Emergency at Inter! But Conte says rumours make it look like Nerazzurri are buying up Real Madrid stars

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

Antonio Conte admitted Inter face a midfield "emergency" as he dismissed transfer talk as making it look like the club were "buying half of Real Madrid".

Conte is considering giving new recruits Ashley Young and Victor Moses immediate debuts against Cagliari on Sunday, with Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud and Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen also thought to be targets.

With Marcelo Brozovic suffering an ankle injury in last weekend's draw at Lecce, Antonio Candreva suspended and Valentin Lazaro loaned to Newcastle, Inter lack engine-room options for the San Siro clash.

The 1-1 outcome against Lecce has left Inter four points behind Serie A leaders Juventus.

Asked whether the confirmed new arrivals could figure, after Young signed from Manchester United and Moses was prised from Chelsea on loan, Conte stressed he would do whatever it takes to ensure Inter are competitive in midfield.

Young and Moses can both play as attacking full-backs or in wide midfield roles.

"Tomorrow we are in emergency," Conte said in a Saturday news conference.

"We have only three midfielders. Candreva is suspended and Lazaro has left, meaning we will also need to make hasty decisions.

"However, as for the title we need to focus on ourselves. This is what we have to do at all times. We cannot worry about the other teams. Let us focus on ourselves and our job. I want us to keep improving. Let us keep up this enthusiasm."

Eriksen was left out of Tottenham's team on Saturday for the FA Cup game against Southampton, indicating he may have played his last game for former Inter boss Jose Mourinho.

Yet Conte has become bemused by media coverage of Inter's pursuit of new players, telling reporters: "You make it seem that we're buying half of Real Madrid."

Conte outlined Inter's transfer policy and said supporters should not expect Young and Moses to instantly become game-changers with the Nerazzurri.

"If we get cash then we will invest I think," Conte said. "But I don't think that is a surprise or anything strange. We want to strengthen this squad.

"[Chief executive Giuseppe] Marotta has been very clear on this matter. If we bring in two players, for instance, two will leave. But let us keep our feet on the ground.

"We cannot put too much expectation on the new arrivals. Young and Moses did not play much at their previous clubs so they need time to settle. Let us be patient and give them time."

Criticism of Inter's performance in the draw at Lecce rankles with Conte, who says his team cannot always play at their peak.

"Listen, it is simple," he said. "We need to go at full pelt in every game.

"I know that is not always possible. During a season there are lots of games, so you cannot always give 110 per cent. It is normal to have an off day every now and then. That is football and it happens."

Related items

  • Arsenal bring in Runarsson following Martinez's departure Arsenal bring in Runarsson following Martinez's departure

    Arsenal have confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Alex Runarsson from Ligue 1 club Dijon in a deal reportedly worth just over £1million (€1.1m).

    The Gunners were left short of a back-up goalkeeper after Emiliano Martinez left to join Aston Villa last week.

    Martinez had impressed at the end of last season and helped Arsenal win the FA Cup and Community Shield, but left for Villa Park in search of regular first-team football.

    With Bernd Leno now the undisputed number one, 25-year-old Runarsson has been brought in to serve as deputy.

    "We want to create healthy competition for places and we look forward to seeing Alex bring further depth to the goalkeeping position," said Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta.

    Runarsson, an Iceland international, will wear the number 13 shirt.

    Arsenal's technical director Edu added: "We're very pleased to welcome Alex to our squad. We have been monitoring him for some time and from the analysis, he has strong attributes that we look for in a goalkeeper and as a person."

    The Gunners have picked up where they left off from last season, winning both of their opening Premier League fixtures against Fulham and West Ham respectively.

  • FIFA lifts restrictions from JFF following successful review FIFA lifts restrictions from JFF following successful review

    FIFA has lifted financial restrictions imposed on the Jamaica Football Federation last year.

  • Rubiales re-elected as RFEF president Rubiales re-elected as RFEF president

    Luis Rubiales has been re-elected unopposed as the president of the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

    Rubiales is set to serve a four-year term, with his return to office a formality after former Spain captain and 2010 World Cup winner Iker Casillas withdrew his candidacy in June.

    The 43-year-old took on RFEF's top job in May 2018 after predecessor Angel Maria Villar was sacked amid corruption charges.

    He quickly became embroiled in controversy on the eve of the 2018 World Cup, sacking Julen Lopetegui after the Spain coach was announced as Real Madrid boss for the start of the 2018-19 season.

    Under caretaker boss Fernando Hierro, Spain limped to a last-16 exit on penalties against hosts Russia.

    Rubiales then clashed bitterly with LaLiga chief Javier Tebas over the latter's desire to stage a Spanish top flight game in the United States, while the country's top two football administrators have rarely seen eye to eye.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.