Atletico achieved the 'almost impossible' in Barcelona win, says Simeone

By Sports Desk January 09, 2020

Diego Simeone hailed Atletico Madrid for achieving the "almost impossible" to overcome Barcelona in the Supercopa de Espana semi-finals.

Atletico stunned Barca with two goals in the final nine minutes in a 3-2 victory in Saudi Arabia on Thursday.

Alvaro Morata's penalty and Angel Correa's strike saw Atletico into the final against rivals Real Madrid and the comeback was labelled as close to impossible by head coach Simeone.

"I think we must live it with calmness, that we qualified for the final. It is important for the supporters, it is important for the club, it is important for the players," he told a news conference.

"It was a very tough game against one of the best teams in the world. They are the best when it comes to possession, and to attack with it.

"We suffered quite a lot during the first half. I think the second half was different, they kept their intensity and had chances until the 75tth minute, when something appeared that will always distinguish Atletico Madrid – the heart, the strength and the belief.

"We faced a difficult situation, almost impossible. But, we had the feeling that if we could get an equaliser, we could win the game, and that's what happened."

Atletico face another huge test in the final, taking on Real Madrid in Jeddah on Sunday.

Simeone paid tribute to Atletico's rivals and their boss, Zinedine Zidane, ahead of the clash.

"I don't have any doubt that Zidane is a fantastic manager, suitable for Real Madrid," he said.

"The results speak for themselves. They have changed since the beginning of the season and that's reflected on the pitch despite the absence of [Eden] Hazard, [Karim] Benzema and [Gareth] Bale.

"They have five midfielders on the pitch. They can do it if they move and pass accurately. They showed this the other day [against Valencia] with a great performance.

"We'll face a potent and strong team as it is with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City, Liverpool."

Related items

  • Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

    Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

    Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

    According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

    The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

    Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

  • Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus

    Jose Gimenez has tested positive for coronavirus, Atletico Madrid have confirmed.

    The Uruguay defender was the only player from Monday's tests to return a positive result, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Gimenez is now isolating at home, with Atletico confirming LaLiga's protocol has been implemented and the players will complete the next training session individually.

    Head coach Diego Simeone also tested positive for the virus earlier this month and underwent a period of isolation, though he did not display any symptoms.

    Atletico are due to start their new season at home to Granada at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.

    Simeone's men finished third in a disrupted 2019-20 campaign, while they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-finals stage by RB Leipzig.

  • Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives

    Tottenham could be given a bye to the EFL Cup fourth round after opponents Leyton Orient announced a spate of positive coronavirus tests, leading to Tuesday's clash being called off.

    Orient were set to welcome Jose Mourinho's men to Brisbane Road for a third-round tie, but the League Two club confirmed on Monday that "a number of our first-team squad have tested positive for COVID-19".

    The club's stadium and training ground have been closed until further notice, with reports that up 18 players and staff had been infected.

    Confirmation the game would not go ahead on the scheduled date came just two hours before the intended kick-off time of 1800 (local time).

    "Tonight's Carabao Cup match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled," read an EFL statement.

    "Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the decision not to play tonight's game and a further update will be provided in due course. 

    "Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s COVID-19 secure procedures with the view to reopening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible."

    It is a bitter blow for Orient, who were set to earn a windfall from the game being televised, with Ross Embleton's men having beaten Forest Green Rovers and Plymouth Argyle to reach round three.

    The news also dims any prospect of a return to Orient for former loanee Harry Kane, the Spurs and England striker who struck a deal to sponsor the club's home shirts this season.

    The fixture would also have been significant for the fact that Justin Edinburgh played for Spurs and was in charge at Orient when he passed away in June last year following a cardiac arrest.

    Spurs are now afford an added rest ahead of Thursday's Europa League qualifying match against Shkendija in Macedonia.

    Sunday's 5-2 win at Southampton came after Gareth Bale's loan signing was confirmed, providing a much-needed boost to a side who started the season with a 1-0 home loss to Everton.

    The EFL Cup is the last piece of silverware Spurs got their hands on, lifting the trophy back in 2007-08, when Jonathan Woodgate was the unlikely match-winner in a 2-1 victory over Chelsea at Wembley.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.