EPL

Mourinho hits out at Conte as Inter chase Eriksen

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Antonio Conte for speaking publicly about Inter's pursuit of Christian Eriksen.

Eriksen, 27, is out of contract at Tottenham at the end of the season and has been heavily linked with a move to the Serie A side.

Mourinho reignited his feud with Conte as speculation continues over Eriksen, criticising the Inter boss for discussing the midfielder publicly.

Conte is reported to have said: "Eriksen? We have to go to people who have already had a career, who are at the end of their contracts."

"I think Antonio, I think Antonio. I think it was publicly. He is very positive that Eriksen is coming to Inter," Mourinho told UK newspapers when asked who from Inter had been quoted about the Dane, via The Guardian.

"We shouldn't speak about players from other clubs until they become our players. You ask me about Gedson [Fernandes] since the moment Gedson's name was on the screen and I told you nothing.

"You protect everybody. Is it a question of respect? I don't want to give you a headline. That's up to you.

"If Inter are confident, they are confident because they are ready to make us an offer, which didn't happen yet. So when I see people speaking, especially people with responsibilities, I am a little bit surprised."

Mourinho coached Inter from 2008 to 2010, leading the club to two Serie A titles and a Champions League crown.

But the Portuguese tactician said no transfer move would impact his relationship with the club.

"This is not my Inter. I have no connections with the people [running the club] so I think it's nothing to do with that," Mourinho said.

"Nothing can change my feeling with Inter. It's not a situation with a player that is going to change my feeling with the club and the fans. No chance."

Related items

  • Fati back for Gamper Trophy as Koeman leaves out Suarez & Vidal once more Fati back for Gamper Trophy as Koeman leaves out Suarez & Vidal once more

    Ansu Fati is back in the Barcelona squad for the Joan Gamper Trophy match against Elche on Saturday but there is no place once more for Luis Suarez.

    Fati sustained a hip injury during training and sat out the 3-1 friendly win over Girona in midweek but returns to bolster Ronald Koeman's attacking options.

    Suarez is not among those, even as speculation over his future continues to shift.

    Juventus are reported to have withdrawn their interest in the 33-year-old Uruguay international, with Atletico Madrid emerging as contenders for his signature.

    Inter Milan target Arturo Vidal is also not involved and there is no place in the 23-man squad for Riqui Puig.

    The 21-year-old made his first-team breakthrough last season but he is another player rumoured not to be part of Koeman's plans at Camp Nou.

    Lionel Messi returned and scored against Girona following his attempts to leave Barca earlier in the transfer window.

  • Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon

    Aston Villa have signed Lyon forward Bertrand Traore for an undisclosed fee, thought to be worth in the region of £19million (€20.5m).

    The 25-year-old has agreed a long-term contract at Villa Park and his move is subject to international clearance.

    "We're delighted that Bertrand has chosen to come to Villa," manager Dean Smith told his club's official website ahead of their Premier League opener against Sheffield United on Monday.

    "He's a player with immense talent who will really enhance our attacking options."

    Traore cited the presence of Smith's assistant John Terry, with whom he shared a dressing room at Chelsea, as a factor in the transfer, while he also counts Villa duo Marvelous Nakamba and Anwar El Ghazi as former team-mates from his time in the Eredivisie.

    "I played with JT at Chelsea, I spoke to him," he told Villa TV

    “I spoke to the manager, spoke with the sporting director as well and some players I used to play with – Nakamba and El Ghazi.

    “I spoke to Nakamba, I talked to him a little bit about the club. Many things made me take the decision to come here. I'm happy."

    Traore joined Chelsea as a teenager and enjoyed loan stints at Vitesse and Ajax before joining Lyon for an initial €10m in 2017.

    He scored 33 goals in 126 appearances for last season's Champions League semi-finalists but insists he always wanted another crack at England's top flight.

    "I always wanted to come back to the Premier League," he added. "I had to follow my own way as well and gain some more experience.

    "I think it is the right time to come back.I think I'm coming back as a better player, with more experience."

  • Chelsea's Zappacosta and Juve's Pjaca join Genoa on loan Chelsea's Zappacosta and Juve's Pjaca join Genoa on loan

    Davide Zappacosta and Marko Pjaca have joined Genoa on loan from Chelsea and Juventus respectively.

    Zappacosta, 28, spent last term in Serie A with Roma but made only nine league appearances, having suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament injury while in the capital.

    The right-back joined the Blues in 2017, yet, having featured regularly across his debut campaign, he earned just one Premier League start in his second term.

    He appears to have fallen down the pecking order under Frank Lampard following the emergence of Reece James, but is under contract until 2022.

    Winger Pjaca, 25, has been at Juventus since 2016 after signing on a five-year deal from Dinamo Zagreb.

    However, the Croatian has failed to establish himself in the Bianconeri's first team – for whom he last played a Serie A game in March 2017 – and his spell at Genoa will be his latest loan away from the club after stints with Schalke, Fiorentina and Anderlecht.

    Genoa, who finished 17th in Serie A last season and narrowly avoided relegation, begin the new campaign at home to Crotone on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.