EPL

Vitor Pereira rules himself out of running for Everton job

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Everton's reported plans to hire Vitor Pereira as the successor to Marco Silva have been scuppered after the Shanghai SIPG coach confirmed his intention to remain in China.

The Toffees sacked Silva following their 5-2 Merseyside derby defeat to Liverpool at the start of the month.

Club favourite Duncan Ferguson took charge at the weekend as Everton beat Chelsea 3-1 and the Scot was well received by supporters, though he distanced himself from suggestions he should lead the team full-time.

Pereira, Marcelino, Unai Emery and David Moyes had been linked with succeeding Silva, with the former reportedly their first choice.

But Pereira appears to have ended Everton's chances of bringing him to England.

"It's always a great honour [to be linked to such jobs]," he told Sky Sports News.

"It's a club [Everton] I have so much respect for, but at this point I am still coach of SIPG and it's a club close to my heart and in a country that's growing a lot in football.

"It means that in this moment I'm not in a position to make any other commitments. I need time to think and plan my future by looking at the options I have."

But Pereira did not rule out accepting a Premier League job in future.

"It's a league I love and for sure I'd like to consider an opportunity in the future, for sure," he added.

Related items

  • Fernandes and Eriksen on the bench as Spurs face Watford Fernandes and Eriksen on the bench as Spurs face Watford

    Jose Mourinho dropped Christian Eriksen from his Tottenham side as they lined up against Watford with the Denmark international joined on the bench by Benfica loanee Gedson Fernandes.

    Eriksen, a reported target for Inter, started for Spurs in their 2-1 FA Cup third-round replay victory over Middlesbrough on Tuesday but Mourinho opted for an attacking quartet of Giovani Lo Celso, Son Heung-min, Erik Lamela and Lucas Moura at Vicarage Road.

    Fernandes, who arrived on an 18-month loan deal in midweek, was Mourinho's first signing since he took charge and made his last appearance for Benfica in their 1-0 victory over Vitoria Guimaraes on January 4.

    Jan Vertonghen kept his place in central defence alongside the returning Toby Alderweireld but Davinson Sanchez was relegated to the bench.

  • Fernandes in the dark over Man United transfer, says Silas Fernandes in the dark over Man United transfer, says Silas

    Sporting CP coach Silas understands Bruno Fernandes' desire to play in the Premier League but claimed the Portugal international does not know if he has played his last game for the Lions.

    Reports suggesting Fernandes is on the verge of completing a £50m (€58.6m) switch to Old Trafford led to speculation that the 25-year-old's appearance in Sporting's 2-0 defeat at home to Benfica on Friday would be his last.

    While Silas sounded resigned to losing the midfielder, he remained hopeful that he may be able to select him for his side's Taca da Liga clash with Braga on Tuesday.

    "Bruno does the work of two or three players. I would prefer that he not leave," Silas told reporters.

    "We have to understand the ambition of the player, who prefers to play in a league superior to ours. There has been talk in the English league, but who wouldn't like to play there?

    "Bruno deserves everything and deserves to test himself in a league like this. If he's one of the best, he deserves to be there."

    Fernandes did not enjoy the best of games in the Lisbon derby, with Benfica's Rafa Silva stealing the limelight by scoring a brace in the last 20 minutes to secure victory for the Primeira Liga leaders.

    Sporting are fourth in the table and Fernandes' eight goals in 16 league appearances have been vital to his side's push for a top-four finish this season.

    Asked whether he believed Fernandes had played his last game for Sporting, Silas said: "I hope not. So far we don't know, nor does Bruno know.

    "We will try to keep him for more games, but it's not up to us.

    "He deserves the best championship in the world. The only wish I have is the best for him."

  • Rumour Has It: Barca, Juve in Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap talks Rumour Has It: Barca, Juve in Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap talks

    Barcelona and Juventus are in talks about a possible swap deal involving Ivan Rakitic and Federico Bernardeschi.

    Rakitic was linked with an exit from Camp Nou during the close season, but ended up staying at Barca.

    But he could be on his way to Turin and Bernardeschi may be heading in the opposite direction.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA, JUVE IN RAKITIC-BERNARDESCHI SWAP TALKS

    Barcelona and Juventus are discussing a possible swap deal involving Rakitic and Bernardeschi, according to AS.

    The report says Rakitic – who has made just six LaLiga starts this season – has already agreed personal terms with the Serie A giants.

    However, the clubs are yet to reach an agreement, with Rakitic six years older than Italy international Bernardeschi.

    ROUND-UP

    - There is still work to be done if Bruno Fernandes is to find his way to Manchester United. The Daily Mail and The Sun report United want to pay Sporting CP £34million (€39.9m) with a further £25.5m (€29.9m) in add-ons, including bonuses for the English club winning the Premier League and Champions League.

    - Atletico Madrid are not giving up on trying to land Edinson Cavani in this window. The LaLiga side are still eyeing a move for the Paris Saint-Germain forward, according to Marca, although they are hoping to negotiate a lower price than the €30m the Ligue 1 club are reportedly wanting.

    - The wait continues for Inter as they try to sign Christian Eriksen. CalcioMercato reports Eriksen's agent Martin Schoots is scheduled to meet Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy in London next week as the midfielder tries to get his move to the Serie A giants.

    - Chelsea are favourites to sign RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner ahead of the 2020-21 season, according to The Sun, but it may take a £68m (€79.8m) deal to land the 23-year-old.

    - Arsenal are set for talks with Athletico Paranaense to negotiate a deal for midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, according to Globo Esporte.

    - Staying at Arsenal and France Football reports Paris Saint-Germain left-back Layvin Kurzawa has agreed to join the Premier League club for free at season's end.

    - Javier Hernandez will become one of the highest paid players in MLS. Sports Illustrated reports LA Galaxy will pay Sevilla $9.4m (€8.5m) for the forward, who is set to earn $6m annually, with the potential for that to rise due to bonuses.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.