EPL

It looked nasty - Arteta has no complaints over Aubameyang's red card

By Sports Desk January 11, 2020

Mikel Arteta concedes Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's challenge on Max Meyer in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace "looked nasty" but says there was no intention to cause injury.

The Gabon international received his marching orders in the 67th minute after a VAR review upgraded his initial yellow card to a straight red following his ugly lunge on the Palace midfielder.

Aubameyang had earlier given the Gunners a 12th-minute lead with his 14th Premier League goal of the campaign before Jordan Ayew ensured a share of the spoils with a deflected effort nine minutes into the second half.

Meyer was substituted immediately after the incident, but Arteta insists his player did not intend to injure the German.

"I just watched it and it looked nasty, to be fair," he told a media conference. "Knowing Auba, there's no intention to make such a tackle.

"Hopefully he hasn't been injured and we are sorry for that. The decision was made and we have to accept it."

Despite their numerical disadvantage, Arsenal came close to snatching all three points in the closing stages when Nicolas Pepe fired against the post.

While Arteta was happy with how his side responded to going down to 10 men, he expressed his frustration that Palace were allowed to find their way back into the game.

"I was pleased with how we started the game, with the way we dominated the first half," he added.

"But obviously after the break we knew they were going to push; they had more bodies forward and they put us under pressure more.

"We started to give bad free-kicks away and that's something that we have to avoid. Then we switched off for the goal. We completely switched off and allowed them to put the cross in. We turned and conceded the deflection, and I was very disappointed with that.

"After that, I must say that we reacted really well again after conceding the goal. After Auba's red card, we reacted even better in my opinion."

Palace manager Roy Hodgson agreed with Arteta's assessment that there was no malice in Aubameyang's challenge, but he did question why it took the officials so long to reach their decision.

"I knew it was a bad challenge," he said. "I'm not accusing Aubameyang of trying to injure him but when I saw it, it's no doubt that it's a red card. I was surprised it took so long to make the decision.

“He [Meyer] was upbeat after the game but we will have to wait until Monday to see if he can play in the next game."

Related items

  • Isco wants to try another league – agent Isco wants to try another league – agent

    Isco wants an exit from Real Madrid and LaLiga, according to his agent.

    The 28-year-old, who is contracted at Madrid until 2022, has struggled for game time, making just three league starts so far this season.

    Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City have been linked with the 38-time Spain international, who has been at Madrid since 2013.

    His agent and father, Francisco Alarcon, said Isco was seeking a move, but would have no problems staying at Madrid.

    "Right now, we have no offers, but Isco wants to try another league," he told Cadena SER on Monday.

    He added: "Staying in Madrid would not be a problem."

    Isco has won two LaLiga titles and four Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies since joining Madrid from Malaga.

    However, he last made at least 20 league starts in a single campaign in 2017-18.

  • Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo insisted Cristiano Ronaldo does not receive any special treatment at the Serie A giants.

    Ronaldo has made a fine start to the season for Juve, scoring eight goals in his first six games.

    His brace guided Juve past Cagliari 2-0 on Saturday, and Ronaldo has scored 29 of Juve's 59 Serie A goals in 2020.

    Ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash against Ferencvaros, Pirlo discussed Ronaldo – and said the five-time Ballon d'Or winner was treated like any other player.

    "I haven't challenged [Ronaldo] on set-pieces yet. I treat him like I treat all the other players. I'm always available on and off the pitch," he told a news conference.

    "It's easy to have a good relationship between humble people. I'm like that.

    "I behave with him – a champion – like I do with [Gianluca] Frabotta or [Manolo] Portanova, who are two young players.

    "I do the same things I was used to doing when I was a player."

    All eight of Ronaldo's Serie A goals this season have come from inside the box, while he has converted 75 per cent of his big chances.

    Ahead of hosting Ferencvaros, Juventus are second in Group G, three points adrift of Barcelona.

  • I haven't been at my best – Griezmann I haven't been at my best – Griezmann

    Antoine Griezmann admitted he was yet to get to his best at Barcelona and said he needed more time.

    Griezmann has struggled to make his mark at Barca since arriving from Atletico Madrid for €120million last year.

    The forward has scored just 17 goals in 58 games in all competitions for the LaLiga giants, who are struggling in 13th in the table.

    Griezmann said he was prepared to accept criticism of his performances, but highlighted it had been a difficult period for the club.

    "I accept them because I know that we are not seeing the best Griezmann," he told Movistar on Monday.

    He added: "In a year and a half I have had three coaches ... that's not easy. I need time to adapt to my colleagues and they to me, and on top of system changes.

    "In addition, the candidates for the presidency also talk about me. I don't think it's the best thing for me for them to talk about whether or not I'm a good signing."

    Griezmann has scored two goals and provided one assist in eight LaLiga games so far this season.

    His big chance conversion (50 per cent) is at its highest since 2017-18, when it was 59.3 per cent and he netted 19 league goals for Atletico Madrid.

    However, his involvement at Barca compared to Atletico is down. Only once during five seasons at Atletico – in 2014-15 – did he have fewer successful passes per 90 minutes than so far this season (28.4). His 43.4 touches per 90 this campaign are lower than he had in any of his seasons at Atletico.

    Griezmann has also created just 0.7 chances per 90 minutes in LaLiga in 2020-21, and not once did he have a lower figure at Atletico.

    Coming off a 1-0 loss to Atletico, Barcelona visit Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Tuesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.