Setien promises to be direct with Messi and Barcelona's other stars

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Quique Setien insists he will not be afraid to be direct with Lionel Messi and Barcelona's other superstars, though he is confident his relationship with the squad will be excellent.

Setien was appointed as Barca's new coach on Monday after the club elected to part ways with Ernesto Valverde despite being top of LaLiga.

It is by far the biggest role of the 61-year-old's coaching career, with his most recent job being at Real Betis, who he left at the end of last season.

However, Setien has no doubt his attacking, possession-based style of play will suit Barca, though he is adamant hard work must always come first.

"I've spoken to the players and the willingness is extraordinary," Setien said at a media presentation on Tuesday.

"I said not just to Messi but to others, that I've enjoyed watching this team and players on TV. They allowed me to really enjoy football, it's been every day, every game.

"There's always something that's enjoyable to watch. Obviously today, being able to coach the best player in the world and his team-mates, I'm still not sure what that means.

"One thing is your admiration for someone, then there's the reality – Messi is Messi, [Gerard] Pique is Pique, [Sergio] Busquets is Busquets, I'm sure my relationship will be extraordinary with everyone.

"They'll see what I'm like, sincere and direct, I don't beat around the bush, I say if I see something I don't like, I try to fix it. 

"We are sure we are going to understand each other very quickly because a lot of the things we will propose to them, they already know.

"Hard work is the most important. Conviction also, but real hard work. I will listen to everybody, but it is difficult to take out of my mind the ideas that I have and am convinced about."

One player Setien will be without for the immediate future is striker Luis Suarez, who is set to miss four months after undergoing knee surgery.

The coach is yet to decide how he will set his team up without such a crucial figure leading the line.

"We've a lot of things to talk about, so we've not had time to talk about this," Setien, who oversaw training on Tuesday, added. 

"We've not seen enough to analyse this perfectly, but I'm clear we're always going to have a consensus in decision; they listen, I listen. 

"We all make mistakes, we all get things right. We have an important player out, but we must think about the players we have got. 

"We'll possibly go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, because that has been played a lot recently, but I'll leave that to one side because we need to speak to the players."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez

    Luis Suarez defended Barcelona players and said they were the first who wanted to reach an agreement over a pay cut.

    Barcelona players agreed to a 70 per cent pay cut earlier this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    In a statement confirming the move on Monday, Barcelona star Lionel Messi took aim at senior figures at the club for putting players under pressure over something they always knew they would do.

    Suarez said players were hurt by reports they were unwilling to accept a salary reduction.

    "A lot of hurtful things have been said about the squad's salary cuts," the forward told Sport 890 on Thursday.

    "People have said that the players didn't want to accept them, then it was said that players from other areas of the club had reached an agreement, when the reality is that we were waiting to try and find the best solution for the club."

    Suarez added: "It hurts when people say things like that because we were always the first people that wanted to reach an agreement, as we know what the club's situation is.

    "No player in the squad refused a wage cut. A mutual agreement was reached between the players and the club. The captains spoke to the president and nobody refused it."

    More than 52,900 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll exceeding 10,300 in Spain.

  • De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero

    Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne belongs among the world's best alongside Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, according to Alessandro Del Piero.

    Messi and Ronaldo are widely regarded as the world's two best players, ahead of Paris Saint-Germain stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

    But Del Piero, a Juventus great, feels De Bruyne should be considered among the best.

    "To define the strongest player, you should specify in what," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "In addition to the sacred names such as Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar that attract the audience at 360 degrees, there are players of incredible depth, like De Bruyne."

    De Bruyne had scored nine goals and provided 18 assists in 35 games in all competitions before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Coronavirus: PFA defends response to COVID-19 crisis as government criticises Premier League stars Coronavirus: PFA defends response to COVID-19 crisis as government criticises Premier League stars

    The Professional Footballers' Association has denied reports that it will block all wage deferrals at clubs as English football's response to the coronavirus pandemic attracted governmental criticism.

    On Wednesday, the PFA reported that talks with the Premier League, the English Football League and the League Manager's Association over the appropriate financial response to the crisis were on-going.

    However, public opinion had already started to turn against Premier League clubs and their players, after Newcastle United, Tottenham, Norwich City and Bournemouth all took advantage of the government scheme allowing businesses to furlough employees at the state's expense as COVID-19 lockdown conditions remain.

    Health secretary Matt Hancock, who himself tested positive for coronavirus last week, called on Premier League footballers to "take a pay cut and play their part" in remarks where he invoked the deaths of National Health Service workers.

    That followed Julian Knight MP, the department for culture, media and sport committee chair, writing to the chancellor Rishi Sunak to propose a windfall tax on Premier League clubs to recover money received from the furlough scheme.

    In its response to an increasingly hostile climate, the PFA said it did not support widespread use of such government provision.

    "Each club's financial standing will vary. We are aware of the public sentiment that the players should pay non-playing staff's salaries," it read. "However, our current position is that – as businesses - if clubs can afford to pay their players and staff, they should. 

    "The players we have spoken [to] recognise that the non-playing staff are a vital part of their club and they do not want to see club staff furloughed unfairly. Any use of the government's support schemes without genuine financial need is detrimental to the wider society.

    "In instances where clubs have the resources to pay all staff, the benefit of players paying non-playing staff salaries will only serve the business of the club's shareholders."

    Addressing the matter of players taking temporary pay cuts – such as the 70 per cent reductions LaLiga giants Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have enacted – the players' union highlighted how its initial work to meet the challenges of COVID-19 sought to protect players in the bottom two tiers of England's professional structure.

    It explained its position that players should be willing help their clubs and the wider game by sharing the financial burden at this time and that "advice going out to players at this point reflects that expectation".

    "At this point, our attention was mainly focused on EFL players - particularly League One and League Two - as their need was most urgent. Here, a significant number of players are employed on a relatively short-term basis, with 12-month contracts and salaries closer to the national average," the PFA said.

    "As such, many of these players will have contracts ending in June. These are often people with young families, for whom their immediate financial position is uncertain."

    The statement continued: "Contrary to some press reports the PFA has never stated that it will block all wage deferrals. What we have sought to put in place is a structured and unified approach to ensure a fair response across the leagues.

    "To address this, we called for an urgent meeting with the Premier League and EFL - which took place on Friday, March 27. The PFA's primary aim was to ensure that wages for EFL players were protected for that month, this was agreed.

    "In addition, a timetable was established to collectively use early April, to reach considered decisions and solutions, with a view for any potential changes and reductions to salaries coming into effect on April's payroll. Talks on this basis are ongoing."

    The PFA also highlighted charity work undertaken by members to help the NHS and the wider community, and their stance appeared to win swift support from former England and Manchester United defender Gary Neville, who took umbrage at perceived political points scoring from Hancock.

    "I wish I was a player for 10 more mins. The PL players are more than likely working on a proposal to help clubs, communities and The NHS," Neville tweeted.

    "It takes longer than 2 weeks to put together. Matt Hancock calling them out when he can't get tests in place for NHS staff is a f@@@@@g cheek!"

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.