EPL

Brighton make Mooy deal permanent

By Sports Desk January 24, 2020

Brighton and Hove Albion have confirmed the permanent signing of on-loan midfielder Aaron Mooy.

Mooy has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal at the Amex Stadium for a reported fee of £5million after impressing following on a temporary move from Huddersfield Town.

Brighton head coach Graham Potter has been pleased with the Australia international's integration on the south coast and was eager to keep him at the club.

He said: "We are delighted to have agreed a permanent deal with Aaron and Huddersfield. He’s been an important player for us and will have a key part to play going forward. 

"We knew what Aaron would bring, and he’s proved to be an excellent addition to our squad and a great professional both on and off the pitch.

Related items

  • Giroud delights in 'special day' after scoring on rare Chelsea start Giroud delights in 'special day' after scoring on rare Chelsea start

    Olivier Giroud was delighted to mark his return to the Chelsea XI with a goal and said he was "so happy to help the team" in the victory against Tottenham.

    World Cup winner Giroud was linked with a move away from Chelsea in January but stayed when no replacement was signed, while he had not scored a club goal since August.

    But the veteran striker was handed a rare start on Saturday - just his third in the league this season - and opened the scoring en route to a 2-1 win.

    Marcos Alonso added to Chelsea's advantage before a late Antonio Rudiger own goal, with the Blues holding on to leave Giroud to reflect on a hugely positive day.

    "Wow, yeah, it was a good feeling for me, a good moment," Giroud told BT Sport of his goal. "I'm so happy for the team, to help the team to win this game today.

    "It had been three months I didn't start, so it's a special day for me and for all of us."

    Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta added: "We have a squad and we need to be ready for every game. It's true that, when you don't play, it difficult.

    "Everybody wants to help the team. But everybody keeps training hard, fighting to be in the team.

    "The competition is what gives the team that extra per cent where everybody can push to the limit. Today it worked perfectly."

    Azpilicueta was involved in one of the game's flashpoints as Giovani Lo Celso appeared to stamp on the defender's legs in an awful late challenge.

    He avoided a red card following a VAR review, although the official in charge of the system reportedly later acknowledged Lo Celso should have been sent off.

    "I'm not a player that likes to be on the floor, because I'm a defender, I'm tough, and I make fouls," Azpilicueta said.

    "But it was not a normal foul. It was a clear stamp on my shin. I felt it straight away and I was surprised that it was not a red card and not even a yellow card.

    "Obviously everybody can make mistakes, but when you have a lot of replays, I think it could be easier."

  • Double trouble – Lampard ends Mourinho's proud record Double trouble – Lampard ends Mourinho's proud record

    Frank Lampard guided Chelsea to an unprecedented achievement in Saturday's 2-1 win over Jose Mourinho's Tottenham.

    The Blues became the first side to beat a team managed by Mourinho both home and away in a single league season.

    Olivier Giroud and Marcos Alonso were on target at Stamford Bridge, with Antonio Rudiger's late own goal providing scant consolation for Mourinho as Spurs slipped four points behind their London rivals in the Premier League.

    Chelsea boss Lampard also got one over Mourinho when his Derby County team won at Manchester United in the EFL Cup last season. 

  • Barcelona took my dream away from me for no reason, says Carles Perez Barcelona took my dream away from me for no reason, says Carles Perez

    Carles Perez has hit out at Barcelona for the manner of his exit and suggested his former club no longer have patience to bed in academy players.

    The 22-year-old joined Roma on an initial loan deal in January that will be made permanent at the end of the season if various clauses are triggered.

    And after marking his first start for his new side with the only goal in Thursday's 1-0 Europa League win over Gent, Perez admitted to being hurt by Barca's decision to cash in.

    "Am I in pain? Mostly, because of the way it happened," he told Mundo Deportivo "I think they didn't behave well in the end, but I'm grateful to Barcelona.

    "I'm a guy who has given everything for Barcelona since I was a kid. My dream was to make it to the first team; I achieved that and they took it away from me for no reason. 

    "And especially with the performances I was having. They talk a lot about the academy and in the end, they show the opposite.

    "Anyway, I don't view Barcelona in a bad light; I am grateful, but I don't like the way it was handled. Nothing else."

    As well as offloading Perez to Roma, Barcelona also sent fellow academy product Abel Ruiz to Braga in a deal worth a reported €8million.

    Those sales have been brought into focus following the emergency signing of Martin Braithwaite, which Perez claimed offers further evidence of Barca's priorities shifting.

    "Sometimes you make good decisions and sometimes you don't," he said. "And now they have to make a life for themselves.

    "I think about what Marc Cucurella previously said: at Barcelona, you always want to win but don't have the patience with academy products anymore."

    Perez made 14 first-team appearances for Barcelona, including five LaLiga starts this term, and has not ruled out the possibility of returning to Camp Nou one day.

    "I haven't thought about that since I left," he said. "Barcelona is the past and I am focused on Roma, although I don't know what will happen in the future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.