EPL

Arsenal interested in Paulo Sousa, claims entourage of Bordeaux coach

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Arsenal have identified Bordeaux coach Paulo Sousa as a potential successor to Unai Emery, a source close to the Portuguese tactician has claimed.

Following an underwhelming start to the season, Emery was dismissed by Arsenal in late November, with Freddie Ljungberg taking over in an interim capacity.

Although Ljungberg guided Arsenal to a 3-1 win at West Ham on Monday, the Swede is not thought to be in contention for the job on a full-time basis.

Patrick Vieira, Marcelino Garcia Toral, Carlo Ancelotti and Mikel Arteta have all been linked with the vacancy at the Premier League club.

But Sousa, who has taken Bordeaux to fifth in the Ligue 1 table this season, is also attracting interest, according to his entourage.

They told L'Equipe: "They like his profile as a coach but also as a person – we've been blown away.

"That doesn't mean he'll leave. They've targeted several candidates, but Paulo is one of them, certainly. Between the two [Arsenal and Sousa], it could be a match.

"With all the problems at Bordeaux, why wouldn't he leave? The project is not what he was promised, that's a fact.

"He loves the fans, but he needs more from the board - this team is not strong enough to finish in the top six."

Sousa is no stranger to English football having already coached QPR, Swansea City and Leicester City, while he has also had spells in charge of Basel, Fiorentina and Tianjin Quanjian in China.

Despite apparently having a desire to talk with Sousa, Bordeaux's head of recruitment Eduardo Macia insists the Gunners have not been in touch with the club.

"It would be normal that he arouses interest, but we have not been contacted," Macia told L'Equipe.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: PSG's Mbappe interested in Liverpool move, Madrid back Zidane Rumour Has It: PSG's Mbappe interested in Liverpool move, Madrid back Zidane

    What does the future hold for Kylian Mbappe?

    For so long, the Paris Saint-Germain forward has been tipped to join Real Madrid.

    However, Mbappe is believed to be attracted to the idea of leaving Parc des Princes for Anfield.

     

    TOP STORY – MBAPPE INTRIGUED BY LIVERPOOL

    Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe is interested in a move to Premier League champions Liverpool, according to Le Parisien.

    Mbappe is contracted to PSG until 2022 but the France international forward has reportedly made it clear he has no plans to extend his deal in Paris.

    He has long been linked with LaLiga champions Real Madrid, though the 21-year-old is attracted to Liverpool's style of play. Barcelona have also emerged as a possible destination.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Zinedine Zidane retains the backing of Madrid following last week's shock defeat to newly promoted Cadiz, says AS. Head coach Zidane has come in for criticism after Madrid's first loss of the season. While delivering LaLiga glory last term, Zidane is reportedly under pressure to succeed in the Champions League following their last-16 exit in 2019-20.

    - The Daily Star says Arsenal outcast Mesut Ozil is wanted by MLS outfit DC United. Wayne Rooney previously played for DC between 2018 and 2020.

    - Todofichajes claims PSG and United are interested in Inter midfielder Christian Eriksen, who has struggled to establish himself in Milan since arriving from Tottenham in January.

    Tottenham are close to agreeing a contract extension with Spurs star Son Heung-min, reports The Athletic.

  • Man Utd's Ighalo condemns Nigeria killings as Anthony Joshua joins fight for change Man Utd's Ighalo condemns Nigeria killings as Anthony Joshua joins fight for change

    Manchester United striker Odion Ighalo labelled Nigeria's government "killers" after security forces and soldiers reportedly opened fire on protestors in Lagos.

    There have been ongoing protests in Nigeria against police brutality and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) police unit, which has been accused of killings, torture and extortion.

    A 24-hour curfew was imposed on Tuesday, but protestors still took to the streets before fleeing as live rounds where shot towards the crowd.

    Former Nigeria international Ighalo responded to the violence following United's 2-1 Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    "I'm sad and I don't know where to start from," Ighalo said in a video message shared via social media.

    "I'm not the kind of guy who talks about politics - but I can't keep quiet anymore about what is going on back home in Nigeria.

    "I would say [to the] government are a shame to the world - for killing your own citizens, sending military to the streets, to kill [unarmed] protesters because they are protesting for their rights. It's uncalled for.

    "Today, 20th of October 2020, you people will be remembered in the history as the first government to send military to the city to start killing their own citizens.

