Milan know how to suffer - Pioli pleased with mentality of his players

By Sports Desk January 24, 2020

Milan boss Stefano Pioli praised the character of his players for digging deep to keep their winning run going with a 1-0 victory at Brescia.

Ante Rebic was the match-winning hero for Milan for the second week running, the second-half substitute blasting home 19 minutes from time to lift his side up to sixth.

The Rossoneri had to ride their luck in Friday's clash at Stadio Mario Rigamonti, with goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma producing a series of fine saves prior to Rebic's winner.

And Pioli admitted it was far from a convincing display by his side, even though Theo Hernandez nearly added a second late on when striking the crossbar.

"It was not a beautiful Milan performance," he told Sky Sport Italia. "We know we can play better, but we had a great attitude and showed we know how to suffer.

"We must continue like this. I am satisfied with the mentality and it must remain the same. From a tactical and technical point of view, we have to do more.

"We are a completely different team to the start of the season, both on the pitch and in terms of attitude. Even tonight we understood how tough Serie A can be."

Lucas Paqueta was left out of Milan's squad amid suggestions he has asked for a move away, and Pioli is not ruling out further transfer business before the window shuts.

"Lucas is going through a difficult moment. I would have preferred to take him, but yesterday the situation was not clear. If there are exits then there will be arrivals."

Donnarumma was equal to two Ernesto Torregrossa shots in the space of 23 seconds and also kept out attempts from Florian Aye and Dimitri Bisoli either side of half-time.

Milan have kept four clean sheets in five unbeaten matches in 2020 and Donnarumma is now eyeing fourth-place Roma, who are seven points better off with a game in hand.

"We knew that coming to Brescia was not going to be easy, so it took a great game from everyone," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"We are more compact at the back. We work in training to achieve this, but it is thanks to the whole team.

"Our goal now is to qualify for Europe. We must continue like this and not relax. We take it game by game and won't stop. 

"We have to win as many games as possible and then at the end of the season we will see."

Brescia were without suspended striker Mario Balotelli against his former club and will rue an inability to convert their chances.

Eugenio Corini's charges are now winless in six Serie A matches and remain one point from safety, but the Italian coach vowed to fight until the end to keep his side in the top flight.

"It is very hard to digest," he said at his post-match news conference. "We will take the good from what we have done so far and must continue.

"It is easy to be frustrated, but inside the pain we have to find some motivation - the season is not over. The fact is that until we are dead we will continue fighting."

Related items

  • Barcelona president Bartomeu admits Braithwaite transfer unfair on Leganes Barcelona president Bartomeu admits Braithwaite transfer unfair on Leganes

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has defended the club's decision to sign Martin Braithwaite but admits Leganes have every right to feel aggrieved by the transfer.

    The LaLiga champions confirmed on Thursday they had signed the striker after triggering an €18million release clause in his contract.

    Barca were granted special dispensation to sign Braithwaite outside of the transfer window after losing Luis Suarez and Ousmane Dembele to long-term injuries.

    LaLiga strugglers Leganes have been blocked from bringing in a replacement forward, however, much to the frustration of the club's general director Martin Ortega.

    Ortega accused the league and the Royal Spanish Football Federation of causing Leganes "irreparable damage" and has asked for the rule to be amended.

    Speaking at Braithwaite's introductory news conference on Thursday, Bartomeu agreed the loophole needs to be looked at.

    "We have paid the clause following the regulations, although we believe that it should be revised because it is not fair that Leganes cannot now sign anyone," he told reporters.

    Barcelona's decision to sign Braithwaite has raised eyebrows, but Bartomeu believes the former Middlesbrough forward can be a big asset for the club this season and beyond.

    "After analysing different players, we chose Martin. We believe it will help us win the two remaining titles," he added.

    "I am very excited about the arrival of a new player and we hope he will help us in a league that we want to win and that is very open. He will give us strength.

    "We had a long-term injured player like Dembele, in addition to Luis Suarez. The technical team has studied players and we hope Braithwaite can debut quickly.

    "He has signed for the next four and a half years and comes to help now and for the future."

    Braithwaite could make his debut when Eibar visit Camp Nou on Saturday, and Barca director Eric Abidal is happy with the new arrival.

    "Martin is a Denmark international, with experience different from those players we have," said Abidal, who dodged questions regarding his recent row with Lionel Messi.

    "He has character, strength, speed and great potential. I have had the opportunity to speak with coaches he has had. He will contribute a lot and be decisive. 

    "Hopefully, we can compete with him at the highest level."

  • Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona

    Gennaro Gattuso has confirmed Napoli could be without key defender Kalidou Koulibaly for next week's Champions League game against Barcelona.

    Injuries have hampered the Senegal international this season and he has only played one Serie A match since the turn of the year.

    Napoli head to Brescia on Friday before hosting Barca four days later in the first leg of their last-16 tie with the LaLiga champions.

    And Gattuso, whose side have won five of their past six games in all competitions, is unsure whether Koulibaly will be available.

    "We'll need to objectively see what he has," Gattuso told reporters on Thursday. "He has swelling, so we need to listen to how he feels. 

    "Right now I have opted, together with the medical staff, to keep him sidelined for seven to 10 days.

    "We will evaluate after that how he feels physically. He will tell us how he feels."

    Napoli's improved form has lifted them to ninth in Serie A but they are 12 points behind fourth-placed Atalanta in the race for Champions League qualification.

    Gattuso is staying focused on the trip to second-bottom Brescia - with Koulibaly not included in the Napoli squad - rather than allowing the looming Barca game to act as a distraction.

    "I haven't heard anyone talk about Barcelona," Gattuso added. "We haven't prepared for Barcelona yet. We have prepared for the match against Brescia. We will think about Barcelona on Saturday after the analysis of the match against Brescia."

    Napoli striker Fernando Llorente will miss the Brescia game due to flu.

  • Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration

    Willian has hinted he will look to find another London-based club to play for if he and Chelsea do not agree to a contract extension, as he is desperate to remain in the English capital for family reasons.

    Brazil winger Willian has been at Chelsea since 2013, when he joined from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, and he has been a first-team regular for most of his time at Stamford Bridge.

    Willian has played in all but one of Chelsea's 26 Premier League games this term, despite becoming a target for criticism from some supporters, with Frank Lampard seemingly trusting of the 31-year-old.

    He claimed in December that contract talks have taken place regarding an extension beyond the end of the season, but with an agreement yet to be confirmed, doubt remains about his future, particularly after Chelsea agreed a deal to bring Ajax's Hakim Ziyech to the club in July.

    While Willian seems set on staying at Chelsea, he is also adamant about a desire to remain in London, potentially offering hope to other clubs in the area should he ultimately depart.

    Writing in a column for The Players' Tribune, Willian said: "I have played for Chelsea for more than six years now, and I can honestly say that I am very happy here.

    "If you ask my wife if she wants to leave London, she'll say no. My daughters feel the same way. Of course, Brazil is Brazil, right? It's our home, our culture. We always feel good when we go there on holiday and see family and friends, but London is my second home.

    "In fact, I recently passed a British citizenship test. Man, it was hard. It's British history in a nutshell. Some questions are so difficult that not even some of my British friends knew the answers!

    "As it turned out, I failed on my first two attempts, but got it on the third. I am now a British citizen!

    "So, London is where I want to stay. This is where I have my family, my church. I want my daughters to grow up here."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.