EPL

Mourinho anticipating early February return for Lloris

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Jose Mourinho offered no specifics when asked when Hugo Lloris could be back in action for Tottenham, after the goalkeeper made his return to training this week.

Lloris has been out since suffering a gruesome dislocated elbow in Spurs' defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in October.

The France keeper has not played for Mourinho, who replaced Mauricio Pochettino in November, but appears to be edging closer to his first appearance under the Portuguese's stewardship.

Tottenham posted on Twitter on Friday that Lloris had returned to training with the first team, and Mourinho is hopeful of his absence coming to an end next month.

"I told [you] one month ago, I said February. So, the normal thing is February. If you ask me late February or early February, at this moment I go more for early," Mourinho told a media conference.

"Things are going well. He's getting his confidence back, he's training so I would say he's one of our new players in the January transfer window."

One new player Spurs have already brought in is midfielder Gedson Fernandes, who joined on an 18-month loan from Benfica with an option to buy.

Fernandes is set to make his debut when Tottenham visit Watford on Saturday.

"This weekend they can expect him to be involved, starting or not but for sure involved in the team," added Mourinho. 

"When you get players in January, normally it's because you need. And we need because we lost important players for a long time so we need his contribution. Young player, yes, just arrived in a new country, yes, but at the same time he has experience of playing for a big club.

"He has played already big matches, for instance Bayern Munich and Galatasaray away in the Champions League, Europa League quarter-finals, so he's used to a high level of stress, pressure, responsibility.

"He's a kid that can play different positions in midfield, even wide on the right if we need. We got him for his multi-functionality.

"He's what I used to call a special loan. He's not a three-month loan and goodbye. [It's a] one-and-a-half-year loan when he'll have time to develop, and who knows if he doesn't stay here for a number of years."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut

    Borussia Dortmund will remind their players of their responsibilities after Jadon Sancho and some of his team-mates broke the German Football League's (DFL) coronavirus protocol to get a haircut.

    In photographs published by BILD, Sancho, Axel Witsel, Thorgan Hazard, Raphael Guerreiro, Dan-Axel Zagadou and Manuel Akanji were seen getting a trim from barber Winnie Nana Karkari at their homes without wearing masks.

    According to DFL regulations, players should have no contact with the public, stay at home and receive no visitors.

    In a statement released to BILD, Dortmund said: "It is pretty usual that our guys must get their hair cut after all these months. But it is surely a no-go, from both sides, not to wear a mask.

    "We will remind our players about that very, very clearly. Also, the barber should ask himself about his behaviour too."

    Karkari claimed he followed strict hygiene procedures and was wearing his mask at all times other than when pictured.

    He said: "I only took off the mask for the photo, otherwise I followed all hygiene measures very precisely.

    "I disinfected every machine before every customer, always cut with gloves even independently of coronavirus – and I am very, very fussy."

    Dortmund fell seven points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich after a 1-0 loss to Hansi Flick's side at Signal Iduna Park last week.

    They are next in action at home to Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

  • Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS

    A number of Premier League stars have put signed shirts up for a charity raffle to raise money for health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Top-flight players launched their '#PlayersTogether' fund in April, an initiative working alongside NHS Charities Together.

    In the latest development on Wednesday, players donated over 500 signed jerseys to the Shirts for Heroes raffle on eBay, with each ticket costing £5.

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, who was said to be prominent in the initial movement, was among those to post of their involvement on Twitter.

    Henderson and team-mate Virgil van Dijk each quickly gathered more than 150 ticket sales.

    Manchester City's midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva were also involved, along with Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire.

  • Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for charity Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for charity

    A number of Premier League stars have put signed shirts up for a charity raffle to raise money for health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Top-flight players launched their '#PlayersTogether' fund in April, an initiative in which they would work with NHS Charities Together.

    In the latest development on Wednesday, players donated over 500 signed jerseys to the Shirts for Heroes raffle on eBay, with each ticket costing £5.

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, who was said to be prominent in the initial movement, was among those to post of their involvement on Twitter.

    Henderson and team-mate Virgil van Dijk each quickly gathered more than 150 ticket sales.

    Manchester City's midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva were also involved, along with Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.