Luis Suarez injured: Champions League, Clasico, Uruguay WCQs - the biggest games Barca's no. 9 will miss

By Sports Desk January 12, 2020

Related items

  • Fernandes in the dark over Man United transfer, says Silas Fernandes in the dark over Man United transfer, says Silas

    Sporting CP coach Silas understands Bruno Fernandes' desire to play in the Premier League but claimed the Portugal international does not know if he has played his last game for the Lions.

    Reports suggesting Fernandes is on the verge of completing a £50m (€58.6m) switch to Old Trafford led to speculation that the 25-year-old's appearance in Sporting's 2-0 defeat at home to Benfica on Friday would be his last.

    While Silas sounded resigned to losing the midfielder, he remained hopeful that he may be able to select him for his side's Taca da Liga clash with Braga on Tuesday.

    "Bruno does the work of two or three players. I would prefer that he not leave," Silas told reporters.

    "We have to understand the ambition of the player, who prefers to play in a league superior to ours. There has been talk in the English league, but who wouldn't like to play there?

    "Bruno deserves everything and deserves to test himself in a league like this. If he's one of the best, he deserves to be there."

    Fernandes did not enjoy the best of games in the Lisbon derby, with Benfica's Rafa Silva stealing the limelight by scoring a brace in the last 20 minutes to secure victory for the Primeira Liga leaders.

    Sporting are fourth in the table and Fernandes' eight goals in 16 league appearances have been vital to his side's push for a top-four finish this season.

    Asked whether he believed Fernandes had played his last game for Sporting, Silas said: "I hope not. So far we don't know, nor does Bruno know.

    "We will try to keep him for more games, but it's not up to us.

    "He deserves the best championship in the world. The only wish I have is the best for him."

  • UFC 246: Conor McGregor v Donald Cerrone - The Notorious' greatest trash talk UFC 246: Conor McGregor v Donald Cerrone - The Notorious' greatest trash talk

    Conor McGregor certainly packs a punch inside the octagon but with his quick thinking and acid tongue he also does outside of it.

    The Irishman has earned hordes of fans the world over for his technical brilliance and his verbal put-downs of opponents and fellow UFC fighters.

    On Saturday, McGregor returns from a 15-month UFC hiatus – having been submitted by Khabib Nurmagomedov in his previous bout – to face Donald Cerrone.

    Ahead of his showdown with 'Cowboy', we take a look back at some of the best trash talk from 'The Notorious'.

     

    I RUN THIS WHOLE SHIP!

    Ahead of his scrap with Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight belt at UFC 205 in November 2016, McGregor had some choice words for those who felt he received preferential treatment from owner Dana White.

    "I run this whole thing. I run New York. I run this whole ship. Without me none of this happens. I run this whole s***. Everyone in this game does what they're f****** told except for me and rightly f****** so. If I say you're on the prelims, you're on the f****** prelims. If I say main event, it's the f****** main event."

    HIS WIFE AND KIDS WON'T RECOGNISE HIM!

    Alvarez himself did not escape McGregor's ire, with the Irishman making some pretty gruesome promises.

    "I'm going to toy with this man. I will rearrange his facial structure. His wife and kids won't recognise him again. His friends will know he's not the same after this contest. You're never, ever going to be the same. Your kids are going to beg, 'Daddy, please don't go again!'"

    WHO THE F*** IS THAT GUY?!

    When McGregor was asked prior to facing Alvarez who his biggest rival is, Jeremy Stephens called out: "Right here, the real hardest-hitting 145-pounder, right here." McGregor replied with a brutally simple six-word put-down.

    "Who the f*** is that guy?!"

    I'D LIKE TO APOLOGISE…TO ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!

    McGregor kept his word to defeat Alvarez and become the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two divisions at the same time. His post-fight interview produced this absolute gem.

    "I've ridiculed everyone on the roster, I just want to say from the bottom of my heart, I'd like to take this chance to apologise…to absolutely nobody!"

