EPL

Chelsea adopt anti-Semitism definition of IHRA, which hopes other clubs follow suit

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Chelsea have adopted the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's (IHRA) definition of anti-Semitism and the organisation's executive secretary hopes other football clubs follow suit.

The decision comes as part of Chelsea's "Say No to anti-Semitism" campaign, which was launched in January 2018, and follows the official presentation of a commemorative mural of Jewish footballers and British prisoners of war on a wall outside Stamford Bridge's West Stand on Wednesday.

The IHRA definition is: "Anti-Semitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."

Chelsea accused a section of their fans of anti-Semitic chanting during a Europa League game at Vidi in December 2018, although the club received no punishment from UEFA.

IHRA executive secretary Kathrin Meyer praised the club's work on discrimination against Jews and hopes they prove to be trailblazers in football.

"This definition is a tool to raise awareness and be informed to fight anti-Semitism," said Meyer at a news conference at Chelsea's Cobham training ground.

"It couldn't be more urgent. Anti-Semitism kills people, not just in football, and attacks our societies. The step Chelsea are taking with this and the 'Say No to anti-Semitism' campaign is huge.

"I hope other clubs follow, it needs to be a bottom-up effort. We wish Chelsea all the best of luck with their endeavours."

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "All our players have been involved in our efforts. This week we unveiled a mural on the West Stand at Stamford Bridge.

"Adopting this definition is a big moment for this club. It brings clarity to the whole subject of what is anti-Semitic. Everyone will be fully aware of the definition. It's been adopted by around 35 countries and British Police.

"We know it's a long battle … this is a problem that has existed for a long time, the Holocaust is something we have to make sure never happens again. We all have to work at this.

"In 2017 there were a number of anti-Semitic incidents around the world. It came around, and we wanted to do something about it."

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard added: "I think it's an important statement, we hope it makes an impact, that's the whole point.

"In simple terms as manager of the football club, I am proud that the club takes such a strong stance against any form of discrimination and we'll be active in that going forward, which I think today shows.

"Words are one thing but actions are another, and we'll always be very strong on that and will continue to be so."

Related items

  • Wolves sign right-back Semedo from Barcelona Wolves sign right-back Semedo from Barcelona

    Wolves have completed the signing of right-back Nelson Semedo from Barcelona on an initial three-year deal.

    Semedo arrives at Molineux in a reported £32.2million (€35m) transfer as a replacement for Matt Doherty, who joined Tottenham last month.

    The Portugal international, who spent three years at Camp Nou after signing from Benfica, posted a message to Barca on his Instagram page on Tuesday before Wolves confirmed his arrival the following day.

    Semedo wrote: "Thank you very much Barcelona for giving me the dream of wearing this shirt. Thank you for making me grow as a player and as a person.

    "I've had three wonderful years that I won't forget. I want to thank my team-mates, the staff, the fans and all the people who have helped me from the moment I arrived until today."

    Semedo is the latest player to leave the Blaugrana as new coach Ronald Koeman overhauls the first-team squad following a dismal 2019-20 campaign.

    The 26-year-old featured 42 times in all competitions last season, scoring once, as Barca lost their LaLiga crown, failed to win a trophy and crashed out of the Champions League in humiliating fashion, going down 8-2 to Bayern Munich.

    Arturo Vidal has left for Inter, while Luis Suarez is also expected to depart. The club blocked captain Lionel Messi's exit.

    Semedo's departure had been anticipated, with Barca linked with bids for alternative right-back options - including Arsenal's Hector Bellerin, Norwich City's Max Aarons and Ajax's Sergino Dest.

    Contrasting reports have Aarons and Dest close to moves to Catalonia.

    Semedo was welcomed at Wolves, where his new contract has the option for a further two years.

    "It isn't often that we have the opportunity to sign a world-class player from a world-class club," executive chairman Jeff Shi said. "Nelson's signing shows we will never stop progressing and we are still hungry and humble in our heart."

    Semedo, a two-time LaLiga winner, added: "I'm very excited to be here. It's a very good team. To play in the Premier League is a dream from me, too."

  • Real Madrid announce no new positive coronavirus tests Real Madrid announce no new positive coronavirus tests

    Real Madrid have announced that no players or staff members have tested positive for coronavirus.

    News emerged on Tuesday that midfielder Martin Odegaard had reportedly returned a positive test after Madrid's goalless draw with Real Sociedad.

    The 21-year-old took part in training on Tuesday and was also in close contact with Sociedad's players at the weekend.

    However, Madrid released a statement on their official website on Wednesday to announce no members of their squad have contracted COVID-19.

    "Real Madrid communicates after the latest COVID-19 tests carried out on our first football team and their coaching staff, all the results have been negative," the statement read.

    Madrid return to action on Saturday with a trip to Real Betis, who have won their opening two games to occupy second place in the division.

  • Rumour Has It: Suarez to join Atletico, Man Utd in Barca talks for Dembele Rumour Has It: Suarez to join Atletico, Man Utd in Barca talks for Dembele

    First Juventus, now Atletico Madrid.

    For so long, Luis Suarez appeared set to leave Spain for Italy.

    But a proposed move to Juve did not materialise as the Barcelona forward stands on the cusp of uniting with Diego Simeone in the Spanish capital.

     

    TOP STORY – SUAREZ TO JOIN ATLETICO

    Luis Suarez will swap Barcelona for LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid, according to widespread reports in Spain.

    Suarez had been tipped to join Serie A champions Juventus after being told he could leave Camp Nou.

    But the 33-year-old Uruguay international forward will now sign a two-year deal with Atletico as he dominates the front pages of Wednesday's Marca, Diario AS and Mundo Deportivo.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Manchester United have progressed talks with Barca regarding forward Ousmane Dembele, Record Sport reports. Having so far failed to prise Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund, United are eyeing an initial loan move for Dembele.

    - Esport3 claims Barca are set to sign Ajax right-back Sergino Dest, who was also wanted by Bayern Munich.

    Milan have offered €20million for Nikola Milenkovic but Fiorentina have said no, reports Gazzetta dello Sport. Celtic's Kristoffer Ajer and Schalke centre-back Matija Nastasic are also options for the Rossoneri.

    - Tuttosport claims Wolves are circling Juventus winger Douglas Costa, who has also been linked to United.

    Fulham and Newcastle United have entered the race to sign Napoli forward Arkadiusz Milik, reports Gazzetta dello Sport. Tottenham have also been linked to the Poland international, while Roma are believed to be in talks as Milik enters the final year of his Napoli contract.

    - Sky Sport Italia says Tottenham have opened talks for Inter defender Milan Skriniar, while Benfica's Ruben Dias is another option for Spurs.

    - Torino are battling Atletico for Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira, according to Sportitalia. The former Sampdoria star has also been linked to Milan.

    - Telefoot says Paris Saint-Germain are in talks with Chelsea over the possible signing of midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko. Discussions with Milan over a return have become complicated and PSG are now eyeing an initial loan deal for the former Monaco star.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.