Sarri seeking 'change of mentality' from already-qualified Juventus

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Maurizio Sarri wants to see signs of a "change of mentality" from Juventus against Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday.

The Bianconeri's place in the Champions League knockout stages is already clinched heading into matchday six, with Sarri's team guaranteed top spot in Group D.

Juve have won four and drawn one in Europe so far, continuing Sarri's impressive personal run in continental competition after he led Chelsea to Europa League success last season.

But his side are second in Serie A and lost for the first time this season against Lazio at the weekend, meaning Sarri sees room for improvement even in a fixture they need not win.

"We know that we have to work to do better, but we are calm," said Sarri. 

"We need a spark, but that can be many things. We've got to move the ball quickly and not defend too deep after we've taken the lead. It's important that we always try to control the game.

"These are all things that represent a change of mentality at Juventus, so they do not come automatically. We've seen them in moments, for example the first half in Rome [against Lazio]."

Sarri wants his side to demonstrate a strong mentality in their performance, even with their passage already secured as Leverkusen still hope to overhaul Atletico Madrid for second spot. 

"The first time I was contacted by the Juventus hierarchy, I asked how come they only managed three points in the final Serie A games of the season," he said. 

"I said it would be a bad sign of their mentality if they justified it with the fact the Scudetto had already been won.

"We have the privilege and the honour of playing in the Champions League. I expect a strong and focused performance, because there are always objectives. I ask for a performance, then the result can come or not."

Related items

  • England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement

    Sarina Wiegman will succeed Phil Neville as England Women's head coach from September next year. 

    The Netherlands boss will replace the former Manchester United defender on a four-year deal.

    Neville's contract expires in July 2021, with the 43-year-old having been appointed in January 2018.

    Wiegman will remain in charge of her home nation for the delayed Tokyo Olympics in 2021, while it remains to be seen who will oversee the Great Britain team in Japan.

    "England is the cradle of football and I'm very much looking forward to contributing my experience and expertise to this ambitious team," said Wiegman, who guided Netherlands to the Euro 2017 title and last year's World Cup final.

    Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Sarina was the outstanding candidate from a very strong field.

    "She is a proven winner and we are confident she can take England to the next level, giving us the best possible opportunity of achieving our ambition to win a major tournament."

    The 50-year-old's first opportunity to deliver on that will be at the postponed Women's Euros, now scheduled for July 2022.

  • FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon

    FC Dallas have strongly condemned "repulsive and unacceptable" racist comments and death threats Reggie Cannon has been subjected to this week. 

    Dallas defender Cannon criticised supporters who booed players for kneeling during the national anthem before his side returned to MLS action against Nashville on Wednesday.  

    Some fans were allowed into the game, which started after the teams showed their support of the Black Lives Matter movement. 

    Sportsmen and women have taken a knee worldwide since NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick became the first to do so in the 2016 season, protesting against police brutality and racial inequality. 

    But jeers were heard among supporters as Dallas, Nashville and the officials took a knee, with a water bottle also appearing to be thrown on the field in response. 

    Dallas chairman Clark Hunt and president Dan Hunt says the abuse United States international Cannon has come in for will not be tolerated. 

    "We want to be clear: We love and support Reggie Cannon. The racist comments and death threats he has received are repulsive and unacceptable," a statement from the duo said. 

    "There is no place in our sport, or in our country for that matter, for the kind of horrific vitriol Reggie has had to endure today. Hateful or violent threats are never warranted – especially when they are directed toward a member of our FC Dallas family. 

    "We will continue to work together – with our players, our coaches and our fans – against racism and in the cause of equality for all." 

    Full-back Cannon said after a 1-0 defeat for Dallas: "I think it was disgusting. I think it was absolutely disgusting.

    "You've got fans booing you for people taking a stand for what they believe in, and millions of other people support this cause.

    "We discussed with every other team and the league what we were going to do, and we've got fans booing us in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that?

    "For a lack of a better word, it p***** me off."

    Cannon said the players had asked for the anthem not to be played before the match but "they ignored our wishes".

    "We were going to kneel regardless if the anthem was played or not," he explained. "Unfortunately, it was played during the time when we asked for the anthem not to be played."

  • Thiago 'does not fit the Liverpool mould', says Reds great Thiago 'does not fit the Liverpool mould', says Reds great

    Bayern Munich star Thiago Alcantara "does not fit the mould" of what Liverpool require in their midfield, according to Reds great Steve Nicol.

    Liverpool have been tipped to move for Thiago after Bayern chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge last month confirmed the Spain international is seeking a move away.

    The German club's head coach Hansi Flick has encouraged the 29-year-old to join a Premier League club and the reigning champions are believed to be interested.

    Liverpool legend Nicol does not believe Thiago is the right type of player for Jurgen Klopp's energetic side, but he would still sign the Barcelona academy product to use as a back-up option.

    "I think he's a great footballer and he can pass the ball. Unfortunately, he just doesn't fit the mould of what Liverpool do in the middle of the park right now," he told ESPN.

    "Yes, he's got ability, but he also has to have dynamism, he has to have legs, he has to close down quickly, he's got to have energy. 

    "Those are things that all those players in the middle of the park for Liverpool have. That isn't Alcantara.

    "At the same time, having a player like that to bring on, he can play in the FA Cup, the League Cup, you can bring him on and give him half an hour to pass the ball around.

    "I would sign him, I think he's a quality player. If the money is right, go and get him."

    Thiago has featured 37 times for Bayern in all competitions this term and is in contention to start Friday's Champions League quarter-final with Barcelona.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.