Valverde prefers previous format of Supercopa

By Sports Desk January 08, 2020

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde is yet to be convinced by the changes made to the Supercopa de Espana, conceding he prefers the previous format.

The Supercopa de Espana was traditionally a two-legged affair played between the winners of LaLiga and the Copa del Rey at the beginning of the season, but following last term's one-off meeting between Barca and Sevilla in Tangier, Morocco, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) went ahead with a full revamp.

Instead of just two teams being involved, the Supercopa has been expanded to also include the runners-up from LaLiga and the Copa – meaning Barca and Valencia are joined by Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. It is also set to be hosted in Saudi Arabia for the next three editions.

Many have criticised RFEF's decision to take the competition to Saudi Arabia and Valverde suggested he favours the old format.

"It is a different format than we are used to," Valverde said ahead of Barca's semi-final against Atletico on Thursday.

"It's a final match and we approach it as a league game, knowing that we are looking for victory and we know how difficult it is to play against Atleti.

"We already saw it in the league, which we solved in the end. If they [the authorities] give me a choice, I prefer the previous format.

"It has always been the first title of the season, the game that opens the season, and I thought it was good. The Supercopa format has been changed and we will see how it is.

"We must bear in mind that the football we are involved in is an industry, sources of income are sought and in the same way that there are special connotations in this country, there are also in Morocco, where we played last year."

Barca's preparations for Thursday's match have not gone particularly well, however, as Wednesday's news conference was delayed significantly after their team bus got lost in Jeddah.

Valverde was due to speak at Al-Ittihad Sport City, but their driver set off for the King Abdullah Sports City Stadium, where the two semi-finals – the first of which is set for Wednesday – will take place.

Their bus then became lost in traffic between the two venues, which are approximately 40 miles apart.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Declan Rice eyeing Man Utd move Rumour Has It: Declan Rice eyeing Man Utd move

    Declan Rice may be looking to make a move to Manchester United from resurgent West Ham. 

    The 22-year-old midfielder talked to United players during last month's international break as England won their opening three World Cup qualifiers.

    The Red Devils could be in need of midfield help if Paul Pogba leaves at the end of the season.

     

    TOP STORY - RICE TO RED DEVILS

    England international Declan Rice is interested in swapping West Ham for Manchester United, the Manchester Evening News reports. 

    During the recent international break, he spoke with Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw about the atmosphere at the club. 

    Rice is under contract with the Hammers through to 2024 but could be prised away for the right price. 

    David Moyes has said Rice could net £100 million for the London club. 

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona have made prolific Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland their primary transfer target, according to Marca. Barca are willing to wait until the end of next season to get their man.

    - Brest defender Romain Perraud has the attention of Leeds United and Lyon, according to the Daily Mail. Perraud would shore up the defence of either club while serving as a potential asset going forward; he has three goals and six assists this season.

    - Goal reports Jesse Lingard is yet to decide whether he wants to make West Ham his permanent home as he continues to enjoy a stunning spell on loan from Manchester United.

    - Lyon center back and Danish international Joachim Andersen, currently on loan to Fulham, is drawing interest from Tottenham and Manchester United, B.T. reports, with Chelsea, Leicester City and Crystal Palace also potential destinations.

    Charles De Ketelaere may be on the move from Bruges, with Milan and Atalanta both potential landing spots, according to Calciomercato. 

  • Adelaide United 3-1 Macarthur: Reds into second after stylish victory Adelaide United 3-1 Macarthur: Reds into second after stylish victory

    Adelaide United moved into second in the A-League after a 3-1 win over Macarthur at Coopers Stadium on Wednesday.

    The Reds, beaten 4-0 in the previous meeting on February 12, produced a far slicker performance as they made it six wins out of eight at home.

    Tomi Juric headed in Craig Goodwin's cross after 15 minutes of Adelaide dominance before Matt Derbyshire's composed finish levelled the scores just past the half-hour mark.

    Goodwin restored the hosts' lead 72 minutes in, converting from the spot after being fouled by Lachlan Rose, before Ben Halloran made certain of the points with the goal of the game, a sublime backheel from Joshua Cavallo's delivery.

    Adelaide are just a point behind Central Coast Mariners at the top of the table, while Macarthur are fifth.

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd in Ronaldo-Pogba swap deal with Juventus Rumour Has It: Man Utd in Ronaldo-Pogba swap deal with Juventus

    Cristiano Ronaldo's future beyond this season has been a hot topic of discussion.

    The 36-year-old Portuguese forward appears set to exit Juventus after three seasons in Turin, despite being contracted for another year.

    Ronaldo has been linked with former club Real Madrid and a switch to the United States, but there may be another option.

     

    TOP STORY – RONALDO IN UTD-JUVE SWAP DEAL

    Manchester United want to sign Cristiano Ronaldo this off-season and would consider a swap deal with Juventus for Paul Pogba, according to Calciomercato.

    Ronaldo played for United from 2003 to 2009 in the earlier part of his career, making almost 300 appearances for the Red Devils before his blockbuster move to Real Madrid.

    Pogba, who spent time at Juventus from 2012 to 2016, has also been the subject of transfer speculation.

    Juventus have this week been linked with a mega swap deal with United as they look for a transfer shake-up this off-season.

    ROUND-UP

    - The Independent reports Harry Kane's preference, if he was to leave Tottenham, is to remain in England and join either United or Manchester City.

    - Juve forward Paulo Dybala has attracted interest from Premier League pair United and Chelsea, claims Tuttosport.

    - United are also keen on an off-season move for Madrid defender Raphael Varane, according to The Mail. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United have also been linked with Madrid captain Sergio Ramos, RB Leipzig centre-back Ibrahima Konate, Sevilla star Jules Kounde and Villarreal defender Pau Torres.

    - The Daily Mail reports Bayern Munich are bullish they can sign Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland as Robert Lewandowski's heir if he remains in Germany for one more season amid widespread interest this upcoming off-season. Haaland has been heavily linked with City, United, Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.

    - Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira is wanted by Argentine giants Boca Juniors, reports TyC Sports. Torreira is currently on loan at Atletico Madrid.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.