Proud Simeone rues 'game-winning' Valverde red card in Supercopa loss

By Sports Desk January 12, 2020

Diego Simeone was proud of Atletico Madrid's performance in defeat to city rivals Real Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana final as he suggested Federico Valverde only earned the MVP award for his crucial red card.

Atletico lost 4-1 in a shoot-out on Sunday but had a huge chance to settle the decider with five minutes of extra time remaining following a goalless 90 minutes in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Alvaro Morata raced through on goal, only for Madrid midfielder Valverde to charge back to cynically hack down the striker, receiving his marching orders but preventing what appeared a certain goal just outside the area.

Valverde was named man of the match at King Abdullah Sport City Stadium, leaving head coach Simeone frustrated, even if he recognised the 21-year-old Uruguayan had little option but to commit the foul.

"The MVP award for Fede Valverde was for the red card because he won the game," Simeone said.

"The most important play of the game was this action of Valverde. That play deprived us of a chance to score a goal that would probably decide the game.

"It was the most important play and I told him not to worry, that anyone would do the same in that position. I would do it."

After beating Barcelona 3-2 in the semi-finals earlier in the week, Simeone saw plenty of positives to take from the revamped four-team tournament.

"I am proud to know that we competed," he told Movistar. "In the space of three or four days, we faced two of the best teams in the world, along with Manchester City, Juventus, Liverpool.

"And we competed well. That is what generates enthusiasm to continue working. I am proud of the team for their competitiveness. If we follow the team plan, we are competitive."

Related items

  • Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments Injured Roberto out of Barcelona's Napoli and Madrid assignments

    Sergi Roberto will miss Barcelona's Champions League tie with Napoli and the Clasico against Real Madrid after injuring one of the adductor muscles in his right thigh.

    The Spain international was an unused substitute as Barca thrashed Eibar 5-0 on Saturday but Roberto, who can play at right-back or in the centre of midfield, is not part of the squad for the last-16 first-leg fixture in Naples.

    Barca confirmed Roberto will miss around three to four weeks of action via a statement on their official website, which means he will also miss a vital top-of-the-table clash at Real Madrid next weekend.

    One of the quirkier additions on Barca's squad list for Napoli - albeit his name was accompanied by an asterisk - was Martin Braithwaite, who cannot play in the Champions League as he is not registered.

    Denmark forward Braithwaite signed in a controversial deal from Leganes this week after Barca were granted permission to make an emergency transfer outside of the window.

    Barca's victory over Eibar and Madrid's defeat at Levante on Saturday means Quique Setien's men sit top of LaLiga by two points. However, Roberto's injury is the latest to have limited Setien's options for upcoming fixture.

  • Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow

    Eden Hazard is set to miss Real Madrid's crucial clashes against Manchester City and Barcelona after suffering a hairline fracture to his right ankle.

    The Belgium forward limped off in the second half of Los Blancos' 1-0 defeat to Levante on Saturday and received treatment for the injury on the bench.

    Madrid have not said how much time Hazard will miss but reports in Spain suggest another long lay-off meaning the former Chelsea star will not face Manchester City in Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first-leg tie, or Barca in a crucial Clasico in LaLiga next weekend.

    A club statement read: "Following the tests carried out today [Sunday] on our player, Eden Hazard, by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a fracture to his right distal fibula.

    "His recovery will continue to be assessed."

    It marks another blow for Hazard in a debut campaign blighted by injury, the 29-year-old having only returned from another fractured right ankle sustained against Paris Saint-Germain in November last weekend.

    The start of Hazard's Madrid career was delayed by a hamstring problem he suffered in August and the timing of his latest setback could hardly have been worse.

    Madrid's loss to Levante means they have ceded top spot in LaLiga to Barca ahead of the Clasico, while their fight for a 14th European crown restarts in a huge clash with Pep Guardiola's City.

    Speaking after the game, Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane admitted the initial analysis of Hazard was not promising.

    "It doesn't look good," Zidane told reporters at a news conference."It can become weak where you've had an injury. It is a blow, let's see.

    "It's sore now but we'll see tomorrow when we do more tests."

    Hazard has made just 15 appearances for Madrid since joining in a big-money move from Chelsea last July.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow BREAKING NEWS: Hazard to miss Madrid's Man City and Barca clashes after suffering fresh ankle blow
    Eden Hazard is set to miss Real Madrid's crucial clashes against Manchester City and Barcelona after suffering a hairline fracture to his right ankle.
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.