Napoli players pay tribute to 'special person' Ancelotti after sacking

By Sports Desk December 11, 2019

A host of Napoli players have paid tribute to Carlo Ancelotti following his sacking, with the Italian lauded as a "special person" by Lorenzo Insigne and others.

Ancelotti was dismissed on Tuesday despite guiding Napoli to a 4-0 win over Genk earlier in the day, securing their place in the last 16 of the Champions League.

It has been a difficult first half of the season for Napoli, with underwhelming league form combining with tension between Ancelotti and the club's hierarchy.

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis was reported to have ordered Ancelotti and the players to attend a training retreat in early November, but the squad failed to show up in what was deemed by the Italian media to be an act of open rebellion.

Napoli threatened sanctions in the wake of that situation and Ancelotti's days seemed to be numbered from then, with Tuesday's win over Genk their first win in any competition in well over a month.

After Napoli confirmed Ancelotti had been dismissed following a meeting with De Laurentiis, it seems he has retained the respect of the players.

Club captain Insigne – who acknowledged an up-and-down relationship with Ancelotti in October – wrote on his Instagram account: "Thank you boss - it was an honour to have worked with you and your staff. In these two years I met a special person. I wish you the best!"

Spanish midfielder Fabian Ruiz has developed into an important player for Napoli and Spain under Ancelotti. He also saluted the three-time Champions League-winning coach.

"Boss, thanks for everything you did," he wrote. "You have been a special person for me, I wish you the best, wherever you go you deserve the best. A big hug and good luck."

Allan added: "You were a special person, much more than a coach... I thank you for everything you've done in almost two years together... I wish you and all the staff good luck."

Kostas Manolas, Arkadiusz Milik, Kalidou Koulibaly and Hirving Lozano were among the others to post their thanks to Ancelotti, who has been strongly linked with the vacant managerial positions at Premier League duo Arsenal and Everton.

Gennaro Gattuso is expected to be announced as Ancelotti's successor on Wednesday.

Related items

  • Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career

    Lautaro Martinez is an "asset" for Inter and is happy at the Serie A club despite transfer links, according to their vice-president Javier Zanetti.

    Martinez, 22, is reportedly being targeted by the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid after impressing at Inter.

    The Argentina international has scored 16 goals in 31 games in all competitions this season.

    Zanetti said Martinez was happy at San Siro, where he arrived from Racing Club for a reported €22.7million in 2018.

    "I'm happy to talk about [Lautaro] because when we signed him we had been following him for some time," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "He was one of the most promising players in Argentine football and [Diego] Milito thought he'd have a big future.

    "Now he's an asset for us and he's grown a lot. I see him training every week. He's happy with us and I hope he stays for a long time."

    Martinez had helped Inter sit third, nine points behind leaders Juventus, in Serie A when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Zanetti hopes normal life can resume soon in Italy, which has been hit hard by coronavirus, with more than 13,900 deaths.

    "Thinking about recovery is very difficult today. Until April 13 it is right to stay home to allow the epidemiological curve to go down, then we will return to normal life gradually," he said.

    "We are in a dramatic situation all over the world. The coronavirus is affecting many populations and should not be underestimated."

  • De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero

    Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne belongs among the world's best alongside Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, according to Alessandro Del Piero.

    Messi and Ronaldo are widely regarded as the world's two best players, ahead of Paris Saint-Germain stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

    But Del Piero, a Juventus great, feels De Bruyne should be considered among the best.

    "To define the strongest player, you should specify in what," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "In addition to the sacred names such as Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar that attract the audience at 360 degrees, there are players of incredible depth, like De Bruyne."

    De Bruyne had scored nine goals and provided 18 assists in 35 games in all competitions before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero

    Alessandro Del Piero lauded Paulo Dybala and believes the Juventus star has become "complete" after an off-season transfer saga.

    Dybala, 26, was linked with a move away from the Serie A giants during the close season, but ended up staying before making an impressive start to the campaign.

    The Argentina international had scored 13 goals and provided seven assists in 34 games before the season was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Del Piero, a Juventus great, hailed the playmaker for his growth and said Dybala could be a future captain of the club.

    "Paulo has already worn the armband a few times and if it has already happened it is because they consider him to be up to it," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "As far as I know him personally, I believe that his maturity has grown a lot, primarily due to the reaction he had after this summer, which underlines the growth in terms of personality.

    "He has always been available and dedicated to work and I think he is complete in this respect too."

    Juventus were top of Serie A and in the Champions League last 16 when the season was suspended.

    Del Piero believes they can win the Champions League for the first time since 1996 if the campaign gets back underway.

    "If the tournament will start again, Juve have everything to win this year," he said.

    "There are teams that in different ways have the potential to win, but Juve can do it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.