EPL

Tottenham midfielder Sissoko out for three months

By Sports Desk January 07, 2020

Tottenham midfielder Moussa Sissoko is expected to be out for at least three months after undergoing knee surgery.

The France international suffered medial collateral ligament damage in the 1-0 Premier League defeat to Southampton on January 1 and missed the 1-1 FA Cup draw with Middlesbrough last Sunday.

Spurs expect the 30-year-old to be unable to resume training until the beginning of April.

"Following a clinical assessment and scans, Moussa Sissoko has today (Tuesday) undergone surgery to the medial collateral ligament in his right knee," Spurs said in a statement.

"The France international sustained the injury in our fixture against Southampton, resulting in him missing our recent FA Cup tie at Middlesbrough.

"Our medical staff will monitor Moussa's recovery before he commences rehabilitation with a view to returning to training in early April."

Sissoko has made 26 appearances for Spurs in all competitions this season, scoring in the league wins over Bournemouth and Burnley.

His injury could make him a doubt for Didier Deschamps' France squad for Euro 2020, with the world champions beginning their campaign against Germany in Munich on June 16.

The loss of Sissoko could also impact Spurs' plans during the January transfer window, with three other midfielders linked to moves away from north London.

Christian Eriksen is reportedly a target for Inter, while Harry Winks is said to be of interest to Manchester City and Manchester United and Victor Wanyama had been expected to leave after making just four appearances all season.

However, head coach Jose Mourinho could be reticent to let too many midfielders leave while Sissoko is unavailable, unless at least one replacement can be brought in.

Related items

  • Willian's new club to be confirmed soon as Arsenal links persist Willian's new club to be confirmed soon as Arsenal links persist

    Willian's agent Kia Joorabchian claims he already knows which club the Brazilian will join following his departure from Chelsea, with persistent reports suggesting he is Arsenal-bound.

    The 32-year-old winger became a free agent on Sunday when his Chelsea contract expired – the two parties unable to come to an agreement on fresh terms.

    Chelsea were reported to have offered him a new two-year deal, but media speculation claims Willian was hoping for an extra 12 months.

    The Brazil international had never made a secret of his desire to remain in London regardless of staying at Chelsea, and Arsenal have been linked as a potential destination for many months.

    Confirmation of a move to Arsenal is said to be close, as it is even claimed he has undergone a medical, though Joorabchian kept his cards close to his chest when discussing Willian on Thursday.

    "He is a free player. He had a fantastic seven years at Chelsea," he said during an appearance on TalkSPORT.

    "He has been under various managers, he has won multiple trophies. He had a fantastic relationship with Frank [Lampard] and he respected Frank a lot.

    "But like every cycle, I think that particular cycle has come to a moment where it is a good moment to leave.

    "At the moment, just for now, I can't say where he is going to go. It won't be long before we announce it. We know where he is going."

    Joorabchian's relationship with Arsenal has come under scrutiny particularly in the past year, with the highly influential agent seen in the directors' box at their Emirates Stadium and having played a role in several of their transfer dealings.

    Additionally, Joorabchian has also taken to speaking openly about Arsenal's recruitment policies, and he did so again, this time taking aim at former sporting director Sven Mislintat, who left in February 2019.

    "People forget about the previous guy, Sven," he said. "He made a bunch of, I don't like to use the word, but, c***-ups with players he brought in at very, very large numbers."

    One player Joorabchian insists he is not taking to Arsenal is Joelson Fernandes, however. The young Sporting CP winger has reportedly attracted interest from the Gunners, but the agent dismissed those links.

    "He is a young phenomenal talent, but we have never, ever spoken to him about Arsenal," Joorabchian continued.

    "I have probably seen 25 articles about him and Arsenal. It is so untrue because Arsenal have never even spoken about him. We haven't even mentioned him to Arsenal."

  • FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden

    The Football Association has announced there will be no replays in the FA Cup next season.

    With the coronavirus pandemic having led to an adjusted schedule for 2020-21, the FA has taken the decision to scrap replays in order to ease the pressure on clubs.

    Qualification for England's major cup competition will begin on September 1, with the first round proper taking place in November.

    Premier League clubs will enter as usual in the third round, to be played in early January, with the final scheduled for May 15, 2021.

    The FA also announced that, after record prize funds for the last two seasons, the reward money has gone back to the level it was in 2017-18, due to the financial impact of COVID-19.

  • Newcastle Jets 3-0 Wellington Phoenix: Top-two hopes over for Talay's men Newcastle Jets 3-0 Wellington Phoenix: Top-two hopes over for Talay's men

    Wellington Phoenix's hopes of advancing directly to the A-League semi-finals were dashed by a 3-0 loss to Newcastle Jets on Thursday.

    The Phoenix's failure to win their final game of the regular season means they will go into the elimination finals, with Melbourne City guaranteed to finish second.

    Wellington dominated the first half but were unable to find a way past the Jets' debutant goalkeeper Noah James, and Nick Fitzgerald's deflected shot gave Newcastle the lead against the run of play on the stroke of half-time.

    Stefan Marinovic made a couple of good saves before substitute Bernie Ibini drilled into the bottom-right corner following a swift Jets break in the 76th minute.

    Wellington were unfortunate not to get a penalty when Callan Elliot went down under pressure from Connor O'Toole, and Newcastle had their second goal in three minutes when Jason Hoffman slammed Dimitri Petratos' backheel in off the underside of the bar.

    The Jets consequently finish the season with a five-game unbeaten run, which included victories over each of the top three, while Ufuk Talay's Phoenix head into the Finals winless in four.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.