Nantes reveal kit tribute to Emiliano Sala

By Sports Desk January 21, 2020

Nantes have revealed a one-off Argentina-inspired kit they will wear in Sunday's Ligue 1 meeting with Bordeaux in memory of former striker Emiliano Sala.

Sala, along with pilot David Ibbotson, went missing on January 21 last year when their plane crashed over the English Channel a few days after his move to Cardiff City from Nantes had been confirmed.

The body of Argentina native Sala was later discovered and a report released by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) in August said he had clearly been exposed to the poisonous gas carbon monoxide. Ibbotson has not been found.

Nantes marked the anniversary of the incident by confirming the creation of a special strip in tribute to their former striker, with the kit set to be worn on Sunday against Bordeaux, Sala's first club in France.

Combattant et généreux, tu rêvais et méritais le maillot de l'Albiceleste. L’intégralité des bénéfices liés aux ventes de ce maillot sera allouée aux deux clubs formateurs argentins d’Emiliano.

 https://t.co/J9oVerGK5p pic.twitter.com/EMgEhTWTSe

— FC Nantes (@FCNantes) January 21, 2020

Profits from the jerseys will be donated to the two Argentinian clubs Sala played for as a child, Nantes said.

A statement read: "Because he dreamed of wearing the jersey of the Argentina national team, the players of Nantes will give up their traditional yellow and green jersey for a blue and white kit.

"This jersey, from which the entire sales profits will be allocated to the two Argentinian training clubs of Emiliano, is a way of paying homage to him."

Nantes also announced several other tributes to Sala will take place on Sunday, including a minute's applause and a "giant tifo".

Related items

  • Areola returns to PSG from Madrid amid Premier League rumours Areola returns to PSG from Madrid amid Premier League rumours

    Alphonse Areola has returned to Paris Saint-Germain from Real Madrid amid reports he is set for a Premier League move.

    The goalkeeper joined Los Blancos on a season-long loan last September to provide cover for number one Thibaut Courtois, with Keylor Navas having moved in the opposite direction in a permanent deal.

    Areola made just nine appearances for LaLiga's champions, though, and the Frenchman has been tipped to move on again with game time unlikely at PSG.

    "Real Madrid confirmed they have brought Alphonse Areola's loan spell to an end," a team statement read.

    "The club would like to thank Areola for his dedication, professionalism and exemplary conduct this season and wishes him the best of luck in this new chapter.

    "Real Madrid also thanks PSG for the chance to have had Alphonse Areola as part of our squad."

    Reports in the English media said 27-year-old Areola has bought a house in London ahead of a potential move to the Premier League.

    Chelsea have been credited with an interest as the Blues appear keen to find a buyer for Kepa Arrizabalaga.

    Arsenal were also touted as a potential destination to provide extra cover after Emiliano Martinez deputised when Bernd Leno sustained a knee injury in June, although the Argentinian's brilliant performances mean such a scenario may be unlikely.

  • Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest

    Ciro Immobile is ready to welcome David Silva to Lazio with open arms and revealed an approach from Newcastle United, who he claimed wanted to hire Massimiliano Allegri or Luciano Spalletti. 

    Manchester City great Silva is to depart the Premier League club after a 10-year association upon the completion of their Champions League campaign, which continues with a quarter-final tie against Lyon on Saturday. 

    Reports in Italy suggest the Spanish playmaker's move to Rome is practically done, with Lazio offering him a three-year contract to move to Serie A. 

    Lazio striker Immobile is excited at the prospect of linking up with the 2010 World Cup winner.  

    "He's a great player and has great experience, we are waiting for him with open arms," Immobile said in an extensive interview with Corriere dello Sport. 

    "I can't wait for him to arrive, we are Lazio fans before Lazio players." 

    Immobile is coming off a sublime individual campaign in which his 36 Serie A goals matched the competition record set by Gonzalo Higuain, who achieved the feat in the 2015-16 campaign. 

    The Italy striker says he is now ready to finish his career at Lazio amid the possibility of a contract extension at the club. 

    "I'm waiting for them to call me. I intend to tie myself to Lazio forever. What Lazio has given me and is giving me is priceless," Immobile added. 

    "The renewal will be three years, so the contract will expire in 2025, when I turn 35." 

    While Immobile has no plans to depart, he revealed there was interest in taking him to Newcastle amid a potential takeover at the Premier League club. 

    The Magpies were the subject of a proposed £300million purchase, led by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, but the bid was withdrawn due to what was described by the potential new owners as “an unforeseen prolonged process”. 

    Immobile also stated Newcastle wanted to bring in an Italian coach, with ex-Juve boss Allegri among consideration. 

    "During the period in which there was talk of the possible acquisition of Newcastle by a sheikh fund, they called my agent Alessandro Moggi," Immobile said.  

    "Then the Premier did not pass the proposal, the fund was withdrawn. I know they were also looking for an Italian coach, Allegri or Spalletti."

  • Sturridge wants Premier League return: I have unfinished business Sturridge wants Premier League return: I have unfinished business

    Daniel Sturridge has "unfinished business" in the Premier League and is desperate to return to England's top flight. 

    The 30-year-old is without a club having left Trabzonspor in March, as he was unable to play for them due to a four-month ban for breaching the Football Association's betting regulations. 

    Ex-Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City striker Sturridge has scored 76 goals in 218 Premier League appearances and, although he remains open to playing in other countries, is looking to find a home in England again. 

    "We have options around the world but I'm an English player and I've always loved playing in the Premier League," Sturridge told Sky Sports. 

    "I believe I've got a lot to give to the Premier League and I would say that's my first choice. I do feel I have unfinished business so I would like to go back and play there. 

    "I'm open to playing in other leagues, it's not just the Premier League I'm going to consider, but to come back to England and give my best would be a huge option for me. 

    "I'm very excited, I'm hungrier than ever and I'm totally focused on the next chapter."

    Sturridge has been keeping fit at his Los Angeles base and believes his status as a free agent makes him an attractive proposition for any potential suitors.

    "I'd like to think I'm one of the better options for teams," he added.

    "I'm a free agent and I've played for a lot of top clubs around the world. I'm just ready to help a team be successful and to be a big part of their plans.

    "I believe there's a lot left in these legs. Although I've been around a long time, I would say that there's miles on the clock but this vehicle has a lot left."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.