EPL

Solskjaer never doubted ability to manage Man Utd

By Sports Desk December 14, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted he never doubted his ability to manage Manchester United despite criticism during his tenure.

United are on a five-match unbeaten run in the Premier League and sit sixth in the table ahead of hosting Everton on Sunday.

Solskjaer has faced criticism since replacing Jose Mourinho in December last year, but recent wins over Tottenham and Manchester City have silenced the Norwegian's doubters.

The United manager said he always believed in his own ability to deliver at Old Trafford.

"I always had the belief that I could manage this club. I wouldn't have taken the job if I had felt I couldn't do it because I owe Manchester United honesty," Solskjaer told UK media, via the Mirror.

"Football wise, I think I can hold my own when it comes to tactics and stuff, but I have a great staff to help me. It's not all about me.

"I'm so glad I've got Michael Carrick, Mike Phelan and Kieran McKenna and I think I make them feel that I can do the job here and that's happening.

"That's why I was never afraid of not being able to handle this. I always knew I could.

"It's about treating people the right way and, for me, managing United is treating the staff, the players, anyone the same. It doesn't matter which club I'm at, that's just my personality."

A win over Everton on Sunday would lift United back into fifth and just two points behind fourth-placed Chelsea.

Related items

  • Guardiola uninterested in Liverpool v Man Utd as Reds are so far clear Guardiola uninterested in Liverpool v Man Utd as Reds are so far clear

    Pep Guardiola feels it is pointless rooting for Manchester United at Anfield this weekend given Liverpool's huge advantage over Manchester City.

    Jurgen Klopp's unbeaten Reds host United - the only side to take points off them in the Premier League this season - on Sunday in a blockbuster encounter that is sure to be of interest to fans across the world.

    Those of a City persuasion are in the unenviable position of knowing a victory for their cross-city rivals would be beneficial to Guardiola's side.

    Yet, given the Reds would still be 11 points clear with a game in hand if they lose and City beat Crystal Palace at home on Saturday, Guardiola sees little point in even paying attention to how Liverpool are faring.

    Asked whether he would be supporting United on Sunday, Guardiola replied: "Being so far away from [Liverpool], I think it's not interesting to look a little bit [at] what Liverpool does.

    "It's better to focus on what we can improve for the rest of this season in all competitions, in the Premier League as well, and prepare the next one."

    While they have not been able to gain on Liverpool given the relentless pace of Klopp's men, City have enjoyed an upturn in recent weeks, winning nine of their previous 10 games in all competitions.

    Guardiola, who is under contract at the Etihad Stadium until 2021, has already stated he would like to stay on next season and the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss stressed the only way he could depart is if the club sack him.

    "Unless they sack me, I'm going to stay another year here," he added.

    "I don't have to announce, I have a contract. I'm going to stay, 100 per cent.

    "[Unless] they don't like it and say, 'We want to change the manager.' But for sure 100 per cent I'm going to stay here next season, not because we won the last two games, or the last month we are playing a little bit better.

    "Even if it was going bad or not qualifying for the Champions League, I'm not going to give up.

    "The managers have good moments and bad moments, not all the managers win all the time. In the bad times we can say we are bad because we've lost some games so what can we do to get better? So, it's simple."

  • Chelsea boss Lampard out to avoid 'knee-jerk' transfers in January Chelsea boss Lampard out to avoid 'knee-jerk' transfers in January

    Frank Lampard wants to avoid any "knee-jerk" transfers during this window, though he is open to adding to Chelsea's squad if a suitable player is available.

    Chelsea were unable to sign any players during the off-season, with the club serving a transfer ban.

    Subsequently, Lampard relied on the club's younger players to come through and prove their worth in the first team and, as a result, Mason Mount, Reece James, Fikayo Tomori and leading scorer Tammy Abraham have all impressed.

    The transfer ban was initially due to run until the end of the season but was lifted ahead of the January window.

