Busquets won't criticise Valverde as Setien starts in style

By Sports Desk January 19, 2020

Sergio Busquets refused to compare Barcelona under Ernesto Valverde and Quique Setien after the Catalans made a winning start to life under their new head coach.

Barca returned to the top of LaLiga with a 1-0 win over a dogged Granada at Camp Nou on Sunday.

The home side enjoyed nearly 83 per cent of the possession but could not break down their visitors until Lionel Messi struck 76 minutes in after German Sanchez had been sent off.

Setien's variation of a 3-4-3 saw Barca monopolise the ball and push high up the pitch, a style more in keeping with the methods of Johan Cruyff and Pep Guardiola than Valverde, who was sacked this month after losing to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana.

Busquets was pleased with their display but would not enter into comparisons between the methods of Setien and Valverde, who eventually lost the faith of the fans and the board due to his more cautious approach.

"We were a solid team. We had control of the ball. They created little against us," he told Movistar.

"It's true that we struggled when they dropped deep but, in general terms, the team played a good game.

"It's not about comparing. Every coach has his style and his way of seeing football. You'll see what Setien asks us to do. We're not going to reveal it.

"We're delighted with what Ernesto did and we're delighted with Setien."

Setien also earned a cheer from the Camp Nou crowd for bringing on Masia graduate Riqui Puig, who found chances hard to come by under Valverde.

The 20-year-old won back possession on the edge of the Granada box in the build-up to the goal, and Busquets hopes it is just the start for the midfielder.

"He has a lot of things to mature, but it looks like he can be here [to boost the team]," Busquets added.

Barca are level with Real Madrid on 43 points at the top of the table after 20 games, with Atletico Madrid and Sevilla eight points adrift.

Related items

  • Costa and Suarez can start together, says Simeone after stunning six-goal start Costa and Suarez can start together, says Simeone after stunning six-goal start

    Diego Simeone is confident new signing Luis Suarez and Diego Costa can thrive together in the same team.

    Atletico made a spectacular start to LaLiga on Sunday, thrashing Granada 6-1 at home with substitute Suarez scoring twice and adding an assist after replacing Costa with 19 minutes remaining.

    Club president Enrique Cerezo insisted this week that Costa was a player Atletico needed to keep despite the arrival of Suarez from Barcelona.

    And Simeone had no qualms with that as he spoke ahead of Wednesday's away match against Huesca.

    "Costa and Suarez can start or they can play during the game, together and separately," Simeone said.

    "Of course they can play together, but you have to see when and in what situation. The important thing is that both of them give us all the fire they have.

    "Both Diego with his personality and Luis with his status in the game are very important players. We will see who starts on Wednesday.

    "When the president speaks, everyone is behind him. I agree with what the president said [about Costa].

    "[Suarez has shown] absolute humility, despite the experience he brings. He wants to start showing how important he can be for the team on the pitch and in the day-to-day work for the group."

    Asked if Suarez's Uruguay team-mate Edinson Cavani would also be joining his attacking options, Simeone said: "I am not talking about the players we do not have on the squad and who cannot help us against Huesca, which is the important thing. 

    "Everyone knows Cavani, but we only care about the players who can lead us to the goals we set ourselves every year."

    The emphatic start has seen Ateltico heavily praised and billed as title contenders in the media, with Joao Felix also among their group of star-studded forwards.

    "I do not stop for criticism or flattery," added Simeone. "They are part of the opinion that journalism needs to convey about what it sees and their work must be respected. 

    "We have to go game by game. Our opponents played very good games against Villarreal and Valencia so it will be a difficult game on a pitch where they need to be strong."

  • Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns

    Hansi Flick suggested Michael Cuisance and Javi Martinez could yet stay at Bayern Munich as he made it clear he wants a strong squad for 2020-21.

    Cuisance has been linked with Leeds United, having started only three games in the Bundesliga since joining from Borussia Monchengladbach last year.

    Martinez, 32, has been tipped to move back to Athletic Bilbao following eight hugely successful years in Germany.

    However, head coach Flick appears happy to keep both players in his plans in order to give Bayern the best chance possible of competing on all fronts again this season.

    They have brought in Alexander Nubel, teenager Tanguy Nianzou and Germany star Leroy Sane in the transfer window, but the latter will be out until after the next international break with a knee injury.

    With David Alaba also struggling and the fixture list piling up – Bayern face Borussia Dortmund in the DFL-Supercup on Wednesday and Hertha Berlin in the league on Sunday – Flick wants as many options as possible.

    "We last saw each other yesterday. We have no new information since Thursday. As long as he's in my team, I'll plan with him as well. Javi has done a lot for the club," he told reporters of Martinez on Tuesday.

    "Both [Cuisance and Martinez] trained today, so I assume both will be in the squad tomorrow. We all know that, shortly before the transfer window closes, the situation is not easy.

    "Hasan [Salihamidzic, sporting director] and I agree: the new season will not only be difficult for Bayern. We have until October 5. For now, the fact is that Mika and Javi are still in the squad. They are part of our team.

    "One thing is also clear: we want to win trophies and games. The fact we lost to Hoffenheim is very far from my thoughts. But if we want to achieve objectives, we have to have a squad available.

    "On October 15, we play in the DFB-Pokal; on October 17, we play in the Bundesliga. Before that, there are international matches. I didn't create those dates – you have to think about whether that makes sense."

  • Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return

    Eden Hazard is "very close" to a return to full fitness as Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane refuted suggestions the forward lacked professionalism. 

    The Belgium star has struggled to find his rhythm in Spain following his initial €100million switch from Chelsea in June last year.

    He managed a solitary goal in his debut season at the Santiago Bernabeu as he battled to regain top condition after undergoing surgery on a broken right foot.

    Zidane hinted that Hazard is primed for action for the first time this season, though stopped short of confirming his spot in the team for Wednesday's clash with Real Valladolid.

    "I think he's very close to a return," said Zidane. "He is prepared and training well with the team.

    "The issue is that he hasn't been able to train much until now, but now he is back training regularly. So, we'll see what happens.

    "What he wants is to play. He had a big problem that caused him issues for a long time, but now it seems like he is fine.

    "The season is very long and he is a professional. He does not lack professionalism. What he wants is to be with his team-mates and to play."

    Asked if he was looking to add to his squad in what remains of the transfer window, Zidane pointed out the difficulties he already faces in picking the LaLiga champions' strongest XI.

    Vinicius Junior is one player who is having to contend with being on the periphery, although Zidane insists he is content with the winger.

    "I'm very happy with the squad that I have," he said. "Adding more players would not be ideal.

    "I'm already struggling to choose between the players that I have. I have the best squad.

    "I'm very happy with Vinicius. He wants to play like every player, I pick my starting line-up every match, and of course I count on Vinicius, he is a great player."

    Zidane's side responded to their opening-game draw with Real Sociedad by winning 3-2 at Real Betis last time out. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.