EPL

Mourinho says 'I'm not an idiot' over Eriksen form as he waits for Gedson Fernandes news

By Sports Desk January 13, 2020

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says he is "not an idiot" and can see Christian Eriksen is a long way from his best, while adding he is "waiting for news" on the signing of Gedson Fernandes.

Eriksen has been heavily linked with a move to Inter as his contract is due to expire at the end of the season and has only registered two goals and the same number of assists in 18 Premier League outings this season.

The Denmark international was criticised for his performance in the 1-0 home Premier League defeat to Liverpool on Saturday, with Mourinho asked if he had seen a lack of effort from the 27-year-old.

"If you ask me if this is the best Christian Eriksen, I have to be honest and say no," Mourinho said ahead of Tuesday's FA Cup third-round replay against Middlesbrough, where he is likely to start Eriksen.

"I also think the same as you think and probably what our fans thought in the game. He didn’t have a very good performance against Liverpool, I have to agree with that.

"If you ask me if I know the reasons, I'm not an idiot, I’ve been in football for many years. I know clearly that a player who is in this situation is not a player that even if he wants [to perform], it's normal that a player doesn’t perform at the highest level. 

"I'm not blaming or criticising the player. I can also say that he is helping us in matches that he is playing with us. 

"He has had positive performances and contributions for example the game against Olympiacos which was a fundamental match for us to qualify, same against Norwich he had a very good performance. 

"We have very, very important injuries and every player we have has to be ready to help the team. We are not in a position to think anything different than that." 

Amid reports Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes is undergoing a medical at Tottenham ahead of becoming Mourinho's first signing, the Spurs boss was reluctant to discuss the 21-year-old, but did say he was awaiting an update.

The Portugal international is expected to sign on an initial 18-month loan with an obligation for Spurs to buy him for £55million, having won the race with West Ham for the player's signature.

Mourinho said of Fernandes: "I am waiting for news. News can come or not. I'm more worried about Middlesbrough than the market.

"Even if you get a player you cannot play him in a replay. So in this moment I'm not interested in Gedson or any kind of player."

After being handed a Premier League debut against Liverpool on Saturday, defender Japhet Tanganga is also poised to face Boro.

Asked if the 20-year-old was going to be out of contract having only signed a one-year deal ahead of the season, Mourinho indicated an extension had been done.

He added: "Do you think I would play him if his contract was expiring?"

Toby Alderweireld has started all 13 matches under Mourinho, who said the Belgium defender would be rested against Boro but, due to the club's injury list, he cannot afford to give any others a break as he would like to.

Related items

  • Ronaldo: Mbappe is the present and the future Ronaldo: Mbappe is the present and the future

    Cristiano Ronaldo hailed Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe as the present and the future of football.

    Mbappe has established himself as one of the best players in the world after bursting onto the scene with Ligue 1 outfit Monaco in 2016-17.

    The coveted 21-year-old has already won a World Cup, three Ligue 1 titles and three other domestic trophies for France, PSG and Monaco.

    Continually linked to LaLiga giants Real Madrid, Juventus superstar and five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo heaped praise on Mbappe.

    "Mbappe is the future and the present," Ronaldo said in a promotional video shared by Marca.

    "He's a fantastic player, very fast, and he will be the future."

    Seen as the heir to Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi, Mbappe has flourished for PSG in the French capital.

    After scoring 39 goals across all competitions last season, Mbappe has 24 this term – 15 of those coming in Ligue 1.

    Ronaldo, meanwhile, is in red-hot form for Serie A champions Juventus in 2019-20.

    The 35-year-old forward has scored 20 league goals and 24 in all competitions.

    Ronaldo has netted 12 goals in his past eight matches for Maurizio Sarri's Juve, who are a point clear atop the table.

  • Atalanta no longer a surprise – Ilicic celebrates Champions League rout Atalanta no longer a surprise – Ilicic celebrates Champions League rout

    Josip Ilicic said Atalanta are "no longer a surprise" after putting one foot in the Champions League quarter-finals with a crushing win over Valencia.

    Champions League debutants Atalanta continued their fairytale run by routing Valencia 4-1 in the opening leg of the last-16 tie at San Siro in Milan on Wednesday.

    Atalanta, who lost their opening three group matches this season, put the Spanish visitors to the sword courtesy of Hans Hateboer's brace and goals from Ilicic and Remo Freuler.

    "We prepared this game the same way we always do and had a great first half, allowing them practically nothing. It's a pity we conceded that away goal, but Valencia are a strong team and we forced them to play badly with our football," Ilicic, who scored a stunning goal to make it 2-0 approaching half-time, told Sky Sport Italia.

    "We knew their centre-backs didn't push up much, so that's why the coach chose me with Papu Gomez up front. We were very dangerous, especially in the first half, but we can do better.

    "Atalanta are no longer a surprise, we've proved so many times that we don't give in. We're doing some really important things here."

    Atalanta head coach Gian Piero Gasperini added: "We are on the one hand very satisfied, as we'd have happily accepted a scoreline like that.

    "Yet we end up feeling regret over conceding that away goal, as we really shouldn't have made that mistake when 4-0 up and it wasn't the only situation like that.

    "We need to be more precise when we go to the Mestalla. If we want to get into the Champions League quarter-finals, we have to play like this at the Mestalla too, prove we deserve to be there with a show of strength and win there too.

    "We are a team who create many chances, it could perhaps have had more goals for us and them tonight. We created our goals, they sort of received gifts from us on theirs. We got a bit euphoric and lost sight of our concentration at times.

    "We'll analyse now what we got wrong and learn from these errors, as we want to prove in the second leg that we deserve to be there.

    "We've got to score there too. We will do some defending, but I don't want us to go to Spain and just sit on a three-goal lead, suffering the entire time."

    Denis Cheryshev's 66th-minute consolation gave Valencia some hope ahead of the return leg on home soil and Valencia boss Albert Celades said: "This result doesn't really reflect what we saw on the pitch.

    "I think the difference was that Atalanta scored practically every chance they had, which is not an easy thing to do. We didn't score when we had the opportunities. Of course, we made mistakes. When you play at this level against a side like Atalanta, you cannot allow them all that space. We did create our opportunities, though, and that is important for the second leg.

    "I think we've got a chance of turning it around. The result is pretty clear tonight, but we'll see what happens at the Mestalla. We play well in our own stadium. We concede too many, especially away from home, there's no denying that. It won't be easy to overturn this situation, but we will try."

  • Messi labels Barcelona social media controversy 'strange' Messi labels Barcelona social media controversy 'strange'

    Lionel Messi insisted he was still in love with Barcelona, although the star admitted the recent social media controversy at the club was "strange".

    Messi is enjoying another fine season with the LaLiga giants, who are a point adrift of rivals and leaders Real Madrid.

    Contracted at Camp Nou until next year, Messi said he was happy in Barcelona, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "I love Barcelona although I miss Rosario very much. This is my house, I was here longer than in Argentina," he told Mundo Deportivo. 

    "I love Barcelona, the place where I live, Castelldefels, and I live a life that I like very much."

    However, it has been a tumultuous period for Barcelona, who sacked Ernesto Valverde in January and have also endured off-field problems.

    Barca earlier this week denied allegations made by Spanish radio network Cadena SER that they hired a company to damage the image of people associated with the club, including Messi, by spreading negative messages on social media platforms.

    Messi said: "I really find it strange that something like this has happened, but they also said that there would be evidence.

    "We will have to wait to see if it is true or not. We cannot say much and we will wait to see what happens with all of this.

    "I really thought it was a strange subject."

    Messi was also involved in a public row with Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal earlier this month.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.