EPL

Mourinho on Kane: He could be out until April, May, next season - I don't know!

By Sports Desk January 13, 2020

Jose Mourinho insists he has no update on the fitness of Harry Kane and does not know if the Tottenham striker will be out until April, May or next season.

It was confirmed last week that Kane needed surgery on his left hamstring and will be out of action until at least April after sustaining the injury on New Year's Day when scoring a goal against Southampton that was ruled out for offside. 

The 26-year-old will be hoping to be fit for Spurs' end-of-season run-in and Euro 2020 duties for England.

Ahead of Tuesday's FA Cup third-round replay against Middlesbrough, Mourinho was asked for an update on Kane's fitness and whether he would need another striker to come in, having previously been linked to Milan's Krzysztof Piatek.

Mourinho said: "We try the best we can. News on Harry we don't have and if you ask me every time we come here the answer will be the same.

"We expect him to be out until, I don't know, mid-April, end of April, May, next season I don't know. I have no updates to give on Harry.

"I think this market in January is a strange market. Sometimes the opportunities are there and sometimes they are not there. 

"Sometimes clubs are ready to sell or loan and sometimes club are not. It's not an easy one. It is just the window of opportunity and sometimes the opportunity is there and sometimes it is not."

Mourinho feels Spurs' injury concerns, with Ben Davies (ankle) the first to be struck down during the Portuguese's tenure, are making it difficult to make long-term plans. 

The former Chelsea and Manchester United boss added: "We are more on the situation that we try to create a team that can play tomorrow and provide some guarantees of success.

"If you want to know what I wanted to do here, you look to my first game, against West Ham. That's the way I thought I was going to develop the team. Defend with a back four, attack with a back three.

"That means that my left-back defends as a left-back and then when we go in attacking organisation, my left-back becomes one of the three in the back. Build with three, protect the right-back and do overloads on the other side. 

"That was the way I wanted to develop the team. That was the first day of unlucky, goodbye Ben Davies and then I think everything started with Hugo Lloris.

"You lose your captain for so long and then in my case I lose Ben. We tried but then the players are different and then you lose one more, and you lose one more, and you lose Kane, and you don't have a striker. 

"You go to Middlesbrough and you play with Lucas [Moura] and Sonny [Son Heung-min] both up. 

"But then you realise that the team is comfortable with width and then you have to bring one to the side ... instead of building something that you see, the puzzle is coming and we are developing."

Related items

  • Barcelona still have a squad capable of challenging – Zidane Barcelona still have a squad capable of challenging – Zidane

    Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane believes Barcelona have a squad that is capable of "fighting for everything".

    After a trophy-less 2019-20 season, Ronald Koeman is rebuilding the Blaugrana, who have seen the likes of Luis Suarez, Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic, Arthur and Nelson Semedo leave.

    Philippe Coutinho has returned from his loan spell at Bayern Munich and Miralem Pjanic joined from Juventus, while Lionel Messi ended up staying after requesting a move.

    Zidane, whose Madrid visit Real Betis on Saturday, said Barca were strong enough to again be challenging for titles.

    "I will be respectful. Besides, I don't know what's going on inside, that's why I don't want to get involved," the Madrid coach told a news conference.

    "I think each club has their own issues and difficulties. I think Barcelona, in terms of the team and the squad, is a club who will be fighting for everything.

    "I don't have any doubt."

    Madrid have also seen some changes to their squad, most notably the departures of Gareth Bale (on loan to Tottenham) and James Rodriguez (Everton).

    Bale's relationship with Zidane reportedly deteriorated in recent months, although the Welshman told Sky Sports on Friday he had "no regrets".

    Asked if he had anything to say about Bale, Zidane said: "I'm not going to speak about what Gareth said.

    "Against, what I will say is that we wish him the best for the future and we are focused on ourselves now. That's all."

  • Conte praises Perisic attitude amid Man Utd, PSG links Conte praises Perisic attitude amid Man Utd, PSG links

    Ivan Perisic has returned to Inter with desire and enthusiasm, coach Antonio Conte said amid transfer talk about the attacker.

    Perisic is back with the Serie A giants after spending 2019-20 on loan at Bayern Munich, where he won the Champions League, Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal.

    The Croatia international, who arrived at Inter from Wolfsburg in 2015, has again been linked with a move amid reported interest from Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain.

    But, ahead of Inter's Serie A opener against Fiorentina on Saturday, Conte said Perisic had returned with a renewed determination.

    "I am happy for Ivan, because in the end he had an incredible experience with Bayern Munich, a winning one, in which he won three trophies," he told a news conference.

    "Now he's back, with great determination to play for Inter and help us out, to put himself at the service of the team, and I am happy that he's got this desire.

    "Also, because when you've got this kind of determination, this enthusiasm, this desire, in the end everything gets easier for the coach."

    Inter finished second in Serie A last season, but have added the likes of Achraf Hakimi, Arturo Vidal and Aleksandar Kolarov to their squad.

    The arrival of Vidal from Barcelona was confirmed this week as the midfielder reunites with Conte after the pair worked together at Juventus.

    "Arturo Vidal is in good shape, he arrived in good physical condition," Conte said.

    "Tactically, he is a player that has already played with me, but at the same time we're doing new stuff now compared to the past, when he was one of my players.

    "Therefore, he is integrating well, he's a smart player, tactically, physically, he's got a great mindset.

    "In our midfield, he can do everything. He can be one of the two central midfielders, he can play as an offensive one, he can play together with a low playmaker should we decide to do that. He can play in any role and we are happy to have him with us."

  • Messi knows me well – Suarez proud after Barcelona star's backing Messi knows me well – Suarez proud after Barcelona star's backing

    Luis Suarez said he was proud after being defended by Lionel Messi following his move to Atletico Madrid from Barcelona.

    Suarez, 33, joined Atletico in a €6million move this week after six trophy-laden seasons at Camp Nou.

    His close friend and Barcelona star Messi slammed the Catalan giants on Friday, saying Suarez was "kicked out" and "nothing surprises" him anymore.

    Suarez, who won 13 trophies at Barca, said he was proud to have left such a positive impression.

    "Leo knows me well and is well aware of my level of conviction. It's a source of pride to be able to leave a positive legacy behind me," he told reporters.

    "I've now moved on and joining this competitive side is a major motivation."

    Suarez scored 21 goals in 36 games last season, but new Barca coach Ronald Koeman had no room for the Uruguayan as he rebuilds the Blaugrana.

    The forward said joining another big club in Spain was a huge motivation for him.

    "The motivation of coming to a great from Spain, Atleti is," Suarez said. 

    "It has great players, a competitive block that always fights to be at the top and for the league. 

    "The fans and the coach [Diego Simeone] motivate a lot too."

    Atletico begin their 2020-21 season at home to Granada on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.