EPL

Lacazette right to say Arsenal should be nastier, says Arteta

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Mikel Arteta agrees with Alexandre Lacazette's assessment that Arsenal need to be a nastier team ahead of a must-win encounter against Chelsea.

A 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield United on Saturday left the Gunners 10 points adrift of the top four and Lacazette urged his team-mates to become "nastier", branding the team "naive".

Ahead of Tuesday's key Premier League contest away to rivals Chelsea, head coach Arteta was asked if he agreed with the striker.

"Yes, I think it's part of the game management," he said of Lacazette's comments at his pre-match news conference.

"I think there were things we could have done better to put more pressure on the opponent, to bring the ball into certain areas where we could rest with the ball and control the game better. 

"That will come. It's a good process for us to learn about those situations."

Arteta, whose side lost 2-1 to Chelsea at Emirates Stadium last month, agreed Arsenal needed a victory to keep their top-four hopes alive, adding: "It's very important if we want to have the aim to fight for that. 

"The game at home could have made a big difference as well and we were very close to it, so Tuesday, we need a win."

The 37-year-old insisted his players were buying into his methods as he responded to a question asking if it was proving difficult to convince the squad about progress while results remained disappointing, Arsenal having won just two of his first six games in charge.

Arteta said: "I don't have that feeling. The feedback I'm getting from them is very positive, they know when we haven't won the reasons why and there are many different aspects to that.

"Some aspects we can influence, some we cannot influence, but they are there, and they are very aware of that.

"A lot of things have happened, and it feels longer than a month to be fair. The amount of games, the amount we've trained, the amount of things that happened. 

"Yes, a lot of things changed, a lot of positives in terms of reactions and the things they are taking on board, the way we have managed to change the energy, atmosphere, relationship and chemistry with our fans was massively important for us. 

"So yes, in terms of results it could have been a little bit different. I think we have been very unlucky and other aspects have influenced that."

Related items

  • Diogo Jota moving to 'the right place' in Liverpool - Nuno Diogo Jota moving to 'the right place' in Liverpool - Nuno

    Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo confirmed Diogo Jota is joining Liverpool as he said the Portugal international was going to "the right place".

    The Reds signed Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara on Friday and their transfer business has not stopped there, with reports suggesting Liverpool have agreed a deal worth up to £45million to acquire Jota.

    Speaking on Saturday, Nuno confirmed the 23-year-old would be leaving Molineux, while teenage defender Ki-Jana Hoever will move in the opposite direction.

    Jota was left out of Wolves' squad for the EFL Cup defeat to Stoke City on Thursday, and Nuno explained it was due to his expected transfer.

    "First, I want to apologise for Thursday, sometimes you have to keep things private," he told reporters ahead of Monday's Premier League clash with Manchester City.

    "Diogo is amazing - everyone knows that - and the three seasons at Wolves, what he did for us was fantastic.

    "Things happen when naturally they should happen. He's going to the right place. He'll never be forgotten by our fans."

    Ex-Atletico Madrid man Jota has made 131 appearances for Wolves, scoring 44 times, and he netted two hat-tricks in last season's Europa League campaign.

    Dutch youngster Hoever has only played in four games for Liverpool - all in domestic cup competitions.

    "Ki will join us," Nuno added.

    "He's a young player who has potential and talent. It's up to us to get the best out of him.

    "Ki is not eligible for Monday. He'll join us tomorrow, we'll integrate him. It's a small squad, he can give us good options.

    "I'm really looking forward to working with him, but the squad is not closed and we need to work on that."

  • Zidane: I have no problems with spectacular Bale Zidane: I have no problems with spectacular Bale

    Gareth Bale's return to Tottenham is yet to be finalised, according to Zinedine Zidane, who hailed the Wales international's "spectacular" contribution to Real Madrid.

    Bale's loan move to Tottenham, who he left to join Madrid in 2013, is expected to be confirmed after he flew to London on Friday and was seen entering the Premier League club's training ground.

    The 31-year-old was an increasingly marginalised figure under Zidane as Madrid won LaLiga last season, cutting quite the contrast to his goalscoring turns in the 2014 and 2018 Champions League finals.

    An apparent breakdown in relations with his coach has been accepted as the main reason for Bale seeking an exit from the Spanish capital but, speaking ahead of the start of his side's LaLiga defence at Real Sociedad, Zidane insisted there was no personality clash.

    "I'm not annoyed that people are blaming me for his departure because it's not like that," the France great told a Saturday news conference.

    "The matter is more complicated than that. What I can say is that we didn't have any problems between us.

    "No one is going to take away what he's done at Real Madrid. We didn't have any problems, it wasn't like that.

    "I wish him the best. I haven't spoken to him. What he's done here has been phenomenal - you can't dispute that because he's won a lot and shown his quality."

    The lack of confirmation of Bale's signing has caused a measure of anxiety among the Tottenham fanbase and Zidane suggested there are still some details to be ironed out.

    "For now, Bale is one of our players," he said "The matter still has to be finalised.

    "We're not going to talk about things that don't make sense. Bale has been spectacular."

    Sergio Regulion is another player set to move from Madrid to Spurs, having travelled alongside Bale.

    The left-back's impressive season on loan with Europa League winners Sevilla was not enough to earn another chance at the Santiago Bernabeu, despite a poll run by newspaper Marca revealing 70 per cent of fans wanted him to stay.

    "The first thing I have to do is congratulate him on last season," Zidane said.

    "We have two players for each position - no more. I have two left-backs and I can't have more because then it's a lot.

    "I wish him the best because he had a good season at Sevilla."

  • Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice

    Kylian Mbappe is available to play for Paris Saint-Germain against Nice on Sunday, Thomas Tuchel has confirmed.

    Mbappe has yet to play for PSG in the 2020-21 season after testing positive for coronavirus while on international duty with France.

    However, Tuchel said both Ligue 1 and the club doctor have given clearance for Mbappe to make his first appearance for the club since the Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

    "We need to talk with Kylian. The doctor and the league told us it's possible," he said.

    "I don't know if he can play. We have to wait. He's in the squad. We'll see if he can play.

    "It's between me and Kylian. We're going to talk after practice. I have to see if he's feeling okay and we'll decide if he starts or ends the game."

    PSG will be without defender Juan Bernat for much of the season after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the 1-0 win over Dijon, which marked their first victory of the new campaign.

    However, Tuchel is not looking to purchase a replacement, adding: "Bernat is a key player but we have [Layvin] Kurzawa, [Mitchel] Bakker and [Abdou] Diallo. It is not the priority to buy a player for this position."

    Tuchel is eyeing reinforcements in the transfer window, however, with Thiago Silva having joined Chelsea and Edinson Cavani also leaving the club.

    "It is always the objective to have a group ready to start a championship," said Tuchel. "The priority is clear, we need a striker, a central defender and a midfielder. We must replace the players we lost."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.