EPL

Mourinho scotches talk of Rose row

By Sports Desk January 21, 2020

Jose Mourinho says he has no problem with Danny Rose following reports they clashed at Tottenham's training ground.

Head coach Mourinho left the England full-back out of his team to play Watford on Saturday, preferring 20-year-old Japhet Tanganga.

However, Mourinho stressed the decision was the result of information provided to him late on Thursday evening by Tottenham's medical staff, who reported Rose had complained of a back problem.

"My relationship with my players is good. I love to work with my group, and that's it," Mourinho told reporters in a news conference on Tuesday. "No [disagreement] between me and Danny."

The Daily Mail reported there was a 'heated exchange' between the two on Friday when the former Manchester United and Real Madrid boss named his side to face Watford, with Rose absent from the 18-man list.

"I don't know what you mean by tension in the air. I don't have any problem with him," Mourinho said, when asked about those claims.

"His performance against Liverpool was not phenomenal. And then the Thursday before Watford, Thursday late evening, I got a call from my medical staff saying that Danny was calling them with a problem in his back and he wouldn't train the next day - so Friday, the day before the game.

"It was a bit of a surprise that on the Friday he was ready to train, so it wasn't a big problem. I receive a written report every day from my medical department, and in this case because it was too late, it was 9/10pm so it was a telephone call.

"My medical department knows that for my preparation of the next training session it's very important for me to know which players are fit."

Norwich are the visitors to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday, and Mourinho confirmed Rose is fit and available for that game.

Midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is also set to feature, having not been used since the New Year's Day defeat at Southampton.

Injuries have troubled the former Lyon player, but Mourinho expects him to play some part against the relegation-threatened Canaries.

"When you look at when he played, he offers us something we need," Mourinho said. "Last week he worked one-on-one with a fitness coach to bring his level up before joining the group. Hopefully he can give us something tomorrow."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles

    Manchester United's problems in the transfer window have reportedly continued as they target Federico Chiesa and Alex Telles.

    The Premier League giants have had a tough window so far, with only Donny van de Beek arriving from Ajax.

    That is their only inclusion despite links to the likes of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and Telles, and their progress is still seemingly slow ahead of the window closing on Monday.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD'S CHIESA BID REJECTED, SNUBBED OVER TELLES

    Manchester United had a loan enquiry for Fiorentina attacker Chiesa turned down, according to The Telegraph.

    As they struggle to land a deal for Sancho, United have been linked with Chiesa and Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.

    Chiesa, a 22-year-old Italy international, has made a fine start to this season, scoring once and providing an assist in two Serie A games.

    United seemed closer to bringing in Telles, but O Jogo reports Porto did not even respond to their first bid for the left-back – believed to be around £11.8million (€13m) – as the Portuguese giants see it as unrealistic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - After Luis Suarez's arrival at Atletico Madrid, Diego Costa is linked with a move away. AS reports Paris Saint-Germain are considering a move for the forward, and it adds Atletico could look to replace him with free agent Edinson Cavani.

    - Manchester City's transfer business in this window could be done. The Sun reports any plans for the Premier League side to bring in a left-back – either Bayern Munich's David Alaba or Ajax's Nicolas Tagliafico – are reliant on a late bid being received for Oleksandr Zinchenko.

    - Are Bayern Munich looking for a back-up for star Robert Lewandowski? Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sign Hoffenheim forward Andrej Kramaric. The Croatia international scored twice against Bayern in the Bundesliga on Saturday and is up to seven goals in three games in 2020-21.

    - Tottenham are reportedly looking at Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius. Football.London says Spurs are hoping to loan the striker with an option to buy for £36.3m (€40m). Carlos Vinicius scored 24 goals in 47 games in all competitions last season.

    - Staying at Spurs and Sky Sports reports Celtic have made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon. However, it says finances are problematic, while multiple Premier League clubs are also keeping an eye on Sessegnon.

    - Andreas Pereira is set to leave Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports a deal between United and Lazio has been signed for a loan with option to buy for €27m (£24.5m).

  • LA Galaxy's former Liverpool full-back Insua eyeing MLS glory LA Galaxy's former Liverpool full-back Insua eyeing MLS glory

    Former Liverpool full-back Emiliano Insua hopes LA Galaxy can end their MLS title drought this season.

    The Galaxy are the most successful club in MLS history with five trophies from nine finals appearances, though they have not tasted glory since 2014.

    Last season saw the Galaxy reach the Western Conference semi-finals thanks to Zlatan Ibrahimovic's 31 goals, though the ex-Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain striker has since departed for Milan.

    Guillermo Barros Schelotto's Galaxy are 11th in the 12-team Western Conference, with 15 points from 13 games – three points behind eighth-placed Real Salt Lake, who occupy the final qualifying spot amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    After leaving Bundesliga outfit Stuttgart at the start of the MLS season, Insua was asked if he was confident of the Galaxy ending their six-year wait and the 31-year-old told Stats Perform News: "Hopefully.

    "The MLS is a tournament that you can start not so well but little by little, you can grow and at the end you can get the trophy.

    "We have to try to reach the playoffs as soon as possible because at the moment we are very inconsistent. We won four in a row but after that, now we aren't in a good moment. But of course we will come back and be sure that we are in the playoffs. Then, it's about one game and we have to be ready for the moment."

    Insua, who spent four years at Premier League powerhouse Liverpool between 2007 and 2011, ended his five-year association with Stuttgart as he swapped Germany for California in 2020.

    "I'm enjoying it a lot. This year of course has been special for everyone," said the five-time Argentina international, who has teamed up with ex-United and Real Madrid forward Javier Hernandez at the Galaxy.

    "But since the beginning I feel really good here in the club, with the staff and players. Now, I'm enjoying more because we are playing.

    "Little by little, I'm feeling better and better and I'm trying to help my club and team-mates grow so we can be successful this year."

    Insua, responding to the arrival of countryman Gonzalo Higuain at David Beckham's MLS rivals Inter Miami from Serie A champions Juventus, added: "It's a tournament where you can see every team can beat everyone. Every club have a budget to spend and almost the same money, so the league is really stable.

    "In other leagues, you have teams who are ahead of the others and it's difficult to play against them. But here it's good in this way.

    "We are a big team, we have to show this every game. Every team when they come here want to show us that they are playing against the big team. Every game is difficult."

  • Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas claims three major clubs are interested in signing star midfielder Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have emerged as favourites to prise Aouar from Lyon, though the Premier League club are yet to agree a fee as the Ligue 1 side hold out for £55million (€60m).

    French outlet Telefoot reported on Friday that Aouar has agreed personal terms with Arsenal, who are reportedly willing to pay £36m (€40m) for the 22-year-old.

    Aouar, however, has also been linked to the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain following Lyon's memorable run to the 2019-20 Champions League semi-final.

    "Things haven't really advanced. We know that three major clubs – two in the short term and one in the medium term – are interested in Houssem," Aulas told reporters on Wednesday when asked about Aouar following the arrival of Lucas Paqueta from Milan.

    "They are some of the biggest clubs. They have all been in the Champions League and have performed well. Talks are difficult. The clubs are not able to provide us with financial commitments.

    "Some, like I have said with Barcelona, are in great difficulty. That is the difficulty. We are all working, night and day."

    Lyon have struggled for form since kicking off their 2020-21 season, managing just one win from five games in Ligue 1.

    Rudi Garcia's Lyon are 11th in the table, seven points behind unbeaten leaders Rennes.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.