    "I am ashamed of this government. I am tired of you guys. I can't take this anymore. I'm calling the UK government, calling all those leaders in the world to please see what is going on in Nigeria and help us - help the poor citizens.

    "The government are killing their own citizens. We are calling [the world's governments], the United Nations, to see to the matter.

    "I want to tell my brothers and sisters back home to remain safe. Be indoors, please don't come [outside]. Because this government are killers and they will keep killing if the world does not talk about this. God bless you all. Remain safe. One Nigeria."

    British-Nigerian boxing star Anthony Joshua also joined the fight for change amid the unrest.

    WBA, IBF and IBO heavyweight champion Joshua, born to a Nigerian mother and father of Nigerian ancestry, tweeted: "The situation has escalated, the violence and killings are horrendous. All because of people saying they want to live in peace?

    "I pray God opens the gates for the heroes of Nigeria! This was never a trend for me! It's real life and I want to learn how to make lasting change.

    "I'm looking at hospitals to support, along with food and care packages in the time being."

  • Chelsea 0-0 Sevilla: Blues kick off Champions League campaign with goalless draw Chelsea 0-0 Sevilla: Blues kick off Champions League campaign with goalless draw

    Chelsea kicked off their Champions League campaign with a Stamford Bridge stalemate as they were held 0-0 by Sevilla.

    An even contest between the two favourites for progression from Group E produced plenty of chances, but neither side could apply the finishing touch necessary to claim all three points.

    Rennes' draw with FK Krasnodar in France meant that it was honours even across the group following the first matchday.

    Chelsea's leaky defence had come in for scrutiny once again following a weekend Premier League outing that saw them held to a 3-3 draw by Southampton.

    And head coach Frank Lampard's nerves will not have been helped by Thiago Silva's failure to make a seemingly simple headed clearance during an early passage of play that led to a Lucas Ocampos shot, albeit from a marginally offside position.

    Saturday's result had no doubt contributed to a defensive reshuffle that saw Edouard Mendy replace Kepa Arrizabalaga in goal among other changes.

    The potential value of that particular switch was shown after 18 minutes when the Blues' recent signing was on hand to claw away a Nemanja Gudelj header that had been diverted goalward by a deflection off Kurt Zouma.

    At the other end, Chelsea evidenced their own threat when Timo Werner produced his team's first shot on target following a sweeping move involving the lively Reece James.

    Still, they could not entirely limit Sevilla, who came close through a Suso header following brilliant work from Marcos Acuna and an Ocampos shot that needed a Mendy save just prior to the whistle sounding.

    Although Lampard opted against making substitutions at the break, a tactical tweak that saw Christian Pulisic move from the right side to the left almost paid immediate dividends.

    The American's quick feet earned Chelsea a corner that saw Zouma head on target, and he followed that with another dangerous cross from his preferred flank just seconds later.

    With Pulisic benefiting from a direct approach, the Blues called for more thrust on the opposite wing with an hour gone as Hakim Ziyech replaced the ineffectual Mason Mount.

    But their opponents were by no means ready to give up their share of the points and went close themselves when Joan Jordan showed great technique in volleying just over the bar from a corner.

    What does it mean? Chelsea cure defensive blues

    Although a draw at Stamford Bridge is rarely welcome for a team of Chelsea's ambitions, Lampard will take great encouragement from a hard-earned clean sheet for his side.

    Europa League holders Sevilla created some chances, of course, but the Blues looked infinitely more defensively solid than they have during a chaotic start to the season.

    Mendy offers keeper hope

    After Kepa produced another erratic display against Southampton, there was pressure on Chelsea's new goalkeeper to shine on his return to the team.

    While the Frenchman wasn't particularly busy, making just two saves, his handling was impressive enough to fill Blues fans with hope that they may have found their new number one.

    Havertz quiet in Blues attack

    While Werner was a constant threat in behind and Pulisic improved once he moved to the left, it was a quiet night for one man in the Chelsea attack: Kai Havertz.

    The German took 67 touches but failed to have a shot or produce a key pass, and he surrendered possession on 15 separate occasions.

    What's next?

    Chelsea return to Premier League action on Saturday when they travel north for a mouth-watering clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford. Sevilla, meanwhile, face Eibar at home in La Liga.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.