EPL

Solskjaer confirms stress fracture for Rashford

By Sports Desk January 19, 2020

Marcus Rashford has suffered a double stress fracture in his back and faces at least six weeks out, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed.

England international Rashford hobbled out of the midweek FA Cup win against Wolves, having come on as a substitute.

Solskjaer revealed after the match his striker had already been dealing with a back problem, although he was initially hopeful Rashford would play against Liverpool on Sunday.

Rashford missed the 2-0 defeat and is now facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines, dealing a blow to both fifth-placed United, as their topscorer, and England ahead of Euro 2020.

"He's suffered a bad injury," Solskjaer told Sky Sports after the loss at Anfield.

"It's a stress fracture that happened against Wolverhampton, and it's not something that has happened before. It was there and then.

"It's unlucky for Marcus. He'll be out for a while for us. He won't be back until after the mid-season break [in mid-February].

"I don't know how long it is - I'm not a doctor - but normally a stress fracture is six weeks to heal and then he needs some rehab after that probably."

Solskjaer acknowledged United may now have to consider a loan move to bring in cover for Rashford, who has 14 Premier League goals to his name.

"We've had many, many injuries for big players for us this season," he said.

"Now Marcus, Anthony [Martial] has been out for months, Paul [Pogba] has been out for more than half the season, Scott [McTominay] has been out for months. It's just an unfortunate situation we're in.

"Because the window is open, we might look at some short-term deals as well. That could take us through until the summer.

"Desperately [need a signing]? Not desperately. Of course, we're looking at numbers as well. We've had many injuries.

"If the right one's there and it fits for us, we can buy. If there's loans available, it might be possible. But I've got players here as well who are chomping at the bit."

Related items

  • Owen Farrell insists pumped-up England paid no attention to outside pressure Owen Farrell insists pumped-up England paid no attention to outside pressure

    Owen Farrell insists England's rip-roaring start in their Six Nations win over Ireland was not a response to any outside pressure.

    England began their campaign with a poor showing in a defeat against France in Paris before grinding out a victory over Scotland amid tough Edinburgh conditions in round two.

    Back at Twickenham against an Ireland side who had started with two wins from two, England earned a deserved 24-12 triumph over a visiting team coached by Farrell's father Andy.

    Eddie Jones' men had come under scrutiny following a mixed start, while the head coach was initially questioned and subsequently vindicated for his decision to move centre Jonathan Joseph to the wing and continue with flanker Tom Curry at number eight.

    "It's pressure from everybody else, not us," England captain Farrell said when asked about the outside voices.

    "We're unbelievably happy with how things are in-house. We feel we are getting better and couldn't wait to play this game.

    "I think you saw that from the way we started the game. It's nothing to do with anyone on the outside. We are giving ourselves lots of confidence to rip in come kick-off."

    England were boosted by the return of powerhouse centre Manu Tuilagi, a player Farrell feels would make a difference to any team in world rugby.

    "You don't need me to tell you [how important he is]," Farrell added.

    "Any team in the world would want him by your side, we're lucky to have him. He's playing brilliant rugby."

    England led 17-0 at the break with George Ford and Elliot Daly the beneficiaries of some shoddy Ireland defending, while Luke Cowan-Dickie touched down from an England drive in the second half.

    Part of England's success owed to their dominance of the forwards, with the returning Courtney Lawes earning the man-of-the-match award.

    "We knew Ireland were on good form and we came out flying, we put an emphasis on that all week. It was great to get out here with the boys," Lawes said.

    "Any chance I get to put on the shirt, especially at my old age, I relish it. We just want to keep building, the goal is to be the best team the world has ever seen."

  • Ireland coach Farrell takes blame after England loss Ireland coach Farrell takes blame after England loss

    Andy Farrell shouldered the burden of blame for Ireland's Six Nations loss to England as his side were outplayed at Twickenham on Sunday. 

    Ireland's hopes of a Grand Slam, following back-to-back wins over Scotland and Wales, were dashed as Eddie Jones' men ran out deserved 24-12 winners.

    The visitors were up against it from the moment George Ford capitalised on Johnny Sexton's error to score the opening try after seven minutes, with the Ireland fly-half enduring a rare off-day.

    Sexton's error-strewn display, which included two woefully miscued penalty attempts, summed up Ireland's afternoon as Farrell's charges came up well short.

    "Disappointing. I think the scoreline flattered us a little bit," Farrell told BBC Sport after seeing Andrew Porter's last-gasp converted score narrow the gap.

    "We started firing a few shots when the game was over and that's not what we want to do.

    "I think it was a knock-on effect of cumulative errors. The opposition had something to do with it obviously, they played really well.

    "They played like a side that was desperate to stay in the competition, so fair play to England for that. But we'll look at ourselves for the reasons we allowed them to play the game they wanted to play.

    "First and foremost, I look at myself. Why were England up for it, winning the physical edge? That's down to myself.

    "The reality is the last try at the end allows the points difference not to be too bad and we're in the competition.

    "We go into the Italy game knowing what we've got to do. If we perform like we want to in that game we'll take it to the last weekend."

    A strangely out of sorts Sexton admitted Ireland had nowhere to hide after a lacklustre showing.

    "We gave a very good team two tries from our mistakes, not covering the chip kick, and then we didn't take our chances," he said.

    "We were getting the ball on the back foot, trying to get to the edges and we couldn't, looked a bit silly at times.

    "We still have a big home game against Italy and if we can do that we still have a championship to play for.

    "We need to be a bit better, not play in certain areas of the field when we are going backwards."

  • Ajax sign Ziyech replacement Antony in €21.75m deal Ajax sign Ziyech replacement Antony in €21.75m deal

    Ajax have confirmed the signing of Antony from Sao Paulo in a €21.75million deal.

    The 19-year-old, who has agreed a five-year contract with the Eredivisie champions, will move on July 1.

    "We will have to be patient for a few more months before Antony can start here, but with him, we are getting a creative player who can play in every position up front," director of football Marc Overmars said via Ajax's website.

    "It's already been established that some of our players will be leaving this summer. We need to plan for that, so it's great that we've been able to finalise this transfer."

    The signing of Antony – a Brazil Under-23 international - comes after Hakim Ziyech agreed to join Chelsea at the end of the season in a deal that could be worth €44m.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.