    Lampard, though, is adamant he will not bring in players for the sake of it, with fourth-placed Chelsea sitting five points clear of Manchester United in fifth.

    "I don't want to comment on those deals because I think it's easy with hindsight," Lampard told a news conference when asked about the club's previous January signings that failed to live up to expectations, such as Alexandre Pato and Gonzalo Higuain.

    "The players you mentioned there were top players. I think the idea of January being a time to buy players, it's difficult for everybody – for players coming in, especially if they're coming from a different league, for the club and for the settlement of the group.

    "I think that's why we have to think ultra-carefully, and I do care and consider the club and where we're going. I don't want to make some knee-jerk reaction to say, 'Here's my first big signing'. 

    "No, I want to do the right thing for the club. If I do it, I'll try and consider all things. I will always be in communication with the club."

    Lampard – who also confirmed Ross Barkley will not be leaving Chelsea this month – did acknowledge the Blues shall make additions if all parts of the deal fit, however.

    "Hopefully it's the best thing for us. Whether that's more of a short-term option or a long-term option, we'll also have to consider," Lampard added.

    "I think I should be [prepared for no signings], because that's where we're at, at the moment. If it feels right for us, then we'll do it."

  • Barkley's 'spot on' reaction to off-field incidents impresses Lampard Barkley's 'spot on' reaction to off-field incidents impresses Lampard

    Ross Barkley's reaction to a difficult 2019-20 season has been "spot on", according to Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard.

    England international Barkley made 27 Premier League appearances for Maurizio Sarri in the previous campaign but has featured in the top flight just seven times under Lampard.

    The 26-year-old, who the Blues boss insisted will not be leaving Stamford Bridge in January amid reported interest from West Ham, sustained a foot injury in October that sidelined him for two months.

    He was also criticised by Lampard after a pair of videos emerged – one of him arguing over spilt chips with a taxi driver in Liverpool and another of him dancing topless in a Dubai nightclub.

    However, Barkley scored in the 2-0 FA Cup third-round win against Nottingham Forest on January 5 and completed the 90 minutes against Burnley, just the second time he has done so in the Premier League this season.

    "There have been a couple of issues this year with Ross. He knows that and I know that," said Lampard.

    "I think his training, in the last month particularly, has been absolutely focused. And let's factor in the injury he had which was really niggly. It was a difficult one for him because he was one foot in training and one foot out.

    "He was training at a certain per cent to show he was there, but he clearly wasn't. I respected that because he was trying.

    "Now that's cleared up and he is showing his qualities, particularly against Burnley. So that's great news for all of us.

    "We had a couple of chats around those things. As I said at the time, I really like Ross and in my career, I had moments where I did things that I slightly regretted.  It's what you do to get out of them that's really important. 

    "And Ross' reaction in the past month has been spot on, in terms of how he is around the place. I'm a great believer in that how you train relates to how you play, and he has shown that."

    Lampard acknowledged the modern era makes it difficult for off-field incidents to go unnoticed but believes professionalism is of paramount importance.

    "My biggest concern was not really the bag of chips [in the Liverpool taxi incident], it was more the fact that we were training the next day," said the Blues boss.

    "That is exactly where I see it and Ross knows that and I am not one to tell my lads, 'Don't have a bag of chips, don't have a few beers after you win a game.'

    "Just make sure that when you think about the big scheme [of things], you do it with the idea you have to train and perform at a level and, as the game has moved forward and the speed and intensity of it even more so from my day and from eras gone by, the players have to be absolutely tip-top or this game will find you out.

    "That's not just a thing to Ross, that is to all the players about how they live their life."

    Barkley's return to the starting line-up was aided by a hamstring injury to N'Golo Kante, but the France international could make his first appearance since January 1 against Newcastle United on Saturday.

    "He's had a few issues through the week. I think it's a decision I have to make with absolute certainty but at the minute it looks like he's good to go," added Lampard.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.