipzig. They had great determination, enthusiasm and freshness. That cost us. There are no excuses.

    "We gave our best and made it to the quarter-finals. We are going out fairly and we have to congratulate our opponents."

  • Bruno Fernandes: Europa League title can be start of something special for Man Utd Bruno Fernandes: Europa League title can be start of something special for Man Utd

    Bruno Fernandes believes winning the Europa League will stand Manchester United in good stead to challenge for the Premier League title next season.

    Fernandes scored from the penalty spot in extra time as United edged past Copenhagen 1-0 earlier this week to set up a Europa League semi-final with Sevilla on Sunday.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United have already fallen at the semi-final stage in the EFL Cup and FA Cup this season, but January signing Fernandes is keen to put that right following his side's third-placed finish in the Premier League.

    "I think it's so important to win because every player needs to understand how it is to win a trophy for Manchester United," Fernandes is quoted as saying by several British newspapers.

    "For the coach, it will be important and for the players because I think we've done very well until now.

    "I think if we finish with a trophy, it will not be perfect, but it will be a good year for us because Manchester United needs to come back again to win some trophies and fight for the European competitions and also the league. Finishing well now is a good start for next season."

    United's last major honour was the 2017 Europa League and Fernandes is hopeful that two more victories in this season's tournament in Germany will be the catalyst for further success for Solskjaer's young squad.

    "I think we need to keep progressing and we need to start the league with the mentality to win," he said. "We know we play for a big club with big aspirations, also the players, we have big aspirations and we need to win some trophies.

    "Of course, the Premier League is one of the trophies we want to win and I think to win the Europa League would be good for the mentality of winning trophies and fighting with the top clubs.

    "For next season, if we can win this, it will be important."

    Mason Greenwood has been one of the standout stars of the season for United, contributing to 17 goals in all competitions – five of those coming in the Europa League.

    And Fernandes, who has been a major success since arriving at Old Trafford from Sporting CP in January, can only see the teenage forward getting better over time.

    "I think Mason has done a great season, of course," he said. "Mason is young and he has great numbers this season.

    "The age is just a number and you see Mason has done very well.

    "He can do much more because of the qualities he has and he still has to grow up physically. He did fantastically this season and he will get better.

    "He needs to play more and get more confidence from his team-mates and the staff and I think he will get much better because he has that quality."

  • Saul 'very sorry' to Atletico fans after Champions League exit Saul 'very sorry' to Atletico fans after Champions League exit

    Saul Niguez apologised to Atletico Madrid fans after Diego Simeone's side fell to a late 2-1 defeat against RB Leipzig in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    Atleti looked to have a realistic route to the final after being put in the same half of the draw as Leipzig, Paris Saint-Germain and Atalanta.

    But after Tyler Adams struck in the 88th minute to restore Leipzig's lead following Joao Felix's response to a Dani Olmo opener, the Bundesliga outfit advanced in Lisbon to earn a showdown with PSG.

    Atletico midfielder Saul acknowledged the scale of the disappointment for the club's supporters in Lisbon on Thursday.

    "The opponents were superior in many phases of the game," the Spain international said post-game.

    "We were very excited. The fans deserved more. We had a point of hope and we are very sorry."

    Meanwhile, captain and team-mate Koke voiced his disappointment at failing to capitalise on the unique format of this season's competition, where one-legged ties bring the latter stages closer into view.

    "We were very excited about this Champions League and now it's time to get up," he said. "On the field, sometimes you are better and sometimes worse. We have to see what has failed.

    "This is a different competition. In three games, we could have won the Champions League. Now that will not be able to happen."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.