Bartomeu claims respect for Valverde despite unseemly Barca exit

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu does not believe axed head coach Ernesto Valverde was treated unfairly despite admitting holding discussions with several prospective replacements while he was still in his post.

Barca unveiled ex-Real Betis boss Quique Setien as Valverde's successor on Tuesday, concluding a tumultuous few days at Camp Nou.

Valverde parted ways with the club amid mounting pressure on the back of last week's Supercopa de Espana defeat to Atletico Madrid, even though he won LaLiga in both his completed seasons at the helm and sat joint top alongside Real Madrid this time around.

"Last year there were a lot of requests for him to not continue and I personally always believed in him," Bartomeu said of Valverde, speaking alongside Setien at a news conference.

"I liked how he was as a person, as a coach, he had the confidence of the club. We decided to continue with him in this project.

"The only thing is, as I said before, in recent weeks there was a dynamic [that was] not very good, it wasn't new to him. It's a collective job – we spoke to find solutions and after speaking we decided a few days ago the best thing for a boost to the team was a change in coach, that allows us to handle the second half of the season on a high.

"We're doing well in the league and champions league, I like what Ernesto Valverde did a lot, but it was the moment to make the change for a boost.

"I want to thank Ernesto. He is a great person with great values. We're friends with him, we had a great relationship with him and a lot of respect for him."

News broke over the weekend that Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal held talks with his old team-mate Xavi over replacing Valverde.

Xavi remains with Qatari club Al Sadd, although Bartomeu suggested Barca's search for a new coach went beyond the club great and Setien.

"Abidal has been in touch with everyone talking about future and plans and he will explain what's gone on, without names," he said.

"No names bar one has come up and been public, because that's not our style. He's been working to find coaches and speaking with them.

"He's brought Setien, who we like very much."

Abidal himself added: "I'm not going to just talk about Xavi. When it comes to taking decisions, the board knows that answers are needed. Every manager has his DNA and decisions. They're all different.

"Setien is here because we like his way of working and his style. It's something we like, and in football we know a lot can change, but we have full confidence in the coach and the staff.

"From what I've seen in first day of training, there's a lot of changes. I think we can reach our objectives with him. I respect all the coaches I spoke to, but we had to take a decision and I think the perfect coach for us is Setien."

Related items

  • Harrison stays on for third loan spell at Leeds United Harrison stays on for third loan spell at Leeds United

    Leeds United have confirmed the signing of Manchester City winger Jack Harrison on loan for a third successive season.

    Harrison has spent the past two campaigns at Leeds, becoming a first-team regular under Marcelo Bielsa.

    The 23-year-old made 46 appearances as Leeds won the Championship and sealed promotion to the Premier League last term, scoring six times and providing eight assists.

    Leeds also confirmed the loan transfer is with a view to a permanent deal.

    Harrison becomes Leeds' third addition of the transfer window, with Helder Costa and goalkeeper Illan Meslier having made their stays permanent following impressive loan spells from Wolves and Lorient respectively in 2019-20.

  • Liverpool complete deal for defender Tsimikas Liverpool complete deal for defender Tsimikas

    Liverpool have confirmed the signing of defender Konstantinos Tsimikas on a long-term deal.

    A Greece international who plays at left-back, Tsimikas joins the Premier League champions from Olympiacos for a reported fee of £11.7million (€13m).

    The arrival of the 24-year-old provides an additional option to Andy Robertson, covering an area of need in Jurgen Klopp's squad ahead of the 2020-21 season.

    Liverpool had also been linked with Norwich City's Jamal Lewis, though reports suggested they were unable to come close to agreeing a fee for the Northern Ireland international.

    "I'm very happy, I'm very proud to be here. For me, [it's] the biggest club in the world," Tsimikas told Liverpool's official website. "It's an honour to be here and I will give my best."

    "The league here, I like a lot. I watch it on the TV and it was always one dream I had from when I was a kid to come to play in this league and to come through.

    "With a lot of work and focus on what I do and what the coach wants, and every day working hard in training, I can be on the highest level.

    "[I want] to achieve [our] goals. To win the league again and also to win the Champions League."

    Tsimikas played in both legs as Olympiacos knocked Arsenal out of the Europa League, though their run in the competition was ended by Wolves in the following round.

    His addition provides competition at a position Robertson has made his own. The Scotland international played in 36 league games in the title-winning campaign, with Klopp also using midfielder James Milner in the role.

  • Valencia unveil first-of-its-kind 'Memorial Wall' in Mestalla tunnel in tribute to coronavirus victims Valencia unveil first-of-its-kind 'Memorial Wall' in Mestalla tunnel in tribute to coronavirus victims

    Valencia have unveiled a 'Memorial Wall' in the players' tunnel of their Mestalla home in tribute to victims of the coronavirus pandemic and those who have worked on the frontline of the health service.

    The mural, which is said to be the first of its kind at a top-flight stadium, will be a permanent fixture at the Spanish club's famous ground, which is the oldest in LaLiga.

    Around 35 per cent of Valencia's playing squad and backroom staff tested positive for COVID-19 in March, with Ezequiel Garay and Eliaquim Mangala among those to contract the respiratory disease.

    Some sort of normality has returned to the region with the resumption of football in June but president Anil Murthy is keen to help those who have been affected by the pandemic, while also paying tribute to Cruz Roja, the Spanish branch of the Red Cross.

    "The Mestalla is right in the centre of Valencia and is an emblematic location for all Valencianos," Murthy said. "When there was flooding, people came here to take refuge.

    "During the coronavirus epidemic we are going through, a very tough period for everyone, we are opening up the Mestalla again to show how we can be part of the community.

    "We have the foodbank here, which is still going on to help people in this time of need – people need jobs and people need food.

    "Valencia is much more than just a football club. We are a social investor and are very happy to work with the Red Cross.

    "This is a very important aspect of our club and we shall continue doing more."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.