EPL

Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over

By Sports Desk January 19, 2020

Virgil van Dijk said the memory of losing the Premier League title race to Manchester City in 2018-19 is keeping Liverpool grounded after his side's 2-0 victory over Manchester United at Anfield.

The Netherlands international scored his side's opener after 14 minutes of a game that threatened to slip through their fingers when the visitors finished strongly, but Mohamed Salah doubled Liverpool's lead in second-half stoppage time to put the Reds 16 points clear at the top of the table.

Chants of "we're going to win the league" rang out around Anfield at the final whistle but Van Dijk insisted the team's focus would immediately be on a difficult trip to Wolves on Thursday.

"Everyone wants us to say something about it but we won't get carried away," Van Dijk told Sky Sports. "We in the squad cannot and we won't.

"I think what we experienced last year is something that made our mentality like this. We just want to go one game at a time, trying to stay fit and improve. Even after today, which was a well-deserved, fantastic win.

"We all know how difficult Wolves is, what good tactics they have, the players they have, the manager is fantastic there. What we try to do is prepare very well, make sure we all recover from this, be 100 per cent.

"We all expect it to be a very tough game. It makes it easy to prepare if you know it's going to be tough and you know there will be difficult moments."

Van Dijk disagreed with the VAR ruling that judged him to have fouled David de Gea in the 25th minute as Liverpool had a Roberto Firmino goal ruled out.

But the Reds, by Van Dijk's own admission, had enough opportunities to put the game out of United's reach before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men caused nervous moments as they probed for a late equaliser.

"I think I didn't jump with my hands up," said Van Dijk, explaining his challenge on De Gea.

"It's difficult to say but if the VAR gives it you just have to accept it and carry on. I thought it was no foul.

"We had plenty more opportunities to score goals today and make it look easy. We had two, three, maybe four clear cut chances to make it easy but you have to find a way and we did."

Related items

  • Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice

    Kylian Mbappe is available to play for Paris Saint-Germain against Nice on Sunday, Thomas Tuchel has confirmed.

    Mbappe has yet to play for PSG in the 2020-21 season after testing positive for coronavirus while on international duty with France.

    However, Tuchel said both Ligue 1 and the club doctor have given clearance for Mbappe to make his first appearance for the club since the Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

    "We need to talk with Kylian. The doctor and the league told us it's possible," he said.

    "I don't know if he can play. We have to wait. He's in the squad. We'll see if he can play.

    "It's between me and Kylian. We're going to talk after practice. I have to see if he's feeling okay and we'll decide if he starts or ends the game."

    PSG will be without defender Juan Bernat for much of the season after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the 1-0 win over Dijon, which marked their first victory of the new campaign.

    However, Tuchel is not looking to purchase a replacement, adding: "Bernat is a key player but we have [Layvin] Kurzawa, [Mitchel] Bakker and [Abdou] Diallo. It is not the priority to buy a player for this position."

    Tuchel is eyeing reinforcements in the transfer window, however, with Thiago Silva having joined Chelsea and Edinson Cavani also leaving the club.

    "It is always the objective to have a group ready to start a championship," said Tuchel. "The priority is clear, we need a striker, a central defender and a midfielder. We must replace the players we lost."

     

  • Fati back for Gamper Trophy as Koeman leaves out Suarez & Vidal once more Fati back for Gamper Trophy as Koeman leaves out Suarez & Vidal once more

    Ansu Fati is back in the Barcelona squad for the Joan Gamper Trophy match against Elche on Saturday but there is no place once more for Luis Suarez.

    Fati sustained a hip injury during training and sat out the 3-1 friendly win over Girona in midweek but returns to bolster Ronald Koeman's attacking options.

    Suarez is not among those, even as speculation over his future continues to shift.

    Juventus are reported to have withdrawn their interest in the 33-year-old Uruguay international, with Atletico Madrid emerging as contenders for his signature.

    Inter Milan target Arturo Vidal is also not involved and there is no place in the 23-man squad for Riqui Puig.

    The 21-year-old made his first-team breakthrough last season but he is another player rumoured not to be part of Koeman's plans at Camp Nou.

    Lionel Messi returned and scored against Girona following his attempts to leave Barca earlier in the transfer window.

  • Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon

    Aston Villa have signed Lyon forward Bertrand Traore for an undisclosed fee, thought to be worth in the region of £19million (€20.5m).

    The 25-year-old has agreed a long-term contract at Villa Park and his move is subject to international clearance.

    "We're delighted that Bertrand has chosen to come to Villa," manager Dean Smith told his club's official website ahead of their Premier League opener against Sheffield United on Monday.

    "He's a player with immense talent who will really enhance our attacking options."

    Traore cited the presence of Smith's assistant John Terry, with whom he shared a dressing room at Chelsea, as a factor in the transfer, while he also counts Villa duo Marvelous Nakamba and Anwar El Ghazi as former team-mates from his time in the Eredivisie.

    "I played with JT at Chelsea, I spoke to him," he told Villa TV

    “I spoke to the manager, spoke with the sporting director as well and some players I used to play with – Nakamba and El Ghazi.

    “I spoke to Nakamba, I talked to him a little bit about the club. Many things made me take the decision to come here. I'm happy."

    Traore joined Chelsea as a teenager and enjoyed loan stints at Vitesse and Ajax before joining Lyon for an initial €10m in 2017.

    He scored 33 goals in 126 appearances for last season's Champions League semi-finalists but insists he always wanted another crack at England's top flight.

    "I always wanted to come back to the Premier League," he added. "I had to follow my own way as well and gain some more experience.

    "I think it is the right time to come back.I think I'm coming back as a better player, with more experience."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.