Klopp hits out at Champions League expansion talk and smarts at Club World Cup organisation

By Sports Desk December 14, 2019

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has revealed his opposition to suggestions the Champions League should expand in a move that could mean more games for Europe's elite teams.

According to a Daily Mail report, leading Premier League clubs including Liverpool are backing plans that could see the Champions League significantly restructured.

The group stage could grow from a six-match commitment to 10 games per team, the British newspaper said. Such a step could boost earnings potential but also have an impact on existing domestic football schedules.

Klopp's team lead the Premier League, and in the coming week they head to Qatar to compete in the Club World Cup, after earning a place in that event by winning the Champions League.

Injuries are beginning to take a toll at Anfield, with Georginio Wijnaldum joining the casualty list on Saturday when he suffered a muscle problem in the 2-0 win over Watford.

One Liverpool team will face Aston Villa in the EFL Cup on Tuesday, before another plays Monterrey at the Club World Cup a day later.

"The fixtures are like they are. You all like watching us suffering - that's how it is," Klopp said. "You look a little bit concerned, but at the end nobody cares really."

He added: "Today I read an article [saying that] the top clubs want to do more games in the Champions League or whatever. I am not involved in these plans. So that's absolute b******s as well.

"That's how it is. We can talk about everything but we have to cut off games, not be putting more in.

"Until then we have to do what we do and we will do that and we are quite positive about it.

"We need each point we can get because it's a tough and long season. You [the media] can make early judgements... but we can't. We just have to recover and play the next game."

Klopp dismissed the idea his team were off their game against Watford, who had enough chances to win the match rather than leave empty-handed in Nigel Pearson's first game as Hornets manager.

"No, just a difficult game. It was not an off-day," Klopp said. "We scored sensational goals.

"It was just a difficult game and I'm completely fine with that."

Klopp also cast a questioning look at the arrangements in place for FIFA's Club World Cup.

The opening matches have been played at Doha's Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, but all games from now on will be contested at the city's Khalifa International Stadium, with five fixtures due to be played on the same pitch in five days.

That scenario has come about because FIFA said in early December that the Education City Stadium, which had been due to host Liverpool's semi-final against Monterrey, plus the third-place play-off and final, was not ready in time to stage games at the tournament.

That venue is being built primarily for the 2022 World Cup.

Klopp recognised Liverpool would be going into a warmer climate after their seven-hour flight to the Middle East, but added: "I think it's raining there. Perhaps it doesn't help the pitch - the one pitch we are playing all on ... it's sensationally good organisation - where all the games are on one pitch and it's raining.

"I'm not sure if the people in Qatar are used to a lot of rain. We will see how the pitch will be. That's a bit of a problem."

Related items

  • Lukaku could miss Real Madrid clash as Inter striker suffers thigh injury Lukaku could miss Real Madrid clash as Inter striker suffers thigh injury

    Romelu Lukaku could miss Inter's Champions League clash with Real Madrid after suffering a thigh injury.

    The Nerazzurri striker went for an MRI scan after feeling discomfort during the goalless draw with Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday.

    Inter confirmed the Belgium international has strained a muscle in his left thigh and that "his condition will be monitored daily".

    Lukaku is expected to sit out the Serie A match against Parma on Saturday and is reportedly likely to miss next Wednesday's visit to the Santiago Bernabeu.

    The news is a blow to head coach Antonio Conte, whose side have drawn each of their opening Group B matches with Borussia Monchengladbach and Shakhtar.

    Lukaku has scored nine goals in 11 appearances in all competitions this season.

  • Alli hooked among four Tottenham half-time changes, Bale soon follows Alli hooked among four Tottenham half-time changes, Bale soon follows

    Dele Alli's return to Tottenham's starting line-up lasted just 45 minutes as Jose Mourinho made four half-time changes at Royal Antwerp on Thursday.

    Alli had been restored to the first XI for the first time in over a month but was among a quartet of players to make way after a dismal first half in the Europa League group-stage clash.

    Giovani Lo Celso, Steven Bergwijn and Carlos Vinicius were all also substituted, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Erik Lamela, Lucas Moura and Son Heung-min introduced.

    Gareth Bale made way before the hour-mark with no immediate improvement in attack as Harry Kane was called for.

    Spurs trailed 1-0 to Antwerp after Lior Refaelov's first-half strike following an error at the back from Ben Davies.

    Tottenham had offered precious little going the other way, mustering seven shots – all from outside the box.

    Alli, who is yet to play more than an hour in a match this season, completed an underwhelming 74.2 per cent of his passes and won neither of his duels while failing to register a tackle, clearance or interception.

    The England midfielder created one of the seven speculative efforts in attack.

    Bale had two attempts but failed to hit the target and did not create a single chance.

  • Dele Alli returns to Tottenham XI in Antwerp Dele Alli returns to Tottenham XI in Antwerp

    Dele Alli was recalled to the Tottenham starting line-up for the first time in more than a month as they visited Royal Antwerp on Thursday.

    Jose Mourinho named the England midfielder alongside Gareth Bale in his XI for the Europa League group-stage clash in Belgium.

    Alli was substituted at half-time on the opening day of the Premier League season – a 1-0 defeat to Everton – and has not started a domestic match since, appearing only off the bench in a 6-1 win at Manchester United and otherwise failing to make the matchday squad.

    The 24-year-old's only other start in 2020-21 lasted just an hour against Shkendija in Europa League qualifying on September 24, with Alli making way for Harry Kane, who later scored, with Spurs drawing 1-1. He netted against Maccabi Haifa in one of two European substitute appearances to date.

    With Alli's Tottenham future seemingly in doubt prior to the Shkendija game, Mourinho said the player would stay at the club but had to own "99 per cent of the responsibility" to improve.

    Alli had two shots – one on target, one blocked – and created a single chance in North Macedonia but completed just 71 per cent of his passes, won only 16.7 per cent of his duels and failed to register a tackle, clearance or interception.

    In 45 minutes against Everton, Alli had seen his only shot saved and again created one chance. His passing accuracy was 76.5 per cent and he won 50 per cent of his duels, losing his only attempt at a tackle.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.