Setien: Barcelona job beyond my wildest dreams

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Quique Setien described being appointed Barcelona coach as being beyond his "wildest dreams", calling the role the highest accolade in world football.

Setien – who left Real Betis in May 2019 – was named Barca coach in something of a surprise appointment on Monday following Ernesto Valverde's departure.

Barca great Xavi had been strongly linked with the job, though reportedly turned down the offer to succeed Valverde at this stage in the season.

And having been handed the opportunity to manage one of the world's biggest clubs, ex-Las Palmas coach Setien – who acknowledged his shock at the speed of the move – is convinced his eagerness for the job will be easy to transmit to Barca's star-studded squad, even if it will be impossible to improve on the team's past achievements.

"Without a doubt I want to thank this institution for the opportunity they've given me to come here," he said. 

"Not even in my wildest dreams could I have imagined this. I'm someone who is very emotional and today is very special for me.

"I am excited to start with this project and that is the biggest thing I have to transmit to the players, we know we depend on the players.

"I need to transmit this desire, this enthusiasm, this will to win, this confidence that I have now and normally this is not very complicated for me to transmit it.

"We have had the first training session and everything has gone very quickly. [On Monday] I was walking around by the cows in my town and now I'm at the training ground at Barcelona coaching the best players in the world for a huge team which I'll never be able to improve upon.

"This is the highest accolade."

Thursday's defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana proved to be the final straw for Valverde, who took over at Camp Nou in 2017 and guided Barca to two LaLiga titles plus a Copa del Rey triumph.

Setien, though, lauded his predecessor's work. 

"I want to thank Ernesto. He's always seemed to be a very good person, he's always been very nice to me," the 61-year-old said. 

"I value the work he has done, how he is, his principles and many other things about him. I'm also trying to get some contact with him because there are many things from his work which are going to be very good for us.

"I want to thank him for leaving me with a side which are top of the league. You can imagine I was waiting for an opportunity. You always assume a team down at the bottom in a negative run of form.

"The work Ernesto has done and how he has left the team is something to be thankful for. It is not normal to be left with a side which are top of the league."

Related items

  • Western United 5-3 Western Sydney Wanderers: De Marigny's Finals hopes over Western United 5-3 Western Sydney Wanderers: De Marigny's Finals hopes over

    Western United ended Western Sydney Wanderers' faint A-League Finals hopes by clinching a 5-3 victory after surrendering a three-goal lead at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

    The Wanderers needed a win to keep their aspirations of finishing in the top six alive but got off to a poor start, Josh Risdon heading home Max Burgess' cross before teeing up Besart Berisha in the 19th minute.

    A sublime chip from Alessandro Diamanti early in the second half looked to have put the result beyond doubt, but the Jean-Paul De Marigny's men remarkably clawed it back with three goals in 13 minutes.

    Mitchell Duke's double, consisting of a header and a well-executed volley, book-ended a Wanderers' goal glut, with Tass Mourdoukoutas also on target.

    However, their momentum was extinguished two minutes later when Mourdoukoutas was caught in possession by Burgess and the attacker sprinted clear before tucking a cool finish beyond Tristan Prendergast.

    Another wonderful lob from Diamanti put the seal on the win for United, who are two points adrift of sixth-placed Adelaide United with two games in hand.

  • Bundesliga 2020-21 fixtures: Bayern set to face Schalke in opening game Bundesliga 2020-21 fixtures: Bayern set to face Schalke in opening game

    Bayern Munich are set to face Schalke in the opening game of the 2020-21 Bundesliga season.

    Hansi Flick's side are slated to kick off the defence of their title against Schalke at the Allianz Arena on Friday, September 18.

    However, if Bayern reach the final of the Champions League, which is scheduled for August 23, their meeting with Schalke will take place on September 21.

    The new season would then start with Borussia Dortmund taking on Borussia Monchengladbach instead.

    Bayern and Dortmund's first meeting of the season will take place in the DFL-Supercup at the Allianz Arena on September 30.

    A Bundesliga Klassiker will unfold at Signal Iduna Park on matchday seven, which runs from November 6-8. The return league match will be staged between March 5-8.

    Matchday 32 could prove key in a potential title race, with Bayern entertaining Gladbach and Dortmund at home to RB Leipzig.

    Bayern will conclude their top-flight campaign at home to Bavarian rivals Augsburg on May 22, while Dortmund will entertain Bayer Leverkusen.

  • Setien dismisses doubts over Barca future ahead of Napoli showdown Setien dismisses doubts over Barca future ahead of Napoli showdown

    Quique Setien says the thought that Saturday's Champions League last-16 clash with Napoli could be his last as Barcelona head coach has not crossed his mind.

    Setien only replaced Ernesto Valverde in January but has had to contend with questions about his future early in his reign.

    The 61-year-old, who signed a two-and-a-half-year deal, insisted before Real Madrid were crowned LaLiga champions last month he "does not spend a minute" thinking about whether he could lose his job.

    Barca and Napoli will do battle for a place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League at Camp Nou in a tie locked at 1-1 after the first leg in February.

    Setien says he has not even pondered whether he could be sacked if the Catalan giants crash out.

    "It has not crossed my mind at any time that tomorrow is my last game. We have prepared for the game thinking that we are going to continue," he told the media on Friday.

    Ousmane Dembele (hamstring) is not ready to return to face the Serie A side, but Antoine Griezmann (thigh) was named in the squad.

    Setien feels Barca have benefited from a break following the conclusion of the domestic season.

    He added: "When we finished the league, it was with a positive mindset. Both the players and myself needed a break because after so many consecutive matches it really took its toll on us.

    "But I think now we have had sufficient time to prepare for this match; to recuperate physically, take a few days off and come back with a renewed energy that has allowed us to have some very good training sessions and prepare in the best way possible."

    Setien says the Blaugrana are prepared to adapt if their game plan is not working in the decisive encounter.

    He said: "We have thought about everything and assessed for a long time which was the best option to play this game. We have taken a variant that does not mean that we cannot change it at some point in the game.

    "They are a team that can hurt us with the ball, combines well, has greatly improved in possession, is very disciplined defending. It will be a game with alternatives."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.