    I CAN MAKE YOU RICH, I'LL CHANGE YOUR BUM LIFE!

    Back in September 2015 at a 'Go Big' news conference, the Irishman launched one of his most famous tirades. Replying to comments from Rafael dos Anjos, who was promoting a fight with Cerrone, he bragged about the attention he brings to UFC.

    "I can make you rich. I'll change your bum life. You fight me, it's a celebration. When you sign to fight me, it's a celebration. You ring back home, you ring your wife, 'Baby, we've done it. We're rich baby. Conor McGregor made us rich. Break out the red panties.'”

    YOU'RE STIFF AS A BOARD!

    At the same media event, McGregor replied to Cerrone's assertion he could not cut it at 155lbs.

    "You're too slow and you're too stiff. You're stiff as a board and I'd snap you in half, and that's it. I see stiffness when I look in the 155-pound division...slow, stiff, I feel like they're stuck in the mud almost. Yee-haw!"

    I COULD BUY AND SELL YOU A HUNDRED TIMES OVER

    The bad blood between McGregor and Nate Diaz drew some of the most heated comments from the Irishman.

    "My socks are worth more than the suit you had on, you little bum. You're a broke b****. I could buy and sell you a hundred times over."

    THE KING IS BACK!

    After avenging his loss to Diaz by winning the return fight at UFC 202, McGregor had a simple message for his detractors.

    "Surprise, surprise, motherf******! The king is back!”

    I NEED TO FEED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IN THE GAME

    McGregor was named Fighter of the Year for 2015. He was typically…let's say gracious...with his speech when accepting the award.

    "I need to feed all you bums. I need to feed every single one of you in the game so I've got to keep working. Because you bums don't work."

  • Rumour Has It: Barca, Juve in Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap talks Rumour Has It: Barca, Juve in Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap talks

    Barcelona and Juventus are in talks about a possible swap deal involving Ivan Rakitic and Federico Bernardeschi.

    Rakitic was linked with an exit from Camp Nou during the close season, but ended up staying at Barca.

    But he could be on his way to Turin and Bernardeschi may be heading in the opposite direction.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA, JUVE IN RAKITIC-BERNARDESCHI SWAP TALKS

    Barcelona and Juventus are discussing a possible swap deal involving Rakitic and Bernardeschi, according to AS.

    The report says Rakitic – who has made just six LaLiga starts this season – has already agreed personal terms with the Serie A giants.

    However, the clubs are yet to reach an agreement, with Rakitic six years older than Italy international Bernardeschi.

    ROUND-UP

    - There is still work to be done if Bruno Fernandes is to find his way to Manchester United. The Daily Mail and The Sun report United want to pay Sporting CP £34million (€39.9m) with a further £25.5m (€29.9m) in add-ons, including bonuses for the English club winning the Premier League and Champions League.

    - Atletico Madrid are not giving up on trying to land Edinson Cavani in this window. The LaLiga side are still eyeing a move for the Paris Saint-Germain forward, according to Marca, although they are hoping to negotiate a lower price than the €30m the Ligue 1 club are reportedly wanting.

    - The wait continues for Inter as they try to sign Christian Eriksen. CalcioMercato reports Eriksen's agent Martin Schoots is scheduled to meet Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy in London next week as the midfielder tries to get his move to the Serie A giants.

    - Chelsea are favourites to sign RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner ahead of the 2020-21 season, according to The Sun, but it may take a £68m (€79.8m) deal to land the 23-year-old.

    - Arsenal are set for talks with Athletico Paranaense to negotiate a deal for midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, according to Globo Esporte.

    - Staying at Arsenal and France Football reports Paris Saint-Germain left-back Layvin Kurzawa has agreed to join the Premier League club for free at season's end.

    - Javier Hernandez will become one of the highest paid players in MLS. Sports Illustrated reports LA Galaxy will pay Sevilla $9.4m (€8.5m) for the forward, who is set to earn $6m annually, with the potential for that to rise due to bonuses